• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd Chance Offer - eBay - Reasonable?
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2022 at 7:42 AM, Funnybooks said:

what happens in a scenario where the winning bidder is also the third bidder right below the underbidder?

I don’t see that when I send the offer, I just see the bidders and their last and losing bid

Edited by jsilverjanet

I would say do as some suggested here...tell them that the other bidder bid up the item and that, had they not, you would have won with "x" bid. That is where you feel comfortable. Be polite (even if this seller is a shill biddin' SOB). If they get testy and are like "rawr rawr rawr you bid $630, why can't you now pay that" well then I think you have your answer to what really happened and you can never buy from them again. If they are like, ok I am going to relist well you can watch and hope for the best again or possibly lose out. 

On 4/26/2022 at 1:09 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Me: bid $500

Me: bid $600 because I really wanted the item

Buyer-A: outbids me

Me: bid $620 - eBay says I need to bid higher

Me: bid $630 - eBay says I need to bid higher

Buyer-A: wins at $640

My question is When Buyer A outbid you (when your top bid was $600) did he do it all at once (coming in with a $610 bid out of the blue), or did he do it by inching up with multiple bids (that your $600 out bid him on) until he "over took you" at $610? 

On 4/26/2022 at 12:09 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

The seller, an established business, extended an offer to purchase the comic at the bid amount I entered before I lost, not at the amount Buyer-A won with.

If I trust the seller I don't think they're engaged in shill bidding. Whether established means trusted is up to you.  But I'll echo @jsilverjanet this has happened to me in the past as a seller.  I didn't shill bid anyone up; buyer flakes out and I made an offer to the 2d highest bidder.  If they take it, great.  If not, whatever.  I also rarely auction anything on Ebay anymore anyway.  

On 4/26/2022 at 9:55 AM, Point Five said:

Ebay used to be more entertaining back when it showed the identities of all bidders, and shill bidding was even more glaringly obvious. I'm remembering one comic auction in particular from yesteryear: the seller's ebay ID was something like sexyman301, and if you looked at the bid history, bidders sexyman302, sexyman303 and sexyman304 were all trading bids for the top spot.

what are you bidding on that SexyMan is outbidding you :baiting:

On 4/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, billsid said:

Sounds like SHILL bidding ebay is crazy with it and there's nothing anyone can do about it, seller has another account and bids up the auction once he see's there's another interested party if the interested party stops bidding and doesn't BITE for the higher bid it's always the winner failed to bid or decided he didn't want it. I get these offers all time it's a complete joke 1 outta 10 might be legit.

When I buy a book from Ebay, I only buy graded books, and I only buy books with Buy It Now, preferably ones with Best Offer. I have been the victim of shenanigans too many times.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, Transplant said:
On 4/26/2022 at 1:09 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

The seller, an established business, extended an offer to purchase the comic at the bid amount I entered before I lost, not at the amount Buyer-A won with.

If I trust the seller I don't think they're engaged in shill bidding. Whether established means trusted is up to you.  But I'll echo @jsilverjanet this has happened to me in the past as a seller.  I didn't shill bid anyone up; buyer flakes out and I made an offer to the 2d highest bidder.  If they take it, great.  If not, whatever.  I also rarely auction anything on Ebay anymore anyway.  

To me its not even an issue of shill bidding or not. Its just the fact that the bid was increased multiple times from a bidder who ultimately was a non bidder. Shilling. Couldn't afford to pay. Cat made the bid by accident. It all equates to the same thing at the end of the day. 

Usually I'm happy to get a second chance offer, but then I don't generally bid more than I want to pay. Yeah, it would be nice to have gotten something for less if it hadn't been bid up by a deadbeat (or a shill), but if I was okay with winning it at my top bid, then I'm going to be okay with paying my top bid. In this case it looks like you really didn't want to pay as much as you bid when afraid you were losing out, and are probably relieved you didn't win at your top bid, so with a clearer head aren't willing to pay as much anymore. 

I had an opposite experience recently. I lost out as the immediate underbidder, and was happy to get a second chance offer, but the seller had sent it to all the underbidders at my bid price, and someone else accepted before I got a chance.:frown:

On 4/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, wombat said:

To me its not even an issue of shill bidding or not. Its just the fact that the bid was increased multiple times from a bidder who ultimately was a non bidder. Shilling. Couldn't afford to pay. Cat made the bid by accident. It all equates to the same thing at the end of the day. 

Yeah but there is no telling how many legitimate bids got chased out during that run up because a lot of people (maybe even most of them) bid at literally the last second.  So as a seller, I don't think it's fair to assume that no one would have gone over $500 (in this case) because I've had this happen to me several times, legitimately, as a seller.  At the same time I wouldn't expect the 2nd place buyer to pay his tip top price because I don't want him to think that I was shilling.  That's why when this happens to me I offer it to the 2nd place buyer at a discount from his final bid.  I've never had anyone refuse.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, Poekaymon said:

Yeah but there is no telling how many legitimate bids got chased out during that run up because a lot of people (maybe even most of them) bid at literally the last second.  So as a seller, I don't think it's fair to assume that no one would have gone over $500 (in this case) because I've had this happen to me several times, legitimately, as a seller.  At the same time I wouldn't expect the 2nd place buyer to pay his tip top price because I don't want him to think that I was shilling.  That's why when this happens to me I offer it to the 2nd place buyer at a discount from his final bid.  I've never had anyone refuse.

I don't necessarily disagree. But as a buyer it would certainly feel like I was paying more than I should. Of course every situation is different and each person can judge the offer how they want. 

Meh, Id prob pay whatever my high bid was but not a penny more.

Still a shill auction though.

Im bidding on an expensive auction right now and Im getting that shill feeling. I usually snipe but I have a feeling the high bid is untouchable and the seller is testing the waters to see what they could get. 

Ill make my best offer with 1 minute left. Thats basically what these shill auctions boil down to.

Your highest bid = your best offer.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:15 PM, D84 said:

So, if you won the book for $630 initially, would you have been happy?

I would not be..at all

Not after knowing that I would/could have won it for less..sometimes far less than my final/best bid. $.02

Edited by Funnybooks