• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Reading Club!
6 6

1,000 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 9:47 PM, Axe Elf said:

Wow, given that it's "dated" October of 1965, the end of July seems a bit early even for a release date.  But yeah, even closer, even better.

Generally, you want the cover date on a book to reflect the END of the on-sale period; otherwise it would get pulled before the next issue showed up.  With a quarterly release schedule, the next issue should have shown up late October... which lines up perfectly with the cover date.  It just feels early since they went with a month, not a season, and it was on a slow release schedule.

I guess as I started to read Blazing Combat #1, I was mentally strapping in for some amazing adventures, fantastic situations, and ironic plot twists that would hit me in the gut.  But what I got was initially underwhelming--"Viet-Cong" was nothing more than a normal workday for a Vietnam soldier, with the lead character even likening his 9-5 sortie as being just like clocking in and out for his job back home.

So I kind of shrugged it off and went on to the next, and the next... but none were particularly gloriuous... just snapshots in time more than real "stories" in the usual sense...

By the time I got through the last story, "Enemy," it dawned on me that this was kind of the point--war stories aren't fantastic, or surreal, or even necessarily great stories, they're just ordinary days filled with ordinary lives being snuffed out with little to no actual fanfare or glory.  The utter commonplace nature of human beings sacrificing decades of life experiences for "The Long View" of their side's ideology is what hit me the hardest about this magazine--it wasn't just the senselessness of it all, but the normalization of the senselessness of it all.

1041706292_MudBody.thumb.JPG.8e8d4437f80be2856a0338c72f5f2284.JPG

As expected, the art was top notch throughout, and I would agree that these are some of the best stories Archie Goodwin has put forward yet--for the reasons stated above.  He manages to capture the "grit" of it all and make the normalized senselessness the star of the show.

The second time through "Viet-Cong," I could stop expecting Big Things to Happen, and just involve myself in the soldier's internal dialog regarding the rotting reeds, the sun baking his helmet, the mosquitos, the mud--I could immerse myself in the everyday nature of the narrative and empathize, putting myself in his position, and ultimately, that was a more satisfying reading than my first time rushing through to find the action.

"Aftermath" had probably the most "Warrenesque" ending of them all--the irony that idealism doesn't mean much when you're hog chow.

In "Flying Tigers," there is some departure from the theme of senseless death, as the sacrifice made by Dallas actually played a tangible part in advancing the war effort--but ultimately it didn't seem like that sacrifice was given much more than a passing nod by those for whom the sacrifice was made.

"Long View" perfectly expresses that sort of passing acknowledgment of personal sacrifice by the impersonal powers that be--"thanks for helping us take that hill!"--while the lone survivor acknowledges the sacrifice of his fallen friends much more deeply.  People are just game pieces in war.

Things get even more personal in "Cantigny," where a kid just can't wait to see a German, not realizing that a German is the last thing he'll ever see.  And just like that, another young life ends.

I expected "Mad Anthony" to be about some kind of berzerker barbarian or something--an unstoppable warrior in battle--but it wasn't even really about Mad Anthony at all.  The story focused instead on a soldier who had served under Mad Anthony before, and this time, it's HIS tale of "an eye for an eye" that is front and center.

And finally, "Enemy" was the perfect story to end the book.  First of all, it was a neat little surprise for me, upon first finding the artwork familiar, to see that it was drawn by John Severin, who, if I'm not mistaken, also did a lot of art for the old CRACKED magazines--which I also used to read in high school (I actually preferred them to MAD).  So seeing this art style which I had always associated with a wacky humor mag being used to convey one of the more solemn punch lines of the whole book was really a treat for me.  I don't think the book could have ended on a better closing line:

Enemy.thumb.JPG.06567b43d2a4cc32e025fae13946cbdc.JPG

That pretty much sums it up.  Nobody cares about the enemy in war (except those for whom the "enemy" is family).

On the lighter side, MAN but this book was an onomatopoeia fan's paradise!  Like little kids playing war, almost every page was filled with...

