• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiderman 3 or Spiderman 50 ?
6 6

71 posts in this topic

Because of the grade options I completely agree. It’s the 3.

If your budget was larger and you were choosing between a 9.4 copy of 50 and whatever grade of 3 matches up to that price? I’d say the 50.

And if your budget was much lower and it was a 1.0 copy of 3 versus a mid grade 50? I’d again say the 50.

But 8.5 isn’t a premium enough grade to chase a 50. And 5.5 is a pretty sweet spot grade for the 3 because it’s such a light colored book, there are flaws that bring it down to 5.5 that don’t minimize the arms length eye appeal. So the choice here is easily the 3. 

On 4/21/2022 at 10:11 PM, lighthouse said:

Because of the grade options I completely agree. It’s the 3.

If your budget was larger and you were choosing between a 9.4 copy of 50 and whatever grade of 3 matches up to that price? I’d say the 50.

And if your budget was much lower and it was a 1.0 copy of 3 versus a mid grade 50? I’d again say the 50.

But 8.5 isn’t a premium enough grade to chase a 50. And 5.5 is a pretty sweet spot grade for the 3 because it’s such a light colored book, there are flaws that bring it down to 5.5 that don’t minimize the arms length eye appeal. So the choice here is easily the 3. 

Agree with everything here.  You nailed it.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, goldust40 said:

50 all the way! :fear:

See, I've been paying attention in the Hulk 181 thread.... why 50? ...  it's just an extended cameo.... the REAL 1st Kingpin is in the issue with his cover appearance, on 51. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, jimjum12 said:

See, I've been paying attention in the Hulk 181 thread.... why 50? ...  it's just an extended cameo.... the REAL 1st Kingpin is in the issue with his cover appearance, on 51. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just making fun. It's the iconic cover that makes ASM 50 what it is as much as the cameo. I'd opt for #3 like everyone here, but then Spidey is the blue chip title, so either book is always a good choice.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:13 AM, mikej61 said:

The Number 3 is the best choice, by far,  How about a ASM 14

ASM14.jpg.6d03123f6724bcd642096e364bdeb49d.jpg

Very good choice Mike. I was lucky enough to win a #14 in a 2019 auction. An awesome comic with a truly iconic villain. It was first on my list.

Get as high grade as you can budget for a #3. Here's my copy and a close as I'll ever come to owning a copy. :wink:

Oddly, I can't remember how I got this other than it was a promotional item included in something. Not only that, but you also get these two cool Spidey pinups in issue #3. (on a side note, does anyone use the word "pal" anymore?)

1641024970_spider-man3cover.jpg.67dc79ddc332763d31e05a68ce5ce93c.jpg

201257428_spider-man3pinup1.jpg.ff7f2870dafe24c1ed9d5708f1b89062.jpg

1557105844_spider-man3pinup2.jpg.e7f50be0ae3cab3f5abb1a36e1212dfd.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

Just like to say a big thank you to all who responded. Its makes me feel good and its what being part of a community is all about.

ASM #3 it is then.

However, I have noticed that mid-grade ASM #3, like other light blue covers (eg. Sub- Mariner #1) often exhibit browning down the spine side. MattTheDuck showed a nice copy that was free of this and it may be a rare find ?

Thanks again,

Colin

On 4/22/2022 at 4:36 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Even though I like Romita's art better than Ditko's, ASM 50 is overrated. Between those two, I'd go with number 3 hands down.

I like both artists equally but I agree with you on 50.  I've alway thought that it was over rated...and over priced.

Edited by pemart1966

On 4/22/2022 at 8:48 AM, Colin Nash said:

Just like to say a big thank you to all who responded. Its makes me feel good and its what being part of a community is all about.

ASM #3 it is then.

However, I have noticed that mid-grade ASM #3, like other light blue covers (eg. Sub- Mariner #1) often exhibit browning down the spine side. MattTheDuck showed a nice copy that was free of this and it may be a rare find ?

Thanks again,

Colin

If there's something that bugs you about it then don't buy that particular copy.  Saving more money and adding it to what you have in order to buy a higher graded copy or a different copy in the same grade without that issue is always an option.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, pemart1966 said:

If there's something that bugs you about it then don't buy that particular copy.  Saving more money and adding it to what you have in order to buy a higher graded copy or a different copy in the same grade without that issue is always an option.

That's right, find one that has the right eye appeal for you.