• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance comic Question
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, OtherEric said:
On 5/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jaylam said:

What's the cutoff on appearances that CGC will numerically notate? I mean like 2nd appearance, 3rd appearance.......at what point does it just become an "appearance"?

I know Overstreet lists up to around the 16th Legion appearance, no idea if the CGC does the same.

I think CGC stops at the 8th Legion of Super Heroes appearance.

1965902037_0626964010_12001.jpg.1e1f206c500647ac15fe4e937499db71.jpg

On 5/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, Off Panel said:

I've said it before, but...

Someone asks you, "What did Wolverine do in his first appearance?"

If you reflexively answer, "He fought the Hulk!" then deep down you see 181 as his first appearance.

If you reflexively answer, "He yelled his own name!" then deep down you see 180 as his first appearance.

As many of you have said, comics have their own quirks and conventions that force us to speak intentionally on matters like this. I'm very comfortable with the distinction between "first cameo appearance" (180) and "first full appearance" (181). I will even accept jcjames' nomenclature of "first brief appearance" for 180.

In my personal opinion, Hulk 181 is not Wolverine's unqualified first appearance, just as 180 isn't his first full appearance. 

1000 years from now there will still be a argument about this!!✌️

On 5/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Lazyboy said:

I think people who call anyone's first appearance a cameo must not have actually read a dictionary. 

As for Gambit, we've been over that in great detail.

That’s hilarious…

excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:”

you must work for the US media…

On 5/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, AGGIEZ said:

That’s hilarious…

excluding the single page where he and Storm were outside/entering what was left of the mansion:”

you must work for the US media…

(shrug)

Yes, he's actually somewhat relevant on one of the forty story pages. That's a whopping 2.5% of the story, which is only even there to bring Storm back to the team. Marvel still actually had continuity then, so Gambit had to be tagging along.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:39 AM, Lazyboy said:

(shrug)

Yes, he's actually somewhat relevant on one of the forty story pages. That's a whopping 2.5% of the story, which is only even there to bring Storm back to the team. Marvel still actually had continuity then, so Gambit had to be tagging along.

And? So your subjective assessment of his relevance and impact to the storyline means he doesn’t “appear” at all?