• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sal Buscema is a God
1 1

175 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, zhamlau said:

Its quality work, superior to most art in comics these days, and he is producing it in his 80's. Nearly every other artist when they hit even close to this age is coasting on diminished skills and nostalgia.

Again, some folks "don't get it" and can't see the value in 50+ year active streak where he worked at a high level loved by fans of multiple generations. He isn't flashy, I get it. He was just consistently very good and multi-talented for many many decades in a way no other artist really has ever been. You take any one year out as an example of course you can find someone you might like better, maybe a few guys even. So be it. The issue is when you add up that 50 year stream of constant mainstream fan supported work, the quality output and longevity really start to make an impact on the artist and his legacy.

I think of baseball whenever I see this discussion.

You hit .290 with 25 HR and 160 hits one year, hey that's pretty good. Not gonna be MVP most likely but you could make an all star game.

You do that same stat line consistently for 25 years straight...you go into the hall first ballot and you are guaranteed in the discussion of "all time great players".

So by this logic, Jamie Moyer should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? He pitched for 26 years, and thereby accumulated 269 wins. 

Most fans wouldn't agree. Neither have the Hall of Fame voters.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:59 AM, delekkerste said:

Sal Buscema is such a god that some guy created his own ultra-high quality bootleg Sal B. Artist Edition! (worship) 

@tth2

They didn't mention the requisite Sal Buscema strings of saliva in the mouth, even when the guy literally put his finger on a drawing of a salivating mouth! 

Sal has worked on Just about every key Marvel title during his long tenure with the Company.

So, love him or hate him, when you think of Sal Buscema do you associate his work with a particular character or title or storyline?  To me, nothing really jumps out from a storyline perspective or character/title.

he was just…there.  

On 1/31/2023 at 6:11 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Sal has worked on Just about every key Marvel title during his long tenure with the Company.

So, love him or hate him, when you think of Sal Buscema do you associate his work with a particular character or title or storyline?  To me, nothing really jumps out from a storyline perspective or character/title.

he was just…there.  

Probably it is just me, but I associate Sal paricularly with early Defenders and Cap America mid '50s (including Secret Empire).  And let's not forget that many consider him a major Hulk artist.  Surely we are not talking Byrne Austin UXM or Miller Janson DD, but still very competent super hero stories.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:33 PM, batman_fan said:

Pure Sal in all is Sal-e-ness :luhv:

A3817028-93BD-4808-8708-7304CFA63754.jpeg.99c683cbb91f6f141288516168c5aa95.jpeg

I like early '70s Sal. I'm pretty indifferent to most of his art after about the mid-'70s, though, some of it works when paired with a strong inker (e.g., Bob McLeod inking him on New Mutants in the early '80s). 2c 

On 1/31/2023 at 12:25 PM, delekkerste said:

I like early '70s Sal. I'm pretty indifferent to most of his art after about the mid-'70s, though, some of it works when paired with a strong inker (e.g., Bob McLeod inking him on New Mutants in the early '80s). 2c 

Those early New Mutants issues were great !  

IMHO....One of the "earmarks" of a "successful artist who should be worthy of God Status" is the ability of that draftsman to create works
whose creator can be immediately recognized because of their uniqueness and singular style. You KNOW Kirby's works immediately upon
seeing them. You KNOW Wrightson's works the second you see them and so on Adams, BWS, Byrne, Perez and dozens of other artists
whose unique and identifiable style made them the legends that they are.

A good percentage of comic art fans (with the possible exception of those more experienced "eyes" hanging around these boards) would be
hard pressed to immediately recognize and identify S. Buscema's works upon seeing it. Being "competent" or responsible for volumes of work
does not make the artist worthy of "god status." For every Frazetta there will be dozens, if not hundreds of sci-fi/fantasy artists who works will
mostly go unrecognized or appear in the "can you tell me who painted this?" posts.

For every Winsor McCay there will be hundreds of strip artists that no one will ever know and for every Frank Miller there will be S. Buscemas,
Don Perlins, Ron Wilsons and dozens and dozens of other "competent" artists who may be "good and reliable at what they do," but will hardly
stand the test of time.

Edited by steve9999
misspelling

On 1/31/2023 at 12:11 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

he was just…there.  

For whatever it's worth, Sal's Hulk is my Hulk.  He was on the title forever and he is a solid storyteller.

I'm not in the deity crowd, but I associate him with the Hulk, and I'm not sure if anyone had a longer run on that character.  

On 2/1/2023 at 1:11 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Captain America in the mid-1970s, although it was probably more Steve Englehart's great scripts that I enjoyed, and Sal happened to be along for the ride.  The value of Sal's innocuousness was demonstrated later in hindsight, however, when Frank Robbins took over from Sal and completely ruined some excellent stories by Englehart.  I realized then that by being so plain vanilla, Sal hadn't detracted from the stories and allowed us Cap fans to enjoy Englehart's writing.

I also associate Sal with the Defenders during that period.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, rsonenthal said:

For whatever it's worth, Sal's Hulk is my Hulk.  He was on the title forever and he is a solid storyteller.

I'm not in the deity crowd, but I associate him with the Hulk, and I'm not sure if anyone had a longer run on that character.  

I always thought that Herb Trimpe was the artist most associated with BA Hulk.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:51 PM, Rick2you2 said:

So by this logic, Jamie Moyer should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? He pitched for 26 years, and thereby accumulated 269 wins. 

Most fans wouldn't agree. Neither have the Hall of Fame voters.

You can pitch a long time at 61 mph lol 

On 4/16/2022 at 1:35 PM, boomtown said:

My favorite period for Buscema art was when he did the Avengers in the early 1970s with inks by Grainger. Squadron Sinister, Invaders, Scorpio, he was at his finest. By the mid 1970s he had developed a bunch of short cuts because he was producing so much work.

me too!  :acclaim:

avengers_70_pg_17med.thumb.jpg.6e24b108124bf888ede2866f86abcc1f.jpg