• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My adventure with 8000+ comic books begins
4 4

217 posts in this topic

Grabbed the partially filled box to help with sorting other boxes, was a mixed lot, I think we used this box to throw loose stuff in when we picked them up.  Most were mid 90's $2-3 things, so maybe some of that friend's stuff he mentioned.

Universal Monsters: Dracula, Frankenstein
Gen 13/Maxx
Shiloh
Shadow State
Lady Justice
Lost Universe
Mr. Hero
Caravan Kidd
Vortex
Magic the Gathering
The X-Files
One Pound Gospel
Inu-Yasha
The Maxx
Brinke of Destruction
Men In Black Retribution
Elementals
Oblivion
Leonard Nimoy's Primmortals Origins
Neil Gaiman's Teknophage & Wheel of Worlds
Xander in Lost Universe
The Batman Gallery
The Book of Fate
Mars Attacks Image

Not much in this, but there was one decent thing:

Animaniacs #1 (DC Logo) Guides show about $15 and eBay sold comps around $20 but that is regular newsstand/direct versions.  So does the DC Universe logo add anything beyond $15-20?

610295883_AniClose.JPG.273a0410e4f8aee65e7b2ef7f4c33e1f.JPG

@onlyweaknesskryptonite Thanks again for pointing these out

Get to take the 1st load down to the shop tomorrow, not sure if I want a 2nd box of DC/Marvel/Indie, or work on the "Kiddie" box (Disney/Simpsons type box) or go for a box of Adult - trying to get a mix to start with at first.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Grabbed the partially filled box to help with sorting other boxes, was a mixed lot, I think we used this box to throw loose stuff in when we picked them up.  Most were mid 90's $2-3 things, so maybe some of that friend's stuff he mentioned.

Universal Monsters: Dracula, Frankenstein
Gen 13/Maxx
Shiloh
Shadow State
Lady Justice
Lost Universe
Mr. Hero
Caravan Kidd
Vortex
Magic the Gathering
The X-Files
One Pound Gospel
Inu-Yasha
The Maxx
Brinke of Destruction
Men In Black Retribution
Elementals
Oblivion
Leonard Nimoy's Primmortals Origins
Neil Gaiman's Teknophage & Wheel of Worlds
Xander in Lost Universe
The Batman Gallery
The Book of Fate
Mars Attacks Image

Not much in this, but there was one decent thing:

Animaniacs #1 (DC Logo) Guides show about $15 and eBay sold comps around $20 but that is regular newsstand/direct versions.  So does the DC Universe logo add anything beyond $15-20?

610295883_AniClose.JPG.273a0410e4f8aee65e7b2ef7f4c33e1f.JPG

@onlyweaknesskryptonite Thanks again for pointing these out

Get to take the 1st load down to the shop tomorrow, not sure if I want a 2nd box of DC/Marvel/Indie, or work on the "Kiddie" box (Disney/Simpsons type box) or go for a box of Adult - trying to get a mix to start with at first.

The Animaniacs #1 appears to be in good shape. I would say you can probably get $30-35 for it.

Also in this lot you mentioned 

The Maxx. There are several of these that can sell for more. Especially the last few issues #30-35. Also any newsstands will definitely sell for more.

@onlyweaknesskryptonite Thanks!  The Animaniacs looks pristine, so I'll mark it $35 and see how it goes.

There was The Maxx 30 & 31 in there.  The guides had them at $3 (I'm just using the generic 9.4 for most of these).

eBay has #30 all over the place (Including shipping): $5.99, $8.75, $21.25, $21.50, $39.99

#31: $21.50, $31, $33.49, and some unknown best offers.  I'll definitely change the $3 price tags I had put on them up a bit.

These are mine:

maxx2.thumb.jpeg.2c910d3c008463118fd8ab7f45845788.jpeg

maxx1.thumb.jpeg.e6226b987b79c06867a0a29fdf39fe6e.jpeg

Also I went and looked at your tips from yesterday's box.  The sex special is this one:  Based on those prices, I'll up the price from $5 to $10

image.thumb.png.7f2f25093456c48e32fa33ce2bac5541.png

Many of the Dark Horse Alien editions I have were for the most part $1-2 on eBay or $4-5 with shipping, I have those all marked $3, the Sacrifice eBay about $6-7 combined, I have the at $5, but I did bump the Salvation up, those eBay $11-15, I only had $5 on it, so went to $10 - thanks yet again.

@Beige The Dark Horse Presents was of course... Aliens - I have it marked about where eBay is, and I bumped your other suggestions up some too, thanks!

Have to get the kids settled, then hopefully get through another box tonight.  You guys really are best!

