• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's El Muerto (seriously?): is it April 1?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Never heard of this character.

But hopefully Sony has something logical planned here to make this worth expanding out the 900 characters it has movie rights to as part of the Spider-Verse. Good on them for at least taking a big risk. But only if they have the Spider juice to make it fit the overall Spider-Verse.

And suddenly we have another $100-150 modern that was sitting in the dollar bin yesterday. 

I remember this book.  I didn't care about El Muerto years ago and still don't care about it.

However, I will say this. Bad Bunny is a draw.  He is money. 

Bad Bunny Reclaims His Crown as the World’s Biggest Pop Star

The above link to Bloomberg will shed some light on it.

I also have to say that he did something that very much impressed me.  When he was tasked to perform at Wrestlemania last year, he was all in.  He wasn't going to be a celebrity that just showed up and made a hot tag to come in and do the staged punch and win the match.  The guy did train for the event to learn how to do fight club ballet and take bumps.  He took it very seriously.   But one thing that was proven is that he has a fervent fan base that seems to follow the guy.

Think of it like Phish.  You don't hear them on the radio.  The majority here would not be able to name five songs but Phish sells out MSG every time they come to New York.  In fact last Friday tickets in the cheap seats were selling at around $450 on Stubhub just to walk through the door and hours before people bought the tickets for $750 each in the lower 200's (I was pricing them and thinking of going but couch toured instead.)

The movie may be horrible.  The character may be horrible.  But... this might have a chance because Bad Bunny draws money. 

@jaybuck43 is going to make fun of me for saying this so he gets tagged. 

On 4/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

And suddenly we have another $100-150 modern that was sitting in the dollar bin yesterday. 

I remember this book.  I didn't care about El Muerto years ago and still don't care about it.

However, I will say this. Bad Bunny is a draw.  He is money. 

Bad Bunny Reclaims His Crown as the World’s Biggest Pop Star

The above link to Bloomberg will shed some light on it.

I also have to say that he did something that very much impressed me.  When he was tasked to perform at Wrestlemania last year, he was all in.  He wasn't going to be a celebrity that just showed up and made a hot tag to come in and do the staged punch and win the match.  The guy did train for the event to learn how to do fight club ballet and take bumps.  He took it very seriously.   But one thing that was proven is that he has a fervent fan base that seems to follow the guy.

Think of it like Phish.  You don't hear them on the radio.  The majority here would not be able to name five songs but Phish sells out MSG every time they come to New York.  In fact last Friday tickets in the cheap seats were selling at around $450 on Stubhub just to walk through the door and hours before people bought the tickets for $750 each in the lower 200's (I was pricing them and thinking of going but couch toured instead.)

The movie may be horrible.  The character may be horrible.  But... this might have a chance because Bad Bunny draws money. 

@jaybuck43 is going to make fun of me for saying this so he gets tagged. 

You posted what I was basically going to post. He’s not my cup of tea musically,  but he gives 110% of himself and he has a VERY devoted fan base who will show up in droves to support him. It could work.

On 4/26/2022 at 6:57 PM, Bird said:

sony looks like it is doing what I always want marvel to do, make smaller movies with smaller stories

because the mcu is so tight and controlled we will never see so many cool stories/moments

Madame Web, El Muerto are odd choices but maybe that is the plan, make a smaller (but still superhero big) movie that pays off well if it hits like Venom did

So Morbius may not be the bee's knees but they aren't hurt too badly and they don't hurt a franchise (e.g. DC) when one movie is a stinker

MCU has no interest in making a Spidey-Torch teamup movie, or Beast Wonder-Man, or Havok & Wolverine, or X-Ladies go shopping movie but those would be so much fun. Maybe Sony can do something like that.

I really like your thinking here. Honestly, I've always liked Spidey as a title because it was full of smaller, somewhat-grounded-in-reality stories. (Homecoming and Far From Home are two recent movies that captured that dynamic on film very pleasingly.) I'd love to see more of those, from Sony or Marvel or whoever.

I would rather follow Bad Bunny and El Muerto than Silver Sable, Nightwatch, Jackpot, Morbius and even Kraven. At least El Muerto is more or less a blank slate and they are free to do what they want with the property. Also, as a previous poster wrote, he was very impressive in WWE; the guy seriously trained for it and was all in. 

On 4/27/2022 at 9:32 PM, Lpgk said:

At least El Muerto is more or less a blank slate and they are free to do what they want with the property.

That's the James Gunn model. Maybe not, "blank slate", rather relatively unknown to general audiences. If the director has chops, and the studio gives him/her laissez faire, it could very well be a recipe for success.