• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance comic Question
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, thunsicker said:

Now if you really wanted to get me going it would be in an X-Men 201 type situation.  In retcon I would never consider it a first appearance.  For that matter I don't think Tales To Astonish 27 is Ant-Man's first appearance.  Hank Pym's, yes.  But not Ant-Man's.

That would be tales to astonish 35.The first appearance of Ant man.One cool thing Spider-Man and Ant man came out just one month between  each other!

Edited by Bo1983

On 4/26/2022 at 11:01 PM, jcjames said:

Sounds kinda like an unnamed first appearance of a character later revealed in a full appearance. 

FB_IMG_1636892708077.jpg

On 4/25/2022 at 2:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

However, I also *hate* the decades later revisionist history that OAAW 83 is now the "first Sgt. Rock."

Not too unlike anyone thinking John Constantine appeared prior to Swamp Thing 37.

Curious... if Peter Parker appeared unnamed in one panel of Strange Tales 97 with May and Ben, what would people consider that appearance?

"11 panels" is the Gambit argument again.  The cameo debate is easy: if you can replace the character's appearance with them dressed in a tux and top hat doing jazz hands, and it has no effect on the story, it's a cameo.  In the annual, Storm walks Gambit in, and he's totally forgotten when the bad guy shows up.  The Gambit panels when they're getting blasted is actually Franklin.

What if the character appears all throughout a book, but in “the past”…then several books later appears again in “the present”? 

what’s the 1st appearance? 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:54 PM, FineCollector said:

Curious... if Peter Parker appeared unnamed in one panel of Strange Tales 97 with May and Ben, what would people consider that appearance?

"11 panels" is the Gambit argument again.  The cameo debate is easy: if you can replace the character's appearance with them dressed in a tux and top hat doing jazz hands, and it has no effect on the story, it's a cameo.  In the annual, Storm walks Gambit in, and he's totally forgotten when the bad guy shows up.  The Gambit panels when they're getting blasted is actually Franklin.

It’s actually 13 panels throughout and this page is the first appearance of Gambit (6 panels in this page alone) Key to the story, speaks, and named by Storm…selective memory?

1CC818F3-9AA3-4BA4-B8C1-EFE6A175C789.jpeg

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 5/20/2022 at 8:14 PM, AGGIEZ said:

What if the character appears all throughout a book, but in “the past”…then several books later appears again in “the present”? 

"1st Past Appearance of....."

"1st Present Appearance of..." 

"1st Future Appearance of..." 

"1st Appearance of The Shadow Of ...'s Embryonic Hand In A Test-Tube Displayed On A Screen In The Past Featured In An Advertisement Found In A Preview Issue"

On 5/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, AGGIEZ said:

The continuity timing doesn't matter. The first appearance is the first book.

I'd like to think that their First Appearance means I could draw them if I wanted to, and have an accurate representation of what they look like. That doesn't always work though, so I don't know if I'd count Doomsday as a first full appearance. 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, jcjames said:

"1st Past Appearance of....."

"1st Present Appearance of..." 

"1st Future Appearance of..." 

"1st Appearance of The Shadow Of ...'s Embryonic Hand In A Test-Tube Displayed On A Screen In The Past Featured In An Advertisement Found In A Preview Issue"

TEST TUUUUBBBEEEE!!!

star-trek-kirk-khan.gif