On 4/26/2022 at 6:48 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

so see how the 30 looks so perfect on the spine and the 31 has that "tick"? That 30 may get you a premium due to condition and while the 31 is okay like that and worth the "standard price" the 30 looks very nice. (It is hard to not use words that are also comic grades in an attempt to make sure there is no confusion!) SOME people may pay extra for that book. Don't grab them on that side if you are trying to be careful, a strong thumb will put a tick on that 30 very easily

just an example, not too different in value but possibly worth the time to explain

On 4/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

@onlyweaknesskryptonite Thanks!  The Animaniacs looks pristine, so I'll mark it $35 and see how it goes.

There was The Maxx 30 & 31 in there.  The guides had them at $3 (I'm just using the generic 9.4 for most of these).

eBay has #30 all over the place (Including shipping): $5.99, $8.75, $21.25, $21.50, $39.99

#31: $21.50, $31, $33.49, and some unknown best offers.  I'll definitely change the $3 price tags I had put on them up a bit.

These are mine:

Also I went and looked at your tips from yesterday's box.  The sex special is this one:  Based on those prices, I'll up the price from $5 to $10

Many of the Dark Horse Alien editions I have were for the most part $1-2 on eBay or $4-5 with shipping, I have those all marked $3, the Sacrifice eBay about $6-7 combined, I have the at $5, but I did bump the Salvation up, those eBay $11-15, I only had $5 on it, so went to $10 - thanks yet again.

@Beige The Dark Horse Presents was of course... Aliens - I have it marked about where eBay is, and I bumped your other suggestions up some too, thanks!

Have to get the kids settled, then hopefully get through another box tonight.  You guys really are best!

Sounds good. The Maxx can be all over the place at times. I know if I were close I would pick those two up.  

The sex special you have is #2. I thought it was #1 which has a woman "on" a dolphin.  Reason I originally thought that was more, but different book. 

The Aliens do well in sets  the 1st series especially in high grade those can go for a lot more .

20220426_180346.jpg.18909b8d87e2efcf4777c89cdd7ec7c4.jpg

Although this is a high example.  #1 raw in good shape can still get $100.

Also with the Dark Horse Presents if it is #24 that would be the origin of Aliens which will get you more.(condition is always the biggest factor)20220426_180826.thumb.jpg.fbff8a96dc3164614d3178c40a289486.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 8:48 AM, StrikeOutXXX said:

These are mine:

As @onlyweaknesskryptonite has pointed out -  DHP 10, 24, 157 5th ann special are all $300+ books in 9.8 - still easy $50+ in good order.

The only thing I'd suggest changing is your selling method - open an ebay store.

1500 listings for $60 per month - so for 48c a book can sit there for a whole year if it doesn't sell, and has exposure to millions of people.

It takes a week or so to set up, managed payments, scanner, listing templates - but as you are using ebay already, then it should be easy.

As an FYI - some of those X rated comics will get pulled from ebay - others will be ok - but you MUST cover up any nudity in your scans.

@StrikeOutXXX Now you can do the rest your self!

Edited by Beige

On 4/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Here is tonight's box.  When I was deciding which to do next, I flipped through several other boxes trying to see what appeared interesting.  What I did notice is there are a lot more comics with original prices under $1 (60, 50, 30's and some 12 cents) vs the few boxes I've opened so far.  My other hope is so far, the vast majority of his old price-tags I've gone through were $1, $1.50, .75, etc.  These usually turned out to be the $2-$4 prices I'm putting on them today.  I saw whole boxes marked $2-$10, few $15-$20+, so I'm hoping the crud came down from the 2nd floor first, and good stuff last so got put on top of the vanload, meaning the good got put on the bottom of my house piles while unloading and I've been working out of the stuff on top thus far (gotta think positive).  

So, tonight's box he had marked DC Al - Ba

The Young All Stars
All Star Comics #74 (Fine) $15
All Star Squadron - 80's - Most from #2 to 66 (no #25/37/47/50)
Ambush Bug
American Freak
Anima
Animal Man (93/94)
Animaniacs
Aquaman #35 (Oct '67)  - Pics at end 8-)
Aquaman (1986, 89's, 91's, 94)
Arion
Armageddon 2001
Armageddon Inferno
Batman the Cult
Batman The Dark Knight Strikes Again - thick, $8
Batman Gallery
Batman Gotham Nights
Batman Punisher
Batman Riddler - The Riddle Factory
Batman/Spawn: War Devil
Batman/Two-Face: Crime and Punishment
Batman Annual Bloodlines Outbreak
Batman 29x between 402-504. 402=2nd print, 403 2nd & no date, 412/Mime,
Batman Armageddon 2001 Annual
Batman Detective Comics #0

Most were in the $3-$6 range, a few a little higher, but... here was the winner of the box:

Aquaman #35 - First Appearance of Black Manta

image.png.f3508a01b571542254d05a33e6948dd9.png

image.png.f4abdb4b4571b40df2e9a79152962c9a.png

image.thumb.png.826b18ffb859eb86bc0b0d071e61eaa6.png

image.png.ad4e04ad7d82725c640786bfc6b66de7.png

Let's assume for a minute it's about a 5?

