• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiderman 3 or Spiderman 50 ?
6 6

71 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2022 at 8:52 AM, pemart1966 said:

If there's something that bugs you about it then don't buy that particular copy.  Saving more money and adding it to what you have in order to buy a higher graded copy or a different copy in the same grade without that issue is always an option.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, Jaylam said:

That's right, find one that has the right eye appeal for you.

Tastes differ, but I always go with eye appeal and page quality over grade. I would take a fresh 8.0 with white pages over a 9.8 with off-white pages any day of the week.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Tastes differ, but I always go with eye appeal and page quality over grade. I would take a fresh 8.0 with white pages over a 9.8 with off-white pages any day of the week.

One should always buy the book over the grade.  That's sometimes tough to do psychologically ...

Edited by pemart1966

3 seems to be landslide victorious.  But it would help if you put what grade ASM 50 you are looking at and how much you are paying for each.  

I mean if you are getting ASM 3 at FMV and ASM50 at $1500 under FMW, I would be swayed to go Kingpin.  

Of course if you have pics of the books, we could help make your decision as well. 

On 4/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Colin Nash said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I have come into a bit of cash to spend on something Silver Age that I've long wanted. If anyone can give me some advise it would be greaty appreciated.

So here it is. Should I buy a CGC high grade Amazing Spiderman #50 or, an Amazing Spiderman #3 in grade 5.5 for the same money ? 

Only have enough to buy one. What would you recommend.

Thanks,

Colin

yes.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:46 AM, Jaylam said:

Get as high grade as you can budget for a #3. Here's my copy and a close as I'll ever come to owning a copy. :wink:

Oddly, I can't remember how I got this other than it was a promotional item included in something. Not only that, but you also get these two cool Spidey pinups in issue #3. (on a side note, does anyone use the word "pal" anymore?)

1641024970_spider-man3cover.jpg.67dc79ddc332763d31e05a68ce5ce93c.jpg

201257428_spider-man3pinup1.jpg.ff7f2870dafe24c1ed9d5708f1b89062.jpg

1557105844_spider-man3pinup2.jpg.e7f50be0ae3cab3f5abb1a36e1212dfd.jpg

In Canada, and likely also the US, this was a Best Buy promo comic when the Spider-Man 2 DVD was released. 

The wall crawling poster was not in the original issue but the other one was.

On 4/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, JohnH19 said:

In Canada, and likely also the US, this was a Best Buy promo comic when the Spider-Man 2 DVD was released. 

The wall crawling poster was not in the original issue but the other one was.

Uh-oh, egg on my face. Which issue is the wall crawling pinup from?

On 4/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jaylam said:

Uh-oh, egg on my face. Which issue is the wall crawling pinup from?

Annual 1

I love 50. 
one of THE most iconic covers and first appearance of a great character in Kingpin

However….it has to be 3. 

it’s the first appearance of an all time classic villain in Doc Ock. Legendary issue and character. 

On 4/22/2022 at 5:48 PM, The lips said:

I love 50. 
one of THE most iconic covers and first appearance of a great character in Kingpin

However….it has to be 3. 

it’s the first appearance of an all time classic villain in Doc Ock. Legendary issue and character. 

Great artistic composition.  All you see of the villain's figure on the cover is his silhouette.   

This is a beautifully drawn book too.