• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on these comics?
3 3

53 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 9:59 PM, kav said:

wait you posted pics-

It was a different thread, where the pics weren't posted that I was speaking of, he understood what I meant.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

You were casual in posting, but to most not in those shoes, these books are a big deal.

Try not to take it the wrong way lol

I think this is the key to some of the skepticism you may feel. 

We are at a cross roads in the hobby. The days when "normal people" could afford some of the books you've been talking about are long gone. The new generations never caught a whiff of some these books... Even the ones that aren't that big of a deal to you.  

I don't doubt you, because I can't imagine you would have anything to gain from lying.  I also think everything you've said is perfectly reasonable given how the hobby has evolved. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, KCOComics said:

I think this

I don't doubt you, because I can't imagine you would have anything to gain from lying.  

And this is the Crux I wanted to illustrate, you're asking the value?

Those of us here around this market look at those books value now and would struggle to even contemplate a years extra "mad funds" to afford.

Original poster, I know no one's given you values too much yet, but you're seriously in the red to be so nonchalant lol

It's like asking what a barrel full of c notes would be considered desirable ha!

On 4/20/2022 at 10:15 PM, intlnews said:

Not sure what you mean. I understand they are worth some coin. But when we're talking about SM1, TEC 1 & 27, etc., two completely different ballgames. I worked hard in my life to get where I am now in my later years. Was near homeless more than once. I know I am fortune that I was able to get back on my feet and obtain some nice comics for the hobby. Never really thought there would be a chance for comics to be worth more than cars and homes.

Yes hardworking kudos!

But that sets up unique circumstances that are traceable, to those inclined.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think this

I don't doubt you, because I can't imagine you would have anything to gain from lying.  

This is what I was replying to, I'm not insinuating anything else, I'm giving you reasons why crossing a t might be important on the comics general forum. I'm trying to avoid you feeling defenseless defensive or attacked lol

It is what it is, just sometimes people can be skeptical.

That can be good or bad. You joined around when I did, you should know is what I've tried to point out.

No Worries 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:46 PM, intlnews said:

Not threatened, but I post a few pics of some not so special comics in the community, and people look up dates on when they were last sold? Crazy. Why would anyone make up something that they had these books?  There's really nothing special about them. Though, it kinda sucks I no longer have the highest graded AC 100. I have the appraisals on file for each of the books from Value My Stuff, but I do not keep pics of the comics. 

You asked for thoughts.  I was impressed by the 9.6 100 & was surprised at it’s low budget status. So I looked it up.  You said you had no idea of current value, so I gave you what was available. You’re welcome I guess.(shrug)

Jeez, I step away for a couple of hours and all this?

I wasn't trying to "allege" anything other than that the OP obviously didn't remember exactly when he had acquired something.  It's not that big of a deal.  I didn't mean to accuse him of LYING, per se... lying implies an intent to deceive.  He just made a casual comment that didn't turn out to be factually correct--but I don't think he was trying to maliciously misrepresent himself or the book or anything like that.  He was just saying he'd had them a while.

Nobody should be feeling attacked or threatened or defensive, and in any case, I don't see what taking pictures of the books with TODAY'S newspaper would do--I don't doubt that you have them TODAY.  The evidence just shows that you acquired at least one of them no more than nine years ago, that's all.

So everybody just chill; I'm sorry if I stressed anyone.

The World’s Fair comics are actually really nice books. The one posted looks superb.  I have the Archive reprint, which is essential Golden Age. Nice art, and perhaps they put a lot of effort into that as the comics were intended to be a promotional tool.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/21/2022 at 8:03 PM, intlnews said:

Anyone think it is worth considering sending in to CGC and pressing the NYWF 1940 and/or Action Comics 100?  No way the 9.8 got there raw after 82 years in storage.

Why? If you're looking to sell, then sure. If not, then why take the risk? There's so many horror stories from CGC lately (I know it's a small percentage of their transactions, but still) I wouldn't take that risk unless absolutely necessary. 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:51 AM, Cat said:

Why? If you're looking to sell, then sure. If not, then why take the risk? There's so many horror stories from CGC lately (I know it's a small percentage of their transactions, but still) I wouldn't take that risk unless absolutely necessary. 

Miss the fact I had the highest grade. It was one of the main reasons why I purchased AC 100 at a premium back then.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, Point Five said:

Yeah, that "#" is a typo. But there were indeed 1939 and 1940 issues of New York World's Fair. They are both cool 100-page issues, with early appearances of a number of DC heroes.

Way off topic, but one of my fave bits of early DC trivia relates to the 1939 NYWF issue. It was originally priced at 25 cents, but since all other comics to date were 10 cents, it apparently kind of bombed. (In today's dollars I guess it would be like pricing a new comic at $10 or $15, *and* advance printing a gazillion of them without really knowing the level of demand.)

DC then belatedly reduced the book's price from 25 cents to 15 cents to squeeze out more sales... but a number of kids/parents had already sent in 25 cents for the book via mail order... so when the 1939 NYWF was mailed out, a copy of either **Superman #1 or Superman #2** was 'thrown in' to make up for the 10-cent difference. :) 

Too bad those guys who received the SM1 and SM2 didn't keep them around..  They'd be worth tens of thousands; if not more.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, Point Five said:

Yeah, that "#" is a typo. But there were indeed 1939 and 1940 issues of New York World's Fair. They are both cool 100-page issues, with early appearances of a number of DC heroes.

Way off topic, but one of my fave bits of early DC trivia relates to the 1939 NYWF issue. It was originally priced at 25 cents, but since all other comics to date were 10 cents, it apparently kind of bombed. (In today's dollars I guess it would be like pricing a new comic at $10 or $15, *and* advance printing a gazillion of them without really knowing the level of demand.)

DC then belatedly reduced the book's price from 25 cents to 15 cents to squeeze out more sales... but a number of kids/parents had already sent in 25 cents for the book via mail order... so when the 1939 NYWF was mailed out, a copy of either **Superman #1 or Superman #2** was 'thrown in' to make up for the 10-cent difference. :) 

Was it the 1939 issue that had the blonde superman on the cover? 

First Sandman in print! 

On 4/21/2022 at 7:49 AM, intlnews said:

Miss the fact I had the highest grade. It was one of the main reasons why I purchased AC 100 at a premium back then.

Not worth it.  Promise Copy has perfect centering, better registration, and white pages, albeit with a slight dust shadow (probably should not be a 9.8). Your copy has a miscut and worse registration that does not look like a press would improve.  Since it is already a 9.6, I'd not mess with it.  Grade might go down:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F5%2F0%2F2%2F25502774%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

lf?set=path%5B9%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F9432810%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 4/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, intlnews said:

Not sure what you mean. I understand they are worth some coin. But when we're talking about SM1, TEC 1 & 27, etc., two completely different ballgames. I worked hard in my life to get where I am now in my later years. Was near homeless more than once. I know I am fortune that I was able to get back on my feet and obtain some nice comics for the hobby. Never really thought there would be a chance for comics to be worth more than cars and homes.

Frankly, neither did any of us. Glad I kept my books out of love of the medium.