• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sal Buscema is a God
1 1

175 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 12:49 AM, stinkininkin said:

Fair enough. I've said all along that Klaus was inking in a very dominating style, which for me meant taking an artist that did inherently uninteresting work (Sal) and made it interesting (Sal and Klaus). To me. It didn't matter that it wasn't a good "fit" stylistically or not (round peg/square hole), because I wasn't going to give the more "pure" Sal much of a look unless someone like Klaus gave it a jump start. 

Which raises an interesting question--if Janson had such a strong style, which he was determined to impose on whoever was doing the pencils, why didn't he just become a penciler rather than being an inker who overrode his pencilers?

At some point, wouldn't an editor have said to him (or any other inker who overpowered the pencils) "You were hired to play rhythm guitar, not lead".

On 4/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, tth2 said:

Which raises an interesting question--if Janson had such a strong style, which he was determined to impose on whoever was doing the pencils, why didn't he just become a penciler rather than being an inker who overrode his pencilers?

At some point, wouldn't an editor have said to him (or any other inker who overpowered the pencils) "You were hired to play rhythm guitar, not lead".

I feel that Janson was a much better inker than a penciller (and he's done a ton of pencilling). He got to work with other really great artists, which is a rare treat, incentivizing him to ink primarily (something I can relate to).  And overpowering inkers is not a bad thing if the pairing is appropriate (and you happen to like the ink style, but a terrible thing if you don't). 

Edited by stinkininkin

On 4/18/2022 at 9:09 PM, tth2 said:

Fair enough, but the Defenders was a plain vanilla superhero team comic book.  Janson's dark, dominating inks didn't fit their storylines. 

In terms of characters, in my mind he worked best for characters who operated primarily at night with darker, heavier storylines.   

Well, can't comment on the tone of the storylines and tone, as I bought all of those Buscema/Janson issues and never read a single issue. I bought it purely for the art, and by that I mean purely for the inks.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:09 AM, tth2 said:

Fair enough, but the Defenders was a plain vanilla superhero team comic book.  Janson's dark, dominating inks didn't fit their storylines. 

In terms of characters, in my mind he worked best for characters who operated primarily at night with darker, heavier storylines.   

The three issues Janson inked in the teens may have been straightforward super-hero fare written by Len Wein, but Steve Gerber's run, with its brain transplants and mind swaps, satirising of the EST movement, and a homicidal elf with a gun, was anything but plain vanilla.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

On 4/19/2022 at 8:40 PM, Michaeld said:

Why is it that every time someone says "with all due respect" the next thing they say is disrespectful?

Because I’m flat out disrespecting Sal, of course, but I’m still acknowledging that he IS due some respect.    He was a professional artist that did professional work and I understand why some people would like the work.

(failing eyesight!   Rimshot!)

On 4/19/2022 at 10:07 PM, Bronty said:

Because I’m flat out disrespecting Sal, of course, but I’m still acknowledging that he IS due some respect.    He was a professional artist that did professional work and I understand why some people would like the work.

(failing eyesight!   Rimshot!)

An acquired taste, like eating sea squirts (much worse than eating sea cucumbers). But, the Koreans, at least, like them.

He filled the page. Period.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:09 AM, tth2 said:

Fair enough, but the Defenders was a plain vanilla superhero non-team comic book.  Janson's dark, dominating inks didn't fit their storylines. 

On 4/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, stinkininkin said:

Do any of the Sal fans on this list like his pairing with Klaus Janson, such as a big chunk of the later Defenders run? It was the only time I actively bought any Sal books, but it was because of what Klaus did to Sal's pencils. I know that Janson was very heavy handed, but that's exactly why I loved it! Super dense shadows, secondary light sources, delicate details...LOVED IT!

LOVED Klaus on Sal in the Defenders run and my favorite Hulk issue is 227 where Klaus made a guest inking appearance. If you have a 227 page, please feel free to reach out as I would be most interested. 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, stinkininkin said:

Fair enough. I've said all along that Klaus was inking in a very dominating style, which for me meant taking an artist that did inherently uninteresting work (Sal) and made it interesting (Sal and Klaus). To me. It didn't matter that it wasn't a good "fit" stylistically or not (round peg/square hole), because I wasn't going to give the more "pure" Sal much of a look unless someone like Klaus gave it a jump start. 

I thought Klaus worked very well over Sal also but everyone has differing tastes. I preferred the inkers that stayed very true to Sal's line - the Joe S duo (Sinnott and Staton) come to mind in that regard. But there were some heavier stylized inkers that worked well over Sal also - in addition to Klaus, Ernie Chan and Gerry Talaoc created a great look as a team with Sal. My .02

What a great thread, despite some of the no-value-added posts. Sal was a great artist and my personal favorite and it is nice to see the rising tide in his values in the market, even if it has slowed down my acquisitions. I am always looking to add Sal art! 

Love the pics posted from the first dozen issues in the Hulk run that were posted - I have a few from the era and they are cherished pieces in my collection. 

Keep posting Sal art!