• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 121 or 122 ??
3 3

32 posts in this topic

So, if I could just choose one of them, not based on value, it would be ASM 121.

I think 121 was a jarring shock to Spidey readers and others who picked up the book at the time of publication.  Poor Gwen Stacy, beloved girlfriend of Peter Parker, killed at the hands of his (then) greatest enemy, the Green Goblin.

With this book, many folks said the age of innocence in comics was lost and ushered in an era of grittier stories and characters with suspect personal morals.  It is one of the few books that folks can point to as the start of the Bronze Age for Marvel, whereby the style and direction of storytelling changed significantly from the Silver Age.

Your mileage may vary.

122. I love yellow covers, but I always thought the cover to 121 was super dull, and these days, since I own the actual stories in omnibus, masterworks, and other reprints, the cover is really the only part of these comics I'd be looking at.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, if I could just choose one of them, not based on value, it would be ASM 121.

I think 121 was a jarring shock to Spidey readers and others who picked up the book at the time of publication.  Poor Gwen Stacy, beloved girlfriend of Peter Parker, killed at the hands of his (then) greatest enemy, the Green Goblin.

With this book, many folks said the age of innocence in comics was lost and ushered in an era of grittier stories and characters with suspect personal morals.  It is one of the few books that folks can point to as the start of the Bronze Age for Marvel, whereby the style and direction of storytelling changed significantly from the Silver Age.

Your mileage may vary.

Yes, you couldn't have stated the effect of ASM 121.  This was a shocker to me when I first read it having a really good character die off.  122 is powerful too.  I really have a hard time separating the two.  
I think you have to have both but if there's only room for one then it's 121 for me.