Price guide shows $309, sold comps (graded of course) $365-$400

Certainly put a smile on my face.

All for tonight.  Probably won't get to any tomorrow, busy night.  Thanks again for all the guidance and knowledge you're passing on to me.  I'm trying to soak it all up.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

The length of that CBC on back cover maxes it out at 4.0 - still a nice find

Those Batman books usually are sets - Gotham Knights is a huge run

The Cult - 4 parter - easy $25 run.

Now, you can do the rest yourself! lol:foryou:

Seriously though - if this is all from one short box, you've scored big time. It may be in $10 - $100 runs, but there isn't anything you've listed that won't easily sell.

Get an ebay store!

Congrats to OP on the pickup, and for being willing to put in the work, and learn as they go. I think this is great. I've seen so many fly by night flippers looking to score collections, thinking they're going to make instant profit. Selling collections like this is real work, it takes time, and it can be a lot of fun. OP seems to have exactly the right attitude going into this, so I think they'll do just fine.

I picked up a 3000-ish book collection about a month ago, and I've whittled it down to the last 10 short boxes or so. It's been a lot of work, but it has been profitable and fun, as this is my hobby. 8000+ though, man, that makes me break out in a cold sweat ha Just thinking about hefting the boxes around, ugh.

Following up on the comments about the Dark Horse Aliens books, while it's true that most of the money is in the first prints, it's also true that there is a market for high grade copies of later printings. If you find any 9.6 or 9.8 candidates of later printings, I know there are many buyers who are looking for those books. Also, in addition to the earlier Aliens issues of DHP, the later appearances are hard to find and pricey in their own right, primarily 140 and 146, though 117 isn't an easy find either.

In your indie boxes, if you run across any chunks of Grendel, I'd hold onto them. Aside from the first appearance in Comico Primer 2, and the original 3 issue Grendel miniseries, Grendel isn't worth much right now. However, there's a Netflix series on the way, so there's a lot of potential in those books. Complete sets and high grade singles would likely sell well now, but if the show is a hit, there's lots of room for those books to continue moving upward.

Also, if you have 80's indies, be on the lookout for Dave Stevens covers. These will always sell, particularly in grade. Look for Airboy 5, Alien Worlds 2 & 4, DNAgents 24, Planet Comics 1, Starslayer 2, etc. Dave has had a devoted following for many years, but these books are still out there in the dollar bins of less educated sellers. I still find them to this day. So if you have a backstock of 80's indie books, you almost certainly have some Dave Stevens in there.

Edited by F For Fake

On 4/27/2022 at 7:06 AM, F For Fake said:

be on the lookout for Dave Stevens covers

@StrikeOutXXX  You had some Cheval Noir listed on your first breakdown (some Dave Stevens covers in that series).  They are difficult to find in the highest grades as there was some problem during production (maybe it was the glue) that causes a ripple over the cover from the square-bound spine.

Thanks @F For Fake and @Yorick for the heads up.  I found his gallery of published material here: https://www.davestevens.com/gallery/publisher

Cheval Noir #1 and #7 didn't look familiar, so don't think I had either of those, but looks like his Dark Horse published section had a lot of others and I know I saw about 3/4 of another box of Dark Horse in there last night, so will keep an eye out for others.

I didn't find any Grendel when it was with Comico publisher in that 1st indie box that had "C's", but there is another box of Dark Horse coming up and I didn't get to the "G'-Titles" within DH yet, so I'll watch for them.  Thankfully most of his stuff was somewhat in order although there were a few mixed/misc boxes due to moving them during the purchase.  Kind of an adventure each time I open a box.

I also saw a whole other box of I guess what I'd call packaged sets.  Looks like he bagged/boarded individual comics, then put a run/set into a bigger bag and was selling like a 3/4/6 whatever was in the set as a bundle, and I saw some more of those Dark Horse Alien bundles in there, but not sure which sub-title.