1313861761_Ono8.thumb.JPG.2394d8b5516b1f6676e43b6c01a54bca.JPG1303942493_Ono2.thumb.JPG.7872e7e04ae7949140e604249e7d7b87.JPG1940326370_Ono3.JPG.1c55647f8358bde77bbd836d677ccfd7.JPG1489776385_Ono9.thumb.JPG.e30ca1be9412eedf35894f1a1a21fbd4.JPG1439438622_Ono6.JPG.296e22b7834ff8fb34f7b1bc538965f5.JPG545805773_Ono4.thumb.JPG.765b09e71407060e445e62f0cf0af3ee.JPG

2060709391_Ono7.JPG.21a3458db48eedefc8b5d4da3d2099fb.JPG277836379_Ono1.JPG.ce99d93b2fd2248909d73f3b92166c26.JPG542832990_Ono5.JPG.61bcdaa0aa1cd044e20d6c288cb6962c.JPG

And of course we had a few obligatory appearances of the comic book version of the Wilhelm Scream:

2060575349_WilhelmScream.JPG.5c3f2a54465ecc97dec36eb21a4acd76.JPG

I scored a 60 on the "Combat Quiz"; I knew the Green Berets, the Eagle, and the tank, and I feel like I should have known the Kennedy question.  I didn't know the Saber Jet at all, but I grew up on a farm, and I've never seen a "grease gun" that looks like THAT!  (I said "Tommy Gun.")

2081498153_GreaseGun.JPG.bb5711d34eff02c8d4f07f551c91ed29.JPG

This issue may contain the first appearance of the "Live Squirrel Monkey" ad, but another ad that caught my attention was for this rubber "Shock Monster" mask--it's the same illustration that was used for Cousin EERIE in his first appearance for "EERIE's Loathsome Lore" in EERIE #1!  I wonder what the actual mask looked like...

1404434358_CousinEerie.JPG.675806cceff63fc0c90e8fc41a88bbc7.JPG

202832210_CousinEERIE.JPG.f629a95a4dd3ff46790f7919f6859ec8.JPG

It was also kind of cool seeing ads for back issues of other early Warren titles, like Famous Films, Wildest Westerns, and Monster World, especially since I have recently added most of them to my collection!

So yeah, an overall GREAT magazine!

CREEPY #6 - December 1965

1869973665_CREEPY6F.thumb.jpg.352eba05174230cd44f8704bbc9399a0.jpg

According to the Warren Magazine Index...

6. cover: Frank Frazetta (Dec. 1965)

1) Creepy’s Loathsome Lore: Mummy’s Curse! [Archie Goodwin/Roy G. Krenkel] 1p   [frontis]

2) The Thing In The Pit! [Larry Ivie/Gray Morrow] 8p

3) Thumbs Down! [Anne T. Murphy/Al Williamson] 6p

4) Adam Link In Business! [Otto Binder/Joe Orlando] 7p   from the story by Binder

5) The Cask Of Amontillado! [Archie Goodwin/Reed Crandall] 8p   from the story by Edgar Allan Poe

6) Eerie Ad [Angleo Torres]  1p   [Uncle Creepy is featured.]

7) The Stalkers [Archie Goodwin/Alex Toth] 6p

8) Abominable Snowman! [Bill Pearson/John Severin] 6p

9) Gargoyle [Archie Goodwin & Roy G. Krenkel/Angelo Torres] 8p

Notes: Size increase to 64 pages.  Frazetta’s gargoyle cover was laid out by Roy G. Krenkel.  Krenkel did this for several other Frazetta covers.  In fact, he did quite a lot of work in the background for Warren but rarely appeared front & center for a solo art job.  Much of his cover layouts were printed for the first time in the EC fanzine Squa Tront #7 in 1974.  It’s a shame that many of them never progressed to full painting as they’re all very striking.  Anne T. Murphy contributed her only story for Warren and it was quite good, with snazzy Williamson art.  The Poe adaptation is the high point for this issue, both storywise & artwise.  Future comic pro Frank Brunner had a letter published.  A rubber Uncle Creepy mask was used in an ad on the back cover.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting about the "Frazetta" cover being started by someone else.

It's kind of a guilty pleasure looking forward to what Adam Link is up to in this issue--more John Severin!--and the Poe story brought to life by Reed Crandall should be a highlight as well!

And with this issue, we've reached the end of 1965!

Edited by Axe Elf

Creepy #6 thoughts:

This was one of the first issues of Creepy I ever read, I found it at a used book store when I was driving an ice cream truck one summer in the early 90's.  So definitely a sentimental favorite, I only found- or at least only bought- a few Warrens there.  It's also where I got my Marvel Preview #7, which was a nothing book then but a major key now, so fond memories of the place for sure.

