• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

back issue manga market?

14 posts in this topic

every time i look on ebay, i see very little interest, but then again, i don't know what to look for. a number of my local shops seems to toss most of their manga from the last 2-6 years into the bargain bins eventually. Is there anything to look for in there that is collected, or is the "manga revolution" mainly about reading, not so much collecting?

every time i look on ebay, i see very little interest, but then again, i don't know what to look for. a number of my local shops seems to toss most of their manga from the last 2-6 years into the bargain bins eventually. Is there anything to look for in there that is collected, or is the "manga revolution" mainly about reading, not so much collecting?

Thankfully, it's about reading...

To expand, I'm happy because there's actually some growth in the medium in the US (amongst new readers even ) and it doesn't include those new readers being fed variant covers and the rest of the things we waded through in the early 90s (which we're seeing more and more of these days.)

To expand, I'm happy because there's actually some growth in the medium in the US (amongst new readers even ) and it doesn't include those new readers being fed variant covers and the rest of the things we waded through in the early 90s (which we're seeing more and more of these days.)

I agree. Any new comic reader, regardless of the genre, is always a welcomed sign...

Jim

ok, fine. people like to read newspapers and general interest magazines, but there really isn't much of a back issue market for most of them. i was just trying to figure out whether and how my 50 cents purchases could be converted ito $3-5 (and occasionally more) sales. i figure a lot of those sales, if anyone out there makes them, are most likely to buy some back issue they want to read.

really, i guess my question about much of this manga, which is often reprints of japanese stuff, but in english, is whether anyone is out there buying past stuff on ebay or is the interest in manga mainly new stuff that comes out and people don't care about the older issues, kindah like comics in 1949. is all this stuff re-reprinted over and over in ever cheaper volumes? i guess i'll check some completed auctions, but all this stuff is pretty dizzying and all looks the same.

with that said, that shonen jump thing is massive and at 50 cents, would be a pretty good entertainment/reading value if i had bought one. i just have a tough time envisioning myself having interest. plus, i have about 5,000 comics in my collection I've never gotten around to reading, so maybe i shouldn't be jumping on any new bandwagons.

is all this stuff re-reprinted over and over in ever cheaper volumes?

Basically, yes. There is some sort of back issue market in Japan , but for the majority of people the endless reprints are just fine. And here, because of the makeup of the audience and the fact that it's ALL reprints (ignoring the OEL line out of Tokyopop,) there's not much of any that I've seen. If you read a SJ, you'll see that they push the Trades pretty heavily. that might have something to do with it.

Ranma 1/2 (whatever that is, heh) seems to have some decent back issue values. Blade of the Immortal sells well when it comes up too. I grabbed the first 40 issues of that over time to give it a read...haven't got to it yet. =)

Ranma 1/2 (whatever that is, heh)

from http://pixelz.amhosting.com/ranma/#intro

"Ranma ½ (as if you didn't know already) is about a boy named "Saotome Ranma" who fell into a cursed spring in China and, consequently changes into a girl every time he touches cold water (hot water reverses the effect). Ranma is engaged to a girl named "Tendo Akane", the engagement is arrange by Ranma's father (Genma) and Akane's father (Soun).

Frequent involuntary sex changes is the least of Ranma's problems! Unfortunately Genma has a nasty habit of engaging Ranma to other people's daughters to get out of a tight spot (usually a debt), and Ranma, handsome lad and highly skilled martial artist that he is, attracts many girls who want to marry him, and they often have violent suitors! his life is hilariously complicated.

"

I don't collect manga myself, though I do pick up an occassional book here or there. However, I do sell it on my site. Unfortunately, I haven't seen alot of movement on the back issue market. I've had manga on Ebay with very little interest. It may have been those particular books or characters not sure. However, I've seen my local bookstore that has a whole wall full of manga books and anthologies. My guess is that back issues are going to be tough to move unless you have a really specific character that is hot at the moment. At least in the US manga is still just for a fun read, not really much collectible value. Again, I could be wrong since I'm not in to collecting it myself, but I have yet to receive anything from Diamond Comics that shows any big numbers for a manga book. If you were going to get into it I would go for things like Akira, Cowboy Bebop, or Ghost in the Shell. they are still as popular as they were when they came out and I know the original printing of Akira were going for some bigger $$$.

Again, I could be wrong since I'm not in to collecting it myself, but I have yet to receive anything from Diamond Comics that shows any big numbers for a manga book.

You'd be better served looking at bookscan numbers for the manga story.