The few 1960's I've found and many of the 1970's comics have been read, so aren't mint, but I'd say some of the other 1970s and almost 99% of the 80's and 90's stuff has never been opened.  I'd guess the only hint of handling would have come from his bagging, stocking, folks flipping through his inventory, packing his store up, and moving the boxes around and sitting for 30 years, and my own unboxing, so that's good I suppose.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:15 AM, Lazyboy said:

Gotham Nights is a 4-issue mini that is decades past its peak popularity.

I was on about these, oh salty one.

Image 1 - Batman: Gotham Knights #19-20 (2001) VF to VF/NM, Brian Bolland covers

On 4/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, StrikeOutXXX said:

One Pound Gospel

You can definitely burn those.

I bought a bulk manga lot - it had 7 complete runs of series 1 and 2.

I still have all 7 lol

Can't literally give them away :pullhair:

Edited by Beige

On 4/27/2022 at 6:43 PM, Beige said:

I was on about these, oh salty one.

Image 1 - Batman: Gotham Knights #19-20 (2001) VF to VF/NM, Brian Bolland covers

I'm familiar with that series. Can we now talk about pre-Robin 'Tecs, just in case the OP got some of those that he hasn't mentioned yet and don't fit the stated time span? (shrug)

On 4/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

So, tonight's box he had marked DC Al - Ba

The Young All Stars
All Star Comics #74 (Fine) $15
All Star Squadron - 80's - Most from #2 to 66 (no #25/37/47/50)
Ambush Bug
American Freak
Anima
Animal Man (93/94)
Animaniacs
Aquaman #35 (Oct '67)  - Pics at end 8-)
Aquaman (1986, 89's, 91's, 94)
Arion
Armageddon 2001
Armageddon Inferno
Batman the Cult
Batman The Dark Knight Strikes Again - thick, $8
Batman Gallery
Batman Gotham Nights
Batman Punisher
Batman Riddler - The Riddle Factory
Batman/Spawn: War Devil
Batman/Two-Face: Crime and Punishment
Batman Annual Bloodlines Outbreak
Batman 29x between 402-504. 402=2nd print, 403 2nd & no date, 412/Mime,
Batman Armageddon 2001 Annual
Batman Detective Comics #0

That's a lot of... largely unexciting stuff, even conveniently missing All-Star Squadron 37 and 47. :tonofbricks:

On 4/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Most were in the $3-$6 range, a few a little higher, but... here was the winner of the box:

Aquaman #35 - First Appearance of Black Manta

(thumbsu Now that is something, even if it's lower grade.

OK, snuck a box in tonight after coin club.  I grabbed the first Marvel box I could get to - and it was my least favorite so far.  Most of the box got stickered $2-$3 with only a few minor upticks (6-8-10 etc).  I didn't find much even interesting personally, which is amazing to me seeing how much I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix
Alpha Flight, specials, annuals, 4x copies of #51 First Jim Lee work at Marvel
The Amazing Spider-Man: (Sets of 4) Skating on Thin Ice, Double Trouble, Hit & Run, Chaos in Calgary
- Several '93-'94 Spidey issues and annuals - Mostly $3-$4 stuff
A random The Astonishing X-Men
Avengers - Late 80's to early 90's all common stuff except
- #293 1st Appearance of Chairman Kang, Kang Cobra, Kang-Nebula
- #314 Spider-Man Appearance, Sersi joins Avengers team
- #315 Spider-Man, Space Pirate (Nebula) Appearance
- #350 Avengers vs the Starjammers / Sersi and Black Knight Kiss (9 copies 9.4=$15?)
Avengers Spotlight
West Coast Avengers ('85)
Avengers West Coast ('89)
Barbie Fashion
Battle Tide
Beavis and Butt-Head (These both surprised me and brought back good memories)
Bishop
Black Panther ('88)
Blackwulf
Bloodseed
Body Count (Marvel UK)
James Bond Jr.
Brute Force (#1 was a semi)
Buckaroo Banzai
Cable (Had three #3 1st Apperance of Weasel)
Cage

Some of you seem to enjoy what I find, even the crud, if for nothing else, reminds you of a title you probably haven't thought of or cared to think of for decades lol.  I love the little nuggets of info just the appearance of a title makes you guys remember, and love the tidbits you share with me.  Sorry for a boring box, I'll grab an Indie tomorrow.

@Beige - I have a few boxes of manga (Think I called them Anime at first).  Some are in the adult section, some I don't think are, but until I get to them and open a few books up, not really sure what they are, just going by the cover art.

