• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst LIEFELD cover ever?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 11:14 PM, APDallas said:

So I picked this up out of the 50¢ box. This might be the worst Liefeld cover ever? Agree? Have a worst cover?

IMG_20220425_0001.jpg

I'm bored with ting on Liefeld, but even if I was, what's so bad about this particular cover, compared to his other work? Things don't look that bad to me. 

On 4/25/2022 at 8:14 AM, APDallas said:

So I picked this up out of the 50¢ box. This might be the worst Liefeld cover ever? Agree? Have a worst cover?

IMG_20220425_0001.jpg

I actually don't mind this one, and I tend to hate most things Liefeld.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, Cat said:

I'm bored with ting on Liefeld, but even if I was, what's so bad about this particular cover, compared to his other work? Things don't look that bad to me. 

Agreed. Sketch covers gonna look sketchy. And, sure, I have absolutely no idea at all how that gun is being held... but maybe it's actually just built into the armor and so doesn't need to be held. Regardless, there's one entire hand with functional, articulated fingers. And the body has overall dimensions that don't seem entirely inappropriate for a human-sized robot suit. That's more than Cable got on the Second Genesis cover, or either character got on the Badrock #1B cover.

Cable Looks Like An Actual RectangleWhat Goes Where

On 5/7/2022 at 9:36 AM, D2 said:

Rob Liefeld is awful and we should stop making threads about him, that way he can disappear into the night. 

This is how bad he is, someone did a blog post about it:

Rob sucks

2580FE42-5A41-48E0-8B67-F17A4F367798.webp

4CCD385A-CC49-476B-9FB7-985FA34A3727.webp

Dude, that's pretty harsh! I happen to like his stuff. There's a lot worse stuff out there than his. Example have you every seen the art in Gamma Flight and every issue of the Thunderbolts? The list goes on and on.... I don't care for Donny Cates writing, his run in Thanos I thought was garbage, The Fallen One a hoard....WTF I know people like Cates, people like what people like, let other people enjoy what they want. When I see his stuff I tend to stay away from it. So remember what your mom said when you where little, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, vader2001 said:

Dude, that's pretty harsh! I happen to like his stuff. There's a lot worse stuff out there than his. Example have you every seen the art in Gamma Flight and every issue of the Thunderbolts? The list goes on and on.... I don't care for Donny Cates writing, his run in Thanos I thought was garbage, The Fallen One a hoard....WTF I know people like Cates, people like what people like, let other people enjoy what they want. When I see his stuff I tend to stay away from it. So remember what your mom said when you where little, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. 

My mom hated Liefeld too. :nyah:

On 5/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, vader2001 said:

Don't worry mate, there are all sorts of people out there that collect garbage. You'll never be alone

image.thumb.png.f3705d4f631e8c4a4fefcbe0528aba41.png

On 5/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, Parabellum said:

Liefeld isn't as bad as Simon Bisley.  Bisley artwork is pure garbage IMHO.

Hmm, I would have to respectfully disagree. Bisley's art is highly stylized, so it's obviously going to appeal to some folks, and not to others. But Bisley at least has a foundation of fundamentals. He can do "straight" work if the need arises. As they say, you have to learn the rules before you can break them.

Meanwhile, Liefeld never learned the rules. There is no foundation to build from, no real understanding of anatomy. It's all style, with zero substance to build said style around.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I liked Liefeld when I was a kid. I remember picking up What If Wolverine was a member of SHIELD off of the stands, and it blew my mind. I was INTO IT, in a big way. But pretty soon, by the time X-Force rolled around, it was clear that the emperor had no clothes...but he had lots of pouches.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

The angst. The grimacing. The disembodied body parts. The gratuitous cross hatching. This one would win hands down if not for the fact that there's no pouches.

6a00d8345158e369e20115708ce2cd970b-pi

I like that cover!

The worst for me would be Mignolas X-Factor stuff.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

The angst. The grimacing. The disembodied body parts. The gratuitous cross hatching. This one would win hands down if not for the fact that there's no pouches.

This cover is terrible, but it would be less top-of-the-list terrible without the disembodied woman's face and without the first cover appearance of Awkward Floating Almost-Crotch-Grabbing Hand (coming soon to the MCU!).

On 5/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, lostboys said:
On 5/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

Spoiler

Expand  

I like that cover!

Let me guess, vision impaired?

Edited by JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So I actually went to a Liefeld signing today at a local comic shop. Regarding his artwork, I loved it as a kid, and like it less now that I see past the style and excessive lines, but he was an important part of my childhood and comic fandom foundation. For that, I still enjoy his work on some level. His newer stuff isn't as cool as the older in my opinion, but hey, what we like is all opinion anyway.

As for the signing, since he charged for everything (including photos) except a freebie he'd give if you bought Deadpool Bad Blood #1 to support the store (cover price), I just got that book and his basic signature on What If...? Vol. 2, # 7, which is the comic that introduced me to him. I thought it was so badass at the time, and I actually traded for it, from what I recall, with a neighbor kid who had it. Looking at it now, it's still pretty cool, but Wolvie's head and neck are on his left shoulder! lol

Liefeld is flawed, but fun! I think we can all share in that fun whether fan or not, with admiration, laughs, or both! :peace:

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

i seriously dont know how he has a career.  all his comics suck, he cant even become an average artist after all these years.  so much better talent out there but they dont even get a chance. i just dont get it, he must hold something over someone because there is zero explanation.