• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sal Buscema is a God
1 1

175 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 2:55 AM, Rick2you2 said:

You’re the pro, as well as a student of the subject. So, I’ll defer to your knowledge and expertise. However… it’s Mendoza line. 

Doh!!! I knew that but you are 100 correct! Where is spell check when you need it?! If one is going to make an online point like I was, at least spell it correctly! :boo:

Do any of the Sal fans on this list like his pairing with Klaus Janson, such as a big chunk of the later Defenders run? It was the only time I actively bought any Sal books, but it was because of what Klaus did to Sal's pencils. I know that Janson was very heavy handed, but that's exactly why I loved it! Super dense shadows, secondary light sources, delicate details...LOVED IT!

On 4/18/2022 at 12:14 AM, stinkininkin said:

Do any of the Sal fans on this list like his pairing with Klaus Janson, such as a big chunk of the later Defenders run? It was the only time I actively bought any Sal books, but it was because of what Klaus did to Sal's pencils. I know that Janson was very heavy handed, but that's exactly why I loved it! Super dense shadows, secondary light sources, delicate details...LOVED IT!

No, I hated Janson's inks on Sal.  They were so stylistically different that it was like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, stinkininkin said:

When I was buying those issues off the racks, I didn't care for Janson's inks so much. I found them visually interesting but too dark, heavy and claustrophobic. But then in later years I came around to really appreciate and love them; I consider that part of the run the best art on the title.

There are some penciler-inker combos that work, and some that would be terrible.

Janson, and before him Tom Palmer, worked well for artists who had a heavier, darker style.  Gene Colan and Palmer, for example.  They complemented each other.  Janson would've been terrible on someone like Byrne or Jim Lee.  Janson inking Sal was like Robert Fripp playing guitar on a Ramones album.

"Fine line" inkers like Colletta did not work on an artist like Kirby, which most people agree to be the case.  I don't know if John Severin ever inked Kirby, but I think it would've been a complete disaster if he had, even though I generally like Severin's inks and love his pencils.  

On 4/18/2022 at 2:42 PM, tth2 said:

There are some penciler-inker combos that work, and some that would be terrible.

Janson, and before him Tom Palmer, worked well for artists who had a heavier, darker style.  Gene Colan and Palmer, for example.  They complemented each other.  Janson would've been terrible on someone like Byrne or Jim Lee.  Janson inking Sal was like Robert Fripp playing guitar on a Ramones album.

"Fine line" inkers like Colletta did not work on an artist like Kirby, which most people agree to be the case.  I don't know if John Severin ever inked Kirby, but I think it would've been a complete disaster if he had, even though I generally like Severin's inks and love his pencils.  

Severin inked Kirby in Yellow Claw #4 and did finished art over Kirby layouts on Nick Fury in Strange Tales #136-138, which I liked fine.  I wasn't crazy about Byrne/Janson on Avengers #182 & 183 or Wolverine #17-23, but didn't mind the Lee/Janson combo on Punisher War Journal #11.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:26 PM, Timely said:

Classic splash page to Marvel Team-up Annual #1 featuring the team-up of Spider-Man & the newly formed X-Men team!

1st appearance of the New X-Men outside of their own title. This comic came out the same time as X-Men #101. That makes this the 11th appearance of Wolverine & the 10th appearance of the New X-Men. This is also the 2nd appearance of Jean Grey as the Pheonix!

According to Mike's Amazing World, Marvel Team-Up Annual #1 was published after X-Men #102, which I think would make it the 14th Wolverine, 11th New X-Men and 3rd Phoenix, who was later retconned not to have been Jean Grey.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, tth2 said:

No, I hated Janson's inks on Sal.  They were so stylistically different that it was like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Fair enough. I've said all along that Klaus was inking in a very dominating style, which for me meant taking an artist that did inherently uninteresting work (Sal) and made it interesting (Sal and Klaus). To me. It didn't matter that it wasn't a good "fit" stylistically or not (round peg/square hole), because I wasn't going to give the more "pure" Sal much of a look unless someone like Klaus gave it a jump start. 

Edited by stinkininkin

On 4/18/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:
On 4/18/2022 at 9:42 AM, tth2 said:

Severin inked Kirby in Yellow Claw #4 and did finished art over Kirby layouts on Nick Fury in Strange Tales #136-138, which I liked fine.  I wasn't crazy about Byrne/Janson on Avengers #182 & 183 or Wolverine #17-23, but didn't mind the Lee/Janson combo on Punisher War Journal #11.

I LOVE Severin on Kirby in that issue of Yellow Claw. Severin's style is all over it but it works wonderfully. It's a bit like Ditko over Kirby, two strong styles but working together.

1926_o.jpg

Severin Kirby.JPG

Severin Kirby 2.JPG

On 4/19/2022 at 12:49 AM, stinkininkin said:

Fair enough. I've said all along that Klaus was inking in a very dominating style, which for me meant taking an artist that did inherently uninteresting work (Sal) and made it interesting (Sal and Klaus). To me. It didn't matter that it wasn't a good "fit" stylistically or not (round peg/square hole), because I wasn't going to give the more "pure" Sal much of a look unless someone like Klaus gave it a jump start. 

Fair enough, but the Defenders was a plain vanilla superhero team comic book.  Janson's dark, dominating inks didn't fit their storylines. 

In terms of characters, in my mind he worked best for characters who operated primarily at night with darker, heavier storylines.   

On 4/19/2022 at 1:33 AM, Pontoon said:

I LOVE Severin on Kirby in that issue of Yellow Claw. Severin's style is all over it but it works wonderfully. It's a bit like Ditko over Kirby, two strong styles but working together.

1926_o.jpg

Severin Kirby.JPG

Severin Kirby 2.JPG

That's the thing.  It looks like Severin, and I love Severin, but what's the point of having Kirby doing the pencils if it's not going to look like Kirby?