@Lazyboy - I still have 39 boxes to go through, and I've only peeked into a few from the pile my wife wants gone first, but don't remember a Robin yet

Yup, a TON of unexciting stuff.  Remember... this is what was leftover after going out of business sales and clearance sales at his shop.  I would imagine if nobody wanted to buy it 30 years ago, they probably won't today either lol.  That Aquaman I found last night was priced at $22 30 years ago and nobody bought it.  All good - I'm still having a blast learning all this stuff.  You should have heard me at coin club tonight talking with my coin friends and those who know about this from the coin show - it's all I talked about - I found xyz, the forum folks showed me how to look for special this or art by that, and info from the 100+ PMs I've gotten - I think by the time the coin auction started they were tired of hearing about comic books.  I truly am enjoying this.

Months from now when the initial sort is done and I can digest what I've learned I can see myself starting to collect some of these.  Surprisingly, so far, I really like the indie type things more so than the mainstream ones, but really need to find time to read them to see what direction I go.

I took the 1st 5 boxes I had processed down to the shop today.  They did a Facebook post with a picture, something like "40 more boxes of comics still to come soon but we have these to look through now - some 1960's through early 1990's".   See how it goes.  The handful that were over $20 went into the case with my other stuff I sell there (Coins, cards, antiques, etc) but the bulk boxes are out for customers to flip through.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:09 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

OK, snuck a box in tonight after coin club.  I grabbed the first Marvel box I could get to - and it was my least favorite so far.  Most of the box got stickered $2-$3 with only a few minor upticks (6-8-10 etc).  I didn't find much even interesting personally, which is amazing to me seeing how much I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix
Alpha Flight, specials, annuals, 4x copies of #51 First Jim Lee work at Marvel
The Amazing Spider-Man: (Sets of 4) Skating on Thin Ice, Double Trouble, Hit & Run, Chaos in Calgary
- Several '93-'94 Spidey issues and annuals - Mostly $3-$4 stuff
A random The Astonishing X-Men
Avengers - Late 80's to early 90's all common stuff except
- #293 1st Appearance of Chairman Kang, Kang Cobra, Kang-Nebula
- #314 Spider-Man Appearance, Sersi joins Avengers team
- #315 Spider-Man, Space Pirate (Nebula) Appearance
- #350 Avengers vs the Starjammers / Sersi and Black Knight Kiss (9 copies 9.4=$15?)
Avengers Spotlight
West Coast Avengers ('85)
Avengers West Coast ('89)
Barbie Fashion
Battle Tide
Beavis and Butt-Head (These both surprised me and brought back good memories)
Bishop
Black Panther ('88)
Blackwulf
Bloodseed
Body Count (Marvel UK)
James Bond Jr.
Brute Force (#1 was a semi)
Buckaroo Banzai
Cable (Had three #3 1st Apperance of Weasel)
Cage

Some of you seem to enjoy what I find, even the crud, if for nothing else, reminds you of a title you probably haven't thought of or cared to think of for decades lol.  I love the little nuggets of info just the appearance of a title makes you guys remember, and love the tidbits you share with me.  Sorry for a boring box, I'll grab an Indie tomorrow.

@Beige - I have a few boxes of manga (Think I called them Anime at first).  Some are in the adult section, some I don't think are, but until I get to them and open a few books up, not really sure what they are, just going by the cover art.

@Lazyboy - I still have 39 boxes to go through, and I've only peeked into a few from the pile my wife wants gone first, but don't remember a Robin yet

Yup, a TON of unexciting stuff.  Remember... this is what was leftover after going out of business sales and clearance sales at his shop.  I would imagine if nobody wanted to buy it 30 years ago, they probably won't today either lol.  That Aquaman I found last night was priced at $22 30 years ago and nobody bought it.  All good - I'm still having a blast learning all this stuff.  You should have heard me at coin club tonight talking with my coin friends and those who know about this from the coin show - it's all I talked about - I found xyz, the forum folks showed me how to look for special this or art by that, and info from the 100+ PMs I've gotten - I think by the time the coin auction started they were tired of hearing about comic books.  I truly am enjoying this.

Months from now when the initial sort is done and I can digest what I've learned I can see myself starting to collect some of these.  Surprisingly, so far, I really like the indie type things more so than the mainstream ones, but really need to find time to read them to see what direction I go.

I took the 1st 5 boxes I had processed down to the shop today.  They did a Facebook post with a picture, something like "40 more boxes of comics still to come soon but we have these to look through now - some 1960's through early 1990's".   See how it goes.  The handful that were over $20 went into the case with my other stuff I sell there (Coins, cards, antiques, etc) but the bulk boxes are out for customers to flip through.

The manga has been definitely gaining popularity.  One that has really been seeing a lift is the Akira series. 

On 4/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The manga has been definitely gaining popularity.  One that has really been seeing a lift is the Akira series. 

Out of 7 boxes they were the ones that WERN'T in their!