Cover:  Frazetta based this one on a Roy Krenkel layout, if I recall correctly.  It's a great cover, although arguably printed a little darker than it perhaps should have been for the best impact.  Or maybe that's just my copy.

Loathsome Lore:  Krenkel didn't do a lot of full art for Warren, or for any comic publisher really, and that's too bad... he, like all the Fleagle Gang, was an incredible artist.

The Thing in the Pit:  Not a spectacular story by Ivie on its own terms, but as a framework for some great creepy Morrow art it works very well.

Thumbs Down:  Very reminiscent of some of Williamson's work on EC's Valor.  I ran out of great things to say about Williamson a while back, he's one of the creators I'm completely in the tank for.

Adam Link in Business:  I think I'll stick with my "no comment" on the series from here on out.  It's perfectly good in terms of craft but continues to do nothing for me.

The Cask of Amontillado:  Possibly the best of the Warren Poe adaptations, and there is plenty of competition for that title!  Crandall is really starting to draw for the B&W format at this point as well.

The Stalkers:  Utterly stunning work by Toth.  This is possibly the best story in Creepy yet, and it's all down to the brilliant art and lettering.  Part of me thinks the more 'normal' lettering doesn't look like usual Toth lettering, but I'm wondering if he deliberatly went a little more conventional on some of it to make the odd lettering stand out more.

Abominable Snowman:  An average story from Pearson & Severin... but it shows just how high the average quality had already gotten on the title at this point.

Gargoyle:  And the issue goes out on a high note from Goodwin, Krenkel, and Torres.  This could have been the best story in the issue if it wasn't for "The Stalkers".

Creepy_006.jpg

On 6/19/2022 at 1:01 AM, OtherEric said:

Cover:  Frazetta based this one on a Roy Krenkel layout, if I recall correctly.  It's a great cover, although arguably printed a little darker than it perhaps should have been for the best impact.  Or maybe that's just my copy.

The reds do seem a little muted in your scan.

Is that the original copy you bought in the 90s?

On 6/19/2022 at 2:03 AM, OtherEric said:

Krenkel's original sketch for the cover, from Squa Tront #7.  The picture in the magazine was tiny, but it's miles better than nothing:

creepy 6 prelim.jpg

That's awesome!  Looks like the gargoyle was reaching out in the original, and Frazetta made it more of a face-forward posture.

Great find!

HA!

First line inside the front cover (CREEPY's Loathsome Lore):  "Mummy's Curse?  Many don't even think they can talk!"

Took me a second...

Took me another second after seeing the pic of the aliens from "The Stalkers" on the Table of Contents page...

Alien.JPG.6b8ba7a4b40057139f3fb4737de77693.JPG

...to realize where I'd seen it before...

872858667_EERIE14F.thumb.jpg.034f09fb053a058e05b4471cb5bb4001.jpg

So I guess we have that reprint to look forward to--but I kind of liked the story, despite its glaring incongruity.  I mean, the aliens had lived as humans themselves, they should know how to approach a human without freaking him out every time.  Become his good friends, invite him to a surprise party, and then break it gently--"Alex, you're not going to believe this, but we're all aliens!  Yes!  You too!"  That would have worked so much better than that spooky "WE WANT YOU ALEX COLBY!" nonsense.

But worst story?  Nah, that was probably this installment of the Adam Link saga, sadly--"Adam Link in Business."  I mean really, he can perform superhuman feats but he settles into a job as a consultant?  I was kind of attracted to the mapping of the "Frankenstein" story onto a robot in the first couple of installments, but the analogy kind of snapped in this one.  And he's so scared of loving a girl he devotes himself to nothing but a "machine mind" going forward?  He loved Terry, didn't he?  Well, didn't he???

It's hard not to vote the Poe story ("The Cask of Amontillado") as this issue's best, but I kind of wish they would stop "embellishing" what Poe wrote with an additional twist at the end.  I was probably more creeped out when the last brick went in the wall, where Poe's tale ends, then I was by Goodwin's old faithful trope of the wronged dead coming back to extract revenge tacked onto the end.  At least we got more Crandall rats--I love his rats (first seen in CREEPY #5 review above)!

Rats.JPG.a2bae411791c4db204831d1068e44e53.JPG

"Thumbs Down" probably should have been the only story in this issue to use the wronged dead coming back to extract revenge trope, and leave Poe to end his own story.  One thing about it caught my attention (natch)--was it a thing to tie young maidens to rampaging bulls, or was that just a perk of Al Williamson's "artistic license"?  I'd never heard of that practice.

