• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance comic Question
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 11:15 PM, siro123 said:

Appears in 11 panels says nothing.

First Appearance ?   or Cameo ?

Also

Appears in 10 panels and says help me in one panel.

First appearance or Cameo ?

Not enough context. Could be either first brief appearance or first full appearance. But definitely not cameo.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:15 PM, siro123 said:

Appears in 11 panels says nothing.

First Appearance ?   or Cameo ?

Also

Appears in 10 panels and says help me in one panel.

First appearance or Cameo ?

I wouldn't say cameo, but first appearance determinations have been known to be fuzzy. Sometimes, the market ultimately decides.

Can you give us the character's name, please, so we can have a look ourselves, and see what we think? At least that way we can give an informed opinion. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, jjaneaux said:
On 4/25/2022 at 10:22 AM, valiantman said:

Doomsday - yes or no

doomsday_mos17page.thumb.jpg.a1dd6dabe49e8cede4d8f33f075ecd31.jpg

Expand  

Technically, yes.

Splashy full-page panel with him declaring, "I am Doomsday!" that people like, no.

That's the ongoing debate.  It's not as binary as you declared.

Doomsday - yes or no

Whose fist is it?  Doomsday's?  Did he appear anywhere else before this?  No?  Then this is Doomsday's first appearance.  Maybe not the most collectible Doomsday comic.  Maybe not the most valuable Doomsday comic.  Maybe not a full body appearance of Doomsday.  But this would be Doomsday's first appearance.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, thunsicker said:

Doomsday - yes or no

Expand  

Whose fist is it?  Doomsday's?  Did he appear anywhere else before this?  No?  Then this is Doomsday's first appearance.  Maybe not the most collectible Doomsday comic.  Maybe not the most valuable Doomsday comic.  Maybe not a full body appearance of Doomsday.  But this would be Doomsday's first appearance.

What if his fist was in an advertisement earlier than this page?

On 4/25/2022 at 11:01 AM, valiantman said:
On 4/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, thunsicker said:

Doomsday - yes or no

Expand  

Expand  

What if his fist was in an advertisement earlier than this page?

Was it Doomsday?  Did he appear anywhere in comics before the advertisement?  If it was Doomsday and it was the first place he appeared it would be his first appearance.  Would it be his most important appearance?  No.  Would it be his most valuable appearance?  No.  Would it be his first appearance?  Yes.

Now if you really wanted to get me going it would be in an X-Men 201 type situation.  In retcon I would never consider it a first appearance.  For that matter I don't think Tales To Astonish 27 is Ant-Man's first appearance.  Hank Pym's, yes.  But not Ant-Man's.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, thunsicker said:

Was it Doomsday?  Did he appear anywhere in comics before the advertisement?  If it was Doomsday and it was the first place he appeared it would be his first appearance.  Would it be his most important appearance?  No.  Would it be his most valuable appearance?  No.  Would it be his first appearance?  Yes.

More Fun Comics #31 shows Superman in May 1938, clearly picturing him on the yet-to-be-released cover of Action Comics #1 for June 1938.

You've made it clear that it doesn't have to be the most valuable to be the first appearance, so you are saying that More Fun Comics #31 is the first appearance of Superman, correct?

On 4/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, thunsicker said:

That is correct.  From my understanding Superman first appears in an advertisement in More Fun Comics #31.  It's not his first "in continuity" appearance.  It's not his first "full" appearance.  It's not his most valuable appearance.  It's not his most sought after appearance.  But it is his first appearance in comics.

You'll have some trouble convincing... uh... pretty much everyone... to agree with you.