• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oops...
5 5

274 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, Stefan_W said:

In order for this mistake to happen the person submitting it must have put in incorrect info in the submission form.

100% incorrect.  There a many, many documented instances where people have submitted books under the right title/issue/print/variant and CGC has just screwed it up.  Heck, I've had to send the same book back multiple times to get them to get it right.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:02 AM, Stefan_W said:

I am sure CGC is taking a lot of heat for missing this one

And they should.  It has been a problem for DECADES (ref. the 3rd print TMNT 1 9.8 that was labeled and sold as a 9.8 1st print.)

On 4/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, gregwynn said:

Marvel needs to make these facsimile editions easier to tell apart as well.....especially the newer one like UF4 and EOSV2

They really just need to have a box near the bar code that indicates "Variant Edition", "Second Print", "Facsimile Edition", etc.

I can't find a hi-res copy, but you can see the bottom right says "Second Printing".

clean.jpg

And of course, the current variants all say "Variant Edition" in the box.

VENOM200-HERO-1.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, ExNihilo said:

They really just need to have a box near the bar code that indicates "Variant Edition", "Second Print", "Facsimile Edition", etc.

I can't find a hi-res copy, but you can see the bottom right says "Second Printing".

clean.jpg

And of course, the current variants all say "Variant Edition" in the box.

VENOM200-HERO-1.jpg

That's why I think the submitter should be in the conversation.  There are those that will try and take advantage of CGCs buffonery and pass this off as the real deal.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Or might be the truth. lol

Unfortunately, we can't expect consumers to be honest when sending their books in. At times they might not even know themselves. They're trusting the experts, or testing the experts. Either way it's CGC's job to deftly identify which is which and label it as such. Anything else is negligence, and a black eye on their credibility. 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, Galen130 said:

That's why I think the submitter should be in the conversation.  There are those that will try and take advantage of CGCs buffonery and pass this off as the real deal.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Or might be the truth. lol

Sherlock holmes used to hone skills with the drugs, I'm sure our Cool Ranch Dorritos are doing the trick! :headbang: 

On 4/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, Cat said:

Unfortunately, we can't expect consumers to be honest when sending their books in. At times they might not even know themselves. They're trusting the experts, or testing the experts. Either way it's CGC's job to deftly identify which is which and label it as such. Anything else is negligence, and a black eye on their credibility. 

TBH I just filled out forms today, and struggled. Yes they have a "search function" but my issue with a "mark jewelers" wasn't an "option" and after selecting the comic there was no where to write it.

Anyhoo, I refilled it out, and clicked the "can't find my comic" link on the form to add: the issue with the Mark Jeweler note in the "variant slot"....

UF4 shouldn't be "that complicated" but given the issue, the hired authority to slab books should gain knowledge enough when receiving books, that it shouldn't get so far in the process, sometimes, for it to be a Grader issue idk food for thought

On 4/21/2022 at 12:22 PM, ExNihilo said:
On 4/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure our Cool Ranch Dorritos are doing the trick!

Explains the fingerprints appearing on books.  :shy:

There are a lot of books named Sherlock Holmes, none named "grader Steve" :roflmao: 

Bring on the the Dorrito's! 

Is that a grader issue or a labeling issue? It's a Superman Masterpiece Edition #1 copy I think... but Sig Series projects especially with non-comic signers may be its own special queue.

EDIT:
Clearly a labeling issue:
image.png

Edited by sckao

On 4/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, Domo Arigato said:

As always, a buyer should be careful......but it makes you wonder how many raw copies of these poorly marked UF #4 reprint books have been passed off to buyers as the original.

Marvel itself is the first line of defense to prevent this kind of thing from happening......and they're doing a s**t job as well.

When they first came out they were selling for $400-500 on eBay.  Me, and others I know, reported to ebay and they eventually got pulled.  Not sure how many buyers are even aware of what they bought to this day though.

one of many...

Screenshot_20220421-135921_Instagram.jpg

Can't wait to see what 9.8 AF15s sell for when that one comes out...

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 4/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, Galen130 said:

What insufficiently_thoughtful_person said that?

That would mean that everything possible is true, which is obvious nonsense.

On 4/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

WTF How the hell did this pass?  At least 3 graders would have to seen this book.  And it's not everyday you get a Superman #1 come thru (71 Universal grades on the census and 0 Signature) , surely they would have said "hey boss come take a look at this".  

I don't think that's how it works anymore.  :gossip:

Edited by Randall Dowling
LOL!