I was looking forward to "Abominable Snowman" for another non-CRACKED sample of John Severin's art, but this one felt a little less recognizable to me; not sure of the difference.  The story was pretty solid, with a credible twist.

I have to admit, I was also caught by the double twist of "The Thing in the Pit."  As soon as Mama Monster was all, "Oh no!  You can't cast eyes on her!  She's far too hideous!" I was already rolling my eyes knowing she was going to be a beautiful girl.  But the tentacles, I didn't see that coming...

"Gargoyle" was a fun enough story with fun enough art to close out the issue, but I still can't decide if the reaching gargoyle from the initial sketch or the face-forward gargoyle from Frazetta's cover is more appropriate to the story.  It really could have been either!

Gargoyle.thumb.JPG.3970639952d5b82a5a9b6147ff5ed226.JPG

Nice to see the Frazetta werewolf from CREEPY #1 make another appearance in the back issues/subscription ad for CREEPY!  Seems like most of the other ads were for those 8mm monster movies this time around.

Overall a good issue, but maybe not a new high...

(Sorry it took me so long this week; had kind of a busy week to begin with, and then trying to read a couple of other things too...  but hey, nobody's probably waiting for my weekly reviews with bated breath, either...)

On 6/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, Axe Elf said:

(Sorry it took me so long this week; had kind of a busy week to begin with, and then trying to read a couple of other things too...  but hey, nobody's probably waiting for my weekly reviews with bated breath, either...)

"Bated breath" is perhaps slightly strong, but I do look forward to your weekly contributions to the discussion here!

BLAZING COMBAT #2 - January 1966

153036379_BlazingCombat2F.thumb.jpg.da602b9c4033401db443cc2d7412db2a.jpg

(Yeah, I know...  my copy has the Mother of All Spine Rolls...  :(  It almost made itself too wide for my scanner!)

2. cover: Frank Frazetta/frontis: Gray Morrow (Jan. 1966)

1) Landscape [Archie Goodwin/Joe Orlando] 7p

2) Saratoga [Archie Goodwin/Reed Crandall] 6p

3) Mig Alley [Archie Goodwin/Al McWilliams] 6p

4) Face To Face! [Archie Goodwin/Joe Orlando] 6p

5) Kasserine Pass! [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres & Al Williamson] 6p

6) Lone Hawk [Archie Goodwin/Alex Toth] 6p

7) Combat Quiz [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres] 1p

8) Holding Action [Archie Goodwin/John Severin] 7p

9) Eerie Ad [Angelo Torres] 1p   [on inside back cover]

Notes: ‘Landscape’ was easily the best story to appear in Blazing Combat.  In fact, if one were to compile a collection of the best stories that comics have ever produced, ‘Landscape’ would be in the top five.  {For the record, I’d put Al Feldstein/Bernie Krigstein’s ‘Master Race’, Alan Moore/David Lloyd’s ‘V For Vendetta’, Jim Steranko’s ‘Who Is Scorpio?’ and Will Eisner’s ‘Sand Saref’ as the other top four.  Just my opinion, mind you.}  The story concerns an old Vietnamese farmer who finally understands the true economics of war.  Goodwin’s --script, which clearly owed a debt to Kurtzman’s EC war stories, still stands on its own two feet and is devastating.  Orlando employed a very different art style from his usual approach {so different, that letter hacks questioned whether he had actually done the artwork!} and the softness of his pencil work contrasted sharply with the horror that those pencils depicted.  However, the story also killed the series.  According to Warren, the American Legion began a quiet campaign among distributors, many of whom belonged to the organization, to let the magazine set on distributor shelves rather than be sent to the buying public.  There were also problems from the armed forces (at the time a major purchaser of B&W comic magazines), who began to refuse to sell Blazing Combat on their bases or PX’s, due to its perceived ‘anti-war’ stance.  Political hawks couldn’t have too thrilled with the rest of the book either.  Frazetta’s grim cover was one of his most violent.  An American soldier bayonets a German, with the bloody bayonet bursting out the German’s back, while another American soldier lies dead in the foreground, a bullet hole smoking through his helmet, while blood covers his face and the ground beside him.  It’s possible that some of the stories within could have appeared anywhere, but ‘Kasserine Pass’ ws about an American defeat, ‘Face To Face!’ used four panels to show a US soldier beating a Spanish soldier to death with a rock, sound effects showing exactly how the head changes from solid to pulp under severe battering, while ‘Holding Action’ was about soldiers who mentally crack under the stress of combat.  Hardly the sort of thing military brass would like 18-19 year old recruits reading just before they shipped out to Vietnam.  Or the sort of thing members of the Legion might like 16-17-18 year olds reading before they considered enlisting.  Famed artist Milton Caniff sent in a complementary letter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As good as Blazing Combat #1 was...  that sounds forking AMAZING!!!

