• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is tight too tight
2 2

18 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jim Stienbarger said:

With backing boards getting thicker is there a consensus on when a comic in mylar is too tight?

Maybe when it's difficult to remove the comic and board from the bag?

Thanks guys.

If you have to turn it upside down and shake it while you firmly grasp the book and the board and it still won't come out of the mylar, it's probably too tight...  :cry:

On 4/24/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jim Stienbarger said:

With backing boards getting thicker is there a consensus on when a comic in mylar is too tight?

Thanks guys.

I would think when you get to the point of wondering "is this too tight?"... stop. 

There's a trick to getting books in and out of mylars. Use a second board which you slip in front of the book to make a sandwich. The book comes out and goes in again easily and without putting any undue force on it. Just push the sides of the mylar together gently first, to allow the second board in front of the comic and you're all set. 

On 4/24/2022 at 8:23 PM, Jim Stienbarger said:

Thanks guys.

I started using Comic Proline 56 point thickness backing boards. I really like them as they are very rigid. I have doubled up 28 point thickness boards but the 56 point are more rigid than doubled up. I can still get the book into the bag and board even the thicker Marvel Giant-Size square bounds. It can be a little difficult to get the book out but what I do is remove both book and board at the same time to remove them from the mylar.