• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on these comics?
3 3

53 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 3:03 AM, intlnews said:

Anyone think it is worth considering sending in to CGC and pressing the NYWF 1940 and/or Action Comics 100?  No way the 9.8 got there raw after 82 years in storage.

No. They are beautiful the way they are. If you decided to sell, you would be making a bundle on your investment anyway.

Having the highest graded copy of a book is mostly an ego thing. And, there is probably an ungraded copy just waiting to dethrone yours.

There is always some out there with a bigger p p than you. Live with it.

That being said, cool books and thanks for posting them. 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, Robot Man said:

No. They are beautiful the way they are. If you decided to sell, you would be making a bundle on your investment anyway.

Having the highest graded copy of a book is mostly an ego thing. And, there is probably an ungraded copy just waiting to dethrone yours.

There is always some out there with a bigger p p than you. Live with it.

That being said, cool books and thanks for posting them. 

Thank you for the kind words.  No ego, just thought it was a bit unique to have the then highest graded AC 100.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, sfcityduck said:

Not worth it.  Promise Copy has perfect centering, better registration, and white pages, albeit with a slight dust shadow (probably should not be a 9.8). Your copy has a miscut and worse registration that does not look like a press would improve.  Since it is already a 9.6, I'd not mess with it.  Grade might go down:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F5%2F0%2F2%2F25502774%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

lf?set=path%5B9%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F9432810%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I would not try to press that 9.6 into a 9.8, because I think it won't go up, and might go down. The problem isn't the color registration nor the miscut, neither of which are defects in CGC's parlance. The problem is along the spine, especially at a point around the level of Superman's knees. Something something lighting and all, but that looks in this picture like a little bit of color loss. In any case, it's not a pressable issue.

And lest I come off the wrong way, that's a fantastic book, as is the NYWF. All of them, really.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, sfcityduck said:

Not worth it.  Promise Copy has perfect centering, better registration, and white pages, albeit with a slight dust shadow (probably should not be a 9.8). Your copy has a miscut and worse registration that does not look like a press would improve.  Since it is already a 9.6, I'd not mess with it.  Grade might go down:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F5%2F0%2F2%2F25502774%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

lf?set=path%5B9%2F4%2F3%2F2%2F9432810%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I completely agree.  With that miscut, he's lucky he got a 9.6 in the first place.  There's about a quarter inch of cover missing at the bottom.  A press isn't going to get him a higher grade and after they press it, they might grade it lower this time.  

On 4/22/2022 at 6:15 PM, intlnews said:

Thank you for the kind words.  No ego, just thought it was a bit unique to have the then highest graded AC 100.

you had it for all that time, nothing changes that. Great books.

On 4/22/2022 at 5:15 PM, intlnews said:

Having any highest grade book is kewl and unique, but that’s only one factor in evaluating market desirability. In fact, it isn’t worth stressing over any incremental grade difference in the current volatile investment climate as most GA books sell at a premium price. Your 9.6 may or may not get a bump, but the benefit of having an older grade label is that it won’t likely be on the receiving end of “loose grade“ criticism as some recent Promise Collection books have been. Just my 2 cents (inflation adjusted).

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 4/21/2022 at 8:57 AM, Point Five said:

Yeah, that "#" is a typo. But there were indeed 1939 and 1940 issues of New York World's Fair. They are both cool 100-page issues, with early appearances of a number of DC heroes.

Way off topic, but one of my fave bits of early DC trivia relates to the 1939 NYWF issue. It was originally priced at 25 cents, but since all other comics to date were 10 cents, it apparently kind of bombed. (In today's dollars I guess it would be like pricing a new comic at $10 or $15, *and* advance printing a gazillion of them without really knowing the level of demand.)

DC then belatedly reduced the book's price from 25 cents to 15 cents to squeeze out more sales... but a number of kids/parents had already sent in 25 cents for the book via mail order... so when the 1939 NYWF was mailed out, a copy of either **Superman #1 or Superman #2** was 'thrown in' to make up for the 10-cent difference. :) 

No kidding, that is an interesting bit of trivia.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:53 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I have this highest non-graded copy.  I graded it myself, and so did Rozansky...it's the Mile High copy.  I'm still waiting to see a nicer one surface.  lol

24619952647_4e56c8c6a3_c.jpg

I’ve got a 7.5.  Maybe I can press it up to look like that.  Haha.  Seriously, beautiful book!