On top of all the historical and sociological perspective there... one of the top 5 stories to ever appear in comics??  And another one awaiting us in The SPIRIT #8 ("Sand Saref")?  That may just be the opinion of the author of the Warren Magazine Index--so they MAY be a little biased--but it's already got me jumping up and down and yelling "KILL!  KILL!!  KILL!!!"

Edited by Axe Elf

On 6/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, Axe Elf said:

It's hard not to vote the Poe story ("The Cask of Amontillado") as this issue's best, but I kind of wish they would stop "embellishing" what Poe wrote with an additional twist at the end.

Stunning artwork by Crandall...  

On 6/26/2022 at 12:21 AM, The Lions Den said:

Stunning artwork by Crandall...  

Yeah... but you couldn't have posted that 30 minutes ago when it was still CREEPY #6's week?

lol

On 6/25/2022 at 10:06 PM, Axe Elf said:

On top of all the historical and sociological perspective there... one of the top 5 stories to ever appear in comics??  And another one awaiting us in The SPIRIT #8 ("Sand Saref")?  That may just be the opinion of the author of the Warren Magazine Index--so they MAY be a little biased--but it's already got me jumping up and down and yelling "KILL!  KILL!!  KILL!!!"

I'm going to be a day or so late with my thoughts, I had mando OT today.  I can't say I agree with the list of best stories; although they're all excellent.  "Master Race" I agree with, but for best Spirit story I'm going with "Plaster of Paris", personally.  That shows up in the Warren run as well, though.

Gonna sneak another little CREEPY #6 tidbit in a little after the deadline... because I just happened to notice that the last panel from "The Cask of Amontillado" is featured in color on the cover of CREEPY #74!

image.png.888d2c1850594d20bc2331cdb0b74eef.png

(Which makes sense, since the Poe adaptation was reprinted in that issue...)

On 6/26/2022 at 1:06 AM, Axe Elf said:

BLAZING COMBAT #2 - January 1966

153036379_BlazingCombat2F.thumb.jpg.da602b9c4033401db443cc2d7412db2a.jpg

(Yeah, I know...  my copy has the Mother of All Spine Rolls...  :(  It almost made itself too wide for my scanner!)

2. cover: Frank Frazetta/frontis: Gray Morrow (Jan. 1966)

1) Landscape [Archie Goodwin/Joe Orlando] 7p

2) Saratoga [Archie Goodwin/Reed Crandall] 6p

3) Mig Alley [Archie Goodwin/Al McWilliams] 6p

4) Face To Face! [Archie Goodwin/Joe Orlando] 6p

5) Kasserine Pass! [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres & Al Williamson] 6p

6) Lone Hawk [Archie Goodwin/Alex Toth] 6p

7) Combat Quiz [Archie Goodwin/Angelo Torres] 1p

8) Holding Action [Archie Goodwin/John Severin] 7p

9) Eerie Ad [Angelo Torres] 1p   [on inside back cover]

