• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning / Bleaching Original art
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

This is a service I don't ever hear much about. But what are everyone's thoughts on cleaning original art, much like comics. I have two pages from the mid 80's, both are pricey pieces. Both are cream in color, and I'd love to have them restored to their former "off-white to white" color. Any successful and consistent methods out their? Is there a dry cleaning method that works for this, if not what cleaning solvent a will protect the India ink? 

Robert Dennis is one of the more commonly known restorers and does good work, he worked on a piece for me and I was happy.

You will also find him mentioned in news articles reporting events of Jan 6. I believe we established here on the boards that it is one and the same

I mention it because I expect it to come up anyway.

Edited by Bird

On 4/25/2022 at 7:44 PM, ReubenRuppert said:

Hey guys, 

This is a service I don't ever hear much about. But what are everyone's thoughts on cleaning original art, much like comics. I have two pages from the mid 80's, both are pricey pieces. Both are cream in color, and I'd love to have them restored to their former "off-white to white" color. Any successful and consistent methods out their? Is there a dry cleaning method that works for this, if not what cleaning solvent a will protect the India ink? 

I have had pages cleaned before, but only because they had other issues.  If the page is consistently cream, I wouldn't bother, but that' just me.

It's not something you would do yourself, a restorer is best.

Malvin

Everything above is correct I think.

I have had good luck with Robert Dennis in some high end art who I think is honest and good at this work.  I first saw him in an interview I think on CAF's youtube or something like that where he explains his process.  

I know that someone in the hobby who has a top collection recommended someone near San Diego to me as being good as well.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:44 PM, ReubenRuppert said:

Hey guys, 

https://comicarttracker.com/faq-en/collecting-original-comic-art/where-can-i-restore-my-original-comic-art

Robert Dennis cleaned up a 1966 Ditko cover for me and did an excellent job.  He was involved in some political business that he was facing charges on, but as I don't live in the USA try not to voice an opinion on the country's domestic issues.  I'd certainly recommend him, though you'd have to check on his availability  :wink:

Edited by The Voord