What is a Fair Consignment Fee?
3 3

19 posts in this topic

2022 update to an old thread I found which had consensus on about 40%. My question is that 40% rate before or after eBay fees? I’m consigning a Bronze Age Marvel original owner collection and it has many keys. Some SA also. I’m looking to sell in person first then online

Edited by littledoom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40%??   More like 10%. But depends on what state the comics are in. Boxes of raw ungraded low or mid grade the dealer needs to spend way more time prepping grading and finding buyers, as well as discounting to sell

but slabbed books are a done deal. 10%. Or 15% tops if they need to be scanned etc. 

 

wait, are these being consigned to you to sell?  Or you looking to have someone else sell your books?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@littledoom

I was going to sell a slab to the LCS and they didnt want to buy it outright, as it is restored. They did offer to consign for 10% of sale, they mentioned in store and not online.

Online I would say what ever the bill of sale was, not sure about after fees. I guess that depends but should be laid out before hand. If before hand it is the sale, then its before fees. If not then choose what feels right between you and the other party, if your still hashing out the details. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it sounds like you are getting a collection from someone and you will sell it for him.  Make sure he understands the terms up front, in writing.  

Are the books in order? Bagged and boarded?  If not, who pays to get them ready for sale?  25-30% plus expenses seems fair to me.

Prepping collections can be time-consuming and should be handled differently than your fee for selling it., imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, Aman619 said:

40%??   More like 10%. But depends on what state the comics are in. Boxes of raw ungraded low or mid grade the dealer needs to spend way more time prepping grading and finding buyers, as well as discounting to sell

but slabbed books are a done deal. 10%. Or 15% tops if they need to be scanned etc. 

 

wait, are these being consigned to you to sell?  Or you looking to have someone else sell your books?

Yes these are raw vintage comics from the original owner. For the most part they’re all bagged/boarded. I will be selling them for him. It’s about two longboxes full plus extras

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well in that case,  if you can get 40% thats cool. It sounds like a high % but you'll be working hard for the money!  He may already realize its just no picnic selling boxes of comics, keys or no keys.  easier to buy them lol   If you offer 50-60% retail to just buy them he's getting the same deal and the money right away!  worth a shot.

Edited by Aman619
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 8:07 PM, Aman619 said:

well in that case,  if you can get 40% thats cool. It sounds like a high % but you'll be working hard for the money!  He may already realize its just no picnic selling boxes of comics, keys or no keys.  easier to buy them lol   If you offer 50-60% retail to just buy them he's getting the same deal and the money right away!  worth a shot.

wouldnt he get more than that from LCS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

in my experience talking to LCS owners over the years, they are "trapped"in a offer nothing and take your chances situation.  In the rare occasions when the seller HAS good stuff, If they alert the owners what their stuff is really worth they spook the seller into getting other offers.  And they never come back!  So they just throw out lowball offers to everyone.  Ive heard this scenario many times.

This seller with the comics has to realize how lucky he is that someone will take the time to do all the work for less than 50%.  The deal rests on whats the keys are, and what condition.  There may be some slabbing involved before its all said and done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 8:23 PM, Aman619 said:

in my experience talking to LCS owners over the years, they are "trapped"in a offer nothing and take your chances situation.  In the rare occasions when the seller HAS good stuff, If they alert the owners what their stuff is really worth they spook the seller into getting other offers.  And they never come back!  So they just throw out lowball offers to everyone.  Ive heard this scenario many times.

This seller with the comics has to realize how lucky he is that someone will take the time to do all the work for less than 50%.  The deal rests on whats the keys are, and what condition.  There may be some slabbing involved before its all said and done.

I know of one LCS that lowballed someone on a couple books he brought in to see what they'd offer.  He didnt know anything about comics he inherited the collection.  They way lowballed him and bought the books.  when he went to another LCS they told him what the books he sold were worth along with some other books he brought in.  The guy decided he wanted to sell the collection to them because they were honest.  This was a $200,000 collection.  The LCS explained that and said they could not afford the collection.  the guy said what can you offer and the honest LCS got the collection very cheap. The guy didnt want to go through the hassle of selling the books individually and just wanted a decent chunk of change and a fast transaction.
The initial LCS shot themselves in the foot with their lowballing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a question I thought of myself. If you are willing to give up 40% as a fee you can probably get close to that just selling them outright and be done with it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 9:14 PM, wombat said:

Its a question I thought of myself. If you are willing to give up 40% as a fee you can probably get close to that just selling them outright and be done with it. 

 

to a decent lcs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2022 at 8:07 PM, Aman619 said:

If you offer 50-60% retail to just buy them he's getting the same deal and the money right away!  worth a shot.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:14 PM, wombat said:

Its a question I thought of myself. If you are willing to give up 40% as a fee you can probably get close to that just selling them outright and be done with it. 

I tried buying them but he wants a lot. I don’t pay 50-60%. I pay somewhere around 30%. That said he is the original owner who bought these in the 80s and in the 90s. So he’s had these “babies” for decades. He values them greatly and has attachment. He brought up the consignment idea first and then I agreed it’s best to help him out.  He’s also in a financial situation where he needs the funds soon as he is out of work

Edited by littledoom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, kav said:

I know of one LCS that lowballed someone on a couple books he brought in to see what they'd offer.  He didnt know anything about comics he inherited the collection.  They way lowballed him and bought the books.  when he went to another LCS they told him what the books he sold were worth along with some other books he brought in.  The guy decided he wanted to sell the collection to them because they were honest.  This was a $200,000 collection.  The LCS explained that and said they could not afford the collection.  the guy said what can you offer and the honest LCS got the collection very cheap. The guy didnt want to go through the hassle of selling the books individually and just wanted a decent chunk of change and a fast transaction.
The initial LCS shot themselves in the foot with their lowballing.

I just wait outside after the sellers walk in with inherited comics on Saturdays. Shop employees don’t know how to handle these situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 9:48 PM, littledoom said:

I just wait outside after the sellers walk in with inherited comics on Saturdays. Shop employees don’t know how to handle these situations. 

many years ago in the 70s a guy got frustrated with the 10% or less LCS offered and stood outside the shop selling his collection.  He was banned from the store but didnt care.  I was like YOU ROCK!!!  lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

back then LCS held all the cards.  ugly times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, kav said:

many years ago in the 70s a guy got frustrated with the 10% or less LCS offered and stood outside the shop selling his collection.  He was banned from the store but didnt care.  I was like YOU ROCK!!!  lol 

That’s funny cause solicitors who sell chocolates to raise funds come into comic stores often asking if it’s okay to loiter 

Edited by littledoom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 10:01 PM, littledoom said:

That’s funny cause solicitors who sell chocolates to raise funds come into comic stores often asking if it’s okay to loiter 

guess the LCS didnt like 'im sellin his ASM 10 for $20 as opposed to their $60 book on the wall-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3