• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my flash 1 -Mile High

12 posts in this topic

Just kidding. Here is the Flash 1 being auctioned by Heritage in January.

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...;hdnSearch=true

I see the book is garded 9.6. Does CGC take off anything for the tanning on the back cover? When I look at a graded book I examine the copy to decide whether the book fits the grade given. I have my pet peeves like everyone else. The shading doesn't bother me in a much lower grade but buying the book as a 9.6?

I guess if you want the MH Flash 1 you have limited alternatives but I really do wonder what the book will actually sell for?

Do you believe the book is truly a 9.6 under current grading standards?

Yeah, I can see the 9.6. My initial reaction upon looking at the front was that I was seeing a new comic book. Then you notice the back. The colors are so vibrant and if the Photo-journal is correct, representative of what the comic looked like right off the press. Now if this were a modern, excepting the tanning at the back, I would give 9.0 but GA's get a lot of exception to this. Gut screams 9.4 to 9.6. But seeing as we are dealing with a very representative example of "new" GA , I would agree with the 9.6. A weaker 9.6 than most but a 9.6 none the less.

I know CGC doesn't penalize much for dust shadows/tanning - at least not on GA books - but on a technical level I can't see giving it a 9.6. However, the front cover is damn near perfect that I can understand the desire to indicate that it is outstanding even for a Church book. I know in the SA collecting world that these .2 differences make a huge difference in value placed on a comic, but I have to believe that anything above a 9.0 is so rare with GA books, that whether a book is graded a 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6 can't make that big a differrence on what people are willing to pay for what is often the nicest copy in existence. Am I wrong about this?

not disagreeing with your thoughts, but that dust shadow is SERIOUS.

i have a hard time agreeing with the 9.6 grade. don't get me wrong - a gorgeous copy of a true GA Key, but i would love to see what a newer DC from 1964 would get with that dramatic of a visual defect..................

that book is worth a small fortune........... 893whatthe.gif