Notes: ‘Landscape’ was easily the best story to appear in Blazing Combat.  In fact, if one were to compile a collection of the best stories that comics have ever produced, ‘Landscape’ would be in the top five.  {For the record, I’d put Al Feldstein/Bernie Krigstein’s ‘Master Race’, Alan Moore/David Lloyd’s ‘V For Vendetta’, Jim Steranko’s ‘Who Is Scorpio?’ and Will Eisner’s ‘Sand Saref’ as the other top four.  Just my opinion, mind you.}  The story concerns an old Vietnamese farmer who finally understands the true economics of war.  Goodwin’s ---script, which clearly owed a debt to Kurtzman’s EC war stories, still stands on its own two feet and is devastating.  Orlando employed a very different art style from his usual approach {so different, that letter hacks questioned whether he had actually done the artwork!} and the softness of his pencil work contrasted sharply with the horror that those pencils depicted.  However, the story also killed the series.  According to Warren, the American Legion began a quiet campaign among distributors, many of whom belonged to the organization, to let the magazine set on distributor shelves rather than be sent to the buying public.  There were also problems from the armed forces (at the time a major purchaser of B&W comic magazines), who began to refuse to sell Blazing Combat on their bases or PX’s, due to its perceived ‘anti-war’ stance.  Political hawks couldn’t have too thrilled with the rest of the book either.  Frazetta’s grim cover was one of his most violent.  An American soldier bayonets a German, with the bloody bayonet bursting out the German’s back, while another American soldier lies dead in the foreground, a bullet hole smoking through his helmet, while blood covers his face and the ground beside him.  It’s possible that some of the stories within could have appeared anywhere, but ‘Kasserine Pass’ ws about an American defeat, ‘Face To Face!’ used four panels to show a US soldier beating a Spanish soldier to death with a rock, sound effects showing exactly how the head changes from solid to pulp under severe battering, while ‘Holding Action’ was about soldiers who mentally crack under the stress of combat.  Hardly the sort of thing military brass would like 18-19 year old recruits reading just before they shipped out to Vietnam.  Or the sort of thing members of the Legion might like 16-17-18 year olds reading before they considered enlisting.  Famed artist Milton Caniff sent in a complementary letter.

As good as Blazing Combat #1 was...  that sounds forking AMAZING!!!

By all accounts, this issue marked the beginning of the end for Blazing Combat. Allegedly the loss Warren sustained by the demise of the title nearly led to the company going under, and it took him years to completely recover...  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:47 AM, Axe Elf said:

Gonna sneak another little CREEPY #6 tidbit in a little after the deadline... because I just happened to notice that the last panel from "The Cask of Amontillado" is featured in color on the cover of CREEPY #74!

Since you sneaked this in, I’ll sneak in with my dislike of the embellished ending to that story too. I get why they did it (after all it is a horror mag and they had to throw in some ghoulies), but "The Cask of Amontillado" is one of, if not my favorite Poe tale. The interaction between Montresor and Fortunato is classic storytelling! Fortunato gets what’s coming to him (albeit a tad extreme) with no need of a revenging ghost at the end. Revenge for what? “I take my revenge on you for treating you like a d*ck!” ?? Just my 2c

On 6/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, Jayman said:

Revenge for what? “I take my revenge on you for treating you like a d*ck!” ??

lol That's a really good point!

And that's twice that Poe got Warrened; the first being with the embellished ending to "The Tell-Tale Heart" back in CREEPY #3.  I'm not as familiar with the original Bram Stoker and Ambrose Bierce stories that CREEPY also assimilated ("The Judge's House" in CREEPY #5 and "The Damned Thing!" in CREEPY #4), so I don't know if they were also embellished, but maybe they thought the Poe stories were so well- and widely-known that they needed to give them a little extra twist.  I don't know, but it does seem kind of like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

Blazing Combat #2 thoughts:

Cover:  Not quite as good as the #1 cover, but arguably even more brutal.  Continuing the trend of the title being extremely good... but not nice or fun.

Frontispiece:  I'm not sure what Morrow is trying to convey with this piece, it seems to be mixing the heroic and the exciting with the horrible in a way that muddles any message. 

Landscape:  I don't rank this story as highly as some others, but there's no denying its power.

Saratoga:  A bit of a change from all the stories so far, relying on people not necessarily remembering their history for the twist.  It's arguable that, ironically, the single person most responsible for the US winning its independence is its most legendary traitor.

MIG Alley:  A fairly conventional war comic, nicely drawn by Al McWilliams.

Face to Face:  Another story showing the brutality of war and the cost to those who fight them.

Kasserine Pass: Great Torres/ Williamson art, a bit less dark in overall tone while still showing the cost of war.

Lone Hawk:  Stunning Toth artwork, and the twist at this point is the main character actually surviving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bishop

Combat quiz:  I got 5 of 6, nice Torres art.

Holding Action:  War takes many different tolls of people.  Stunning Severin art.

I think this was, overall, a much stronger issue than #1.  The first issue, while brilliant, was a bit too oppressing as a whole.  This one has a far better balance, and is more effective as a whole book... the first issue was just too relentlessly grim to continue for more than a single issue or two.  This one has its share of darkness but isn't worst-case scenario every single story.

Blazing Combat 2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
Forgot to share my copy.