• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oops...
5 5

274 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If it weren't, I wonder how big of a hit it would have taken from the Henry Cavill signature. lol

Would be incredibly dense to get a signature on a real Superman 1.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, Qalyar said:

If nothing else, this sort of :censored:-up by the grading floor is just another example of why CGC needs to set a policy of revoking certification numbers for books they can clearly establish as being invalidly labeled. That doesn't stop someone from getting taken advantage of looking at the slab in isolation, but it would at least mean anyone using the certification lookup feature on the website would know what's going on. If they're feeling particularly generous (which they should), then any slab whose certification shows as REVOKED should be eligible for free regrading and re-encapsulation (as, you know, whatever the book should be).

Then we just try to establish "check the cert lookup" as best practices for buyers in the community and, presto, the problem (sort of) resolves itself. I mean, aside from the people already badly done by.

And when mistakes are made by an overworked, under-trained CGC employee accidentally revoking the wrong (authentic) cert #'s, thus will be born another thread topic! 

On 4/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I realize it's a "first appearance" of a new Spider-Man (and no offense to those who collect this sort of thing....I'm sure it's a lovely book).

But people are paying $3,000+ for this book in CGC 9.8 grade? 

I wonder what's going to happen when the first 9.9 or 10.0 shows up. :ohnoez:

UF4census.jpg.dc806931aac9383f305f58f0f92da65a.jpg

Well, 3000 of those 9.8s are reprints. :kidaround:

But yes, it is completely insane.

On 4/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, Domo Arigato said:

According to this image that Gaard posted above......it now looks like each book is inspected by "at least two professionals".

Yep. One when the package is opened to see if there is bad enough damage to contact customers (especially if the defects are pressable and they have not selected CCS) the other to assign grade. 

On 4/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I realize it's a "first appearance" of a new Spider-Man (and no offense to those who collect this sort of thing....I'm sure it's a lovely book).

But people are paying $3,000+ for this book in CGC 9.8 grade? 

I wonder what's going to happen when the first 9.9 or 10.0 shows up. :ohnoez:

UF4census.jpg.dc806931aac9383f305f58f0f92da65a.jpg

And will that 9.9 or 10 be a facsimile incorrectly labeled.  

On 4/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, oakman29 said:

Wow! If that weren't the Masterpiece edition would go for a pretty penny.

Even if it were original and had the Signature I do not think you could view it for just a pretty penny. :roflmao:

On 4/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If it wasn't, I wonder how big of a hit it would have taken from the Henry Cavill signature. lol

I still would like to get a TMNT #1 first print signed by Vanilla Ice.. :roflmao:

On 4/21/2022 at 6:34 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I think the odds are pretty good that the submitter knew what he was submitting........and then realized what happened when he got them back......which is why one of them was listed for $2,900 on MySlabs.com.  But again, there's no way to prove it.  

I agree with this 100%. It's been said before in this thread, but this specific facsimile was the perfect target for scammers because of just how close it was to the real deal. Yes, it's unfortunate that CGC mislabeled it, and that's on them, but there's no doubt in my mind that the person submitting it got these back and saw an opportunity for a scam - they're the ones who should bear the responsibility on this.

If my bank deposits a wrong amount in my checking account, it's not my money. It's their mistake, true, but if I try to capitalize on it even though I know it's wrong and it was a mix up, then I become the one responsible.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:39 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I agree with this 100%. It's been said before in this thread, but this specific facsimile was the perfect target for scammers because of just how close it was to the real deal. Yes, it's unfortunate that CGC mislabeled it, and that's on them, but there's no doubt in my mind that the person submitting it got these back and saw an opportunity for a scam - they're the ones who should bear the responsibility on this.

If my bank deposits a wrong amount in my checking account, it's not my money. It's their mistake, true, but if I try to capitalize on it even though I know it's wrong and it was a mix up, then I become the one responsible.

Until we find out the seller knew it was the reprint, this remains 100% on CGC.

People need to remember everyone involved is human and rightly or wrongly mistakes happen.

CGC is aware and is MySlabs.  Making assumptions is just silly at this point. 🤷‍♂️

I have experienced label mishaps, it was easily corrected. I just hope the submitter was genuine in his/his intent.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:22 PM, kav said:

um whats the point of slabbing then if you have to do the actual checkin?

In the end we are tough on CGC because they are the gold standard.  But mistakes happen.  They probably make what 10 mistakes per 5,000 books?  That would be 0.2%.  

I'm sure plenty of us have bosses who could only dream that our mistake rate is 0.2%.  

Heck, I do chart reviews at work and we average about 92% correct, 8% incorrect each month.  

On 4/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Until we find out the seller knew it was the reprint, this remains 100% on CGC.

I respectfully disagree, especially if they came from the same submission. Because to exonerate the submitter/seller, that would mean either someone bought 8 copies of this book for around $3-5 each, submitted them, got them back and thought, wow! I hit the lottery! Or they paid somewhere between $4,000-8,000 (or more) for 8 copies of a facsimile without realizing what they were spending that money on and submitted them as real. Either scenario seems unlikely.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 4/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

In the end we are tough on CGC because they are the gold standard.  But mistakes happen.  They probably make what 10 mistakes per 5,000 books?  That would be 0.2%.  

I'm sure plenty of us have bosses who could only dream that our mistake rate is 0.2%.  

Heck, I do chart reviews at work and we average about 92% correct, 8% incorrect each month.  

no one but CGC knows what the error rate is.  but things like this seem to get stumbled on pretty frequently.

I've heard several stories from board members and some were posted here of like submitting 5 books and 3 come back damaged.  that argues against rare flukes.  Also the recent nature of these reports.  5 years ago it was nothing like this.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:51 PM, kav said:

no one but CGC knows what the error rate is.  but things like this seem to get stumbled on pretty frequently.

That indeed is true.  But two things to blame. 

1.  Submission rate has multiplied exponentially.  I wouldn't be surprised compared to 5 years ago that they are doing 5x the amount of books. 

2. They hired a bunch on new green graders to keep up with the demand.  

On 4/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, kav said:

I've heard several stories from board members and some were posted here of like submitting 5 books and 3 come back damaged.  that argues against rare flukes.  Also the recent nature of these reports.  5 years ago it was nothing like this.

Damage and wrong labels are a very different scenario