• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Expertise/Experience no longer matter to be a dealer?
8 8

248 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 8:47 PM, Artboy99 said:

sounds like a very guarded seller, I will give you that. Putting myself in his place and if I had a potential buyer looking at my CGC 9.6 book I would have down-played your grading calling the book a 9.2 because of the defects by simply saying "well that is why CGC grading exists to establish a grading standard for both of us so my grading isn't in question and neither is yours. How about $85?"

If he had said that I probably would have bought the book and then hopefully had a conversation regarding the books merits. But that would have meant doing that pesky customer relations stuff. From what I gather from others at the con he didn't make a sale that day.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, Krydel4 said:

If he had said that I probably would have bought the book and then hopefully had a conversation regarding the books merits. But that would have meant doing that pesky customer relations stuff. From what I gather from others at the con he didn't make a sale that day.

You know you wouldnt have, c'mon man!

A dealer jerk at a con.  But the funny thing is, for you, that's man bites dog, a distasteful experience out of the ordinary.  But for many of us it's yeh ok business as usual so what move on, doesn't occupy another second of thought.

Many of us grew up being dumped on by dealers, that's just the way it was.  They had the books, we didn't, don't make waves or you don't get any books EVER.

So for some of us it kinda looks like when did con attendees become sensitive snowflakes discerning consumers who want a right attitude and a conversation with their book?

Edited by Dr. Love

You know what guys ...... lets leave the buyer alone, he is obviously clueless and contradicting himself.  

But his seller is the real insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  If I owned this book, and someone offered me $80, I'd take it run!!!!! 

HAHAHAHA

I come in peace, but this thread was too funny to stop reading.  Happy collecting everyone :)

On 4/16/2022 at 9:10 PM, oakman29 said:

You know you wouldnt have, c'mon man!

He was a really young guy. And like I said I hadn't seen him before and I had been to all of the Cons in my area since restrictions lifted. I wouldn't have made an offer if I wasn't interested. But like I said the response and attitude put me off. I didn't mention anything about the condition of the book until after I made my offer. Maybe it was his first Con as a seller , maybe it wasn't. Didn't get to find out. Didn't want to after his response. The money wasn't an issue but I have been trying to help people out when I can especially after the Covid put businesses thru as I had one of my favorite places have to close because of it and it made me more acutely aware of the how precarious some businesses are.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:59 PM, Artboy99 said:

a guy I know from the Vancouver area attended a Calgary Expo as a vendor and his booth was filled with color copies of the books he was offering. Talk about unwelcoming.

I once cracked out a comic at a show by going "hulk mode" on the book. Placed it at the very edge of a table with the top part of the slab over hanging slightly. Held the slab firmly in place with one hand and with the other did a "hulk-smash" slab cracking manuever. Then after the mayhem I "delicately" removed the book from the cracked slab and placed it into a bag with board for the buyer. The look on his face was priceless.

I seemed to recall another dealer buying a WWBN 32 from you and taking it out of the slab right in front of you.

On 4/16/2022 at 11:43 PM, wombat said:

I don't get the attitude to always offer less than asking. So if the person has it listed at what you would consider a very good price you will still try and haggle over the price?

A friend I used to go to comic marts with would haggle down over buying a single £2.50 comic.  I remember it well.

For some it's a game, regardless of magnitude.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:27 AM, Krydel4 said:

Thank you for the offer but I prefer the hunt. My Topic and post example was not meant to be a whinging post but more of a comment and thought starter on the general attitude and setup I've encountered among new dealers at the last few cons I've been to over the last year since things started up again from Covid shutdowns.

It really isn't new.  Many examples of behaviour I've seen as discourteous or abusive over the decades I've been collecting; at cons, in shops.  It's subjective, and not everyone will agree with your interpretation. 

On 4/17/2022 at 5:10 AM, Dr. Love said:

Many of us grew up being dumped on by dealers, that's just the way it was.  They had the books, we didn't, don't make waves or you don't get any books EVER.

Good point. Once a shop owner, employee or dealer believes they have a monopoly, courtesy and respect for the desperate, 'dependent' consumer can be seen to vanish.  Once that addict dynamic manifests, it's time to move on.

But, you often find the opposite kind of personality as well, helpful people I've bought from for many years. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/16/2022 at 11:31 PM, Artboy99 said:

You need to try being a seller. Take the immeasurable amount of time it takes to put together a selection of books and price them all and pay for the table space to attend a convention. Wake up early the day of the show to load up all your boxes of books and haul them to the show. Setup and get ready for the day. Try it just once, after you do you will never make a thread like this one again. Trust me.

+100