• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: BEYOND THE SPIDER-VERSE PART 2 (2024)
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Splitting the ‘Spider-Verse’ Sequel Into Two Parts Actually Makes Sense

Why was Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse delayed?
Apparently, the sequel was delayed to split it into two parts, which makes sense.

This doesn’t feel like the usual part one-part two sequel cash grab that Hollywood likes to pull. We’re all familiar with disasters like Twilight: Breaking Dawn – Part I and Part II, or Divergent’s Allegiant Part I and Part II, the latter of which never came to pass because audiences were tired of dystopian cash cow movies. Unlike the aforementioned movies, Spider-Verse has plenty of source material.

Those familiar with the Spider-Verse comics know that there’s plenty of material to pull from. The Spider-Verse comic book universe has been going since 2015, and its popularity resulted in spinoff series like the Edge of the Spider-Verse titles. These are ending soon to make room for End of the Spider-Verse, the massive multi-title series that inspired Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man: No Way Home. Of course they’d make more movies.

Beyond the Spider-Verse is coming in 2024

The next chapter in Miles Morales’ multiversal story is here with Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse, and it’s great. But now that we’ve seen it, we have one thing we think everybody should remember going into it: The working title for this movie was Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse — Part 1. And there’s another movie on the way.

Just like how Avengers: Endgame was originally called Avengers: Infinity War — Part 2, Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse was originally titled Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse — Part 2. Without saying anything in particular about how Across the Spider-verse does (or doesn’t) end, we just think you’ll have a better time watching the movie if you know there’s another one right around the bend. If you’re expecting everything to get wrapped up by the time the credits roll, you might be in for a shock.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Yep, and it wasn't a pleasant one. I am really not a fan of 2 part films, especially cliff hangers. It's one of 2 main reasons why I prefer to watch shows once they are done and full seasons available to binge. However, if done right they are made bearable when the ending of the first part wraps somethings up and leaves the main conflict to be resolved. Empire strikes back did this very well, Back to the future did it ok, the Matrix and even Infinity war left on a real good gut punch where we were all feeling the hopelessness of the situation out of our control and yet were satisfied that we could spend the rest of the year speculating on the resolution.

But Across the spider-verse just didn't do that. It did the same thing as Fast and the Furious X movie. It felt like it cut to commercial but then just went straight to credits with to be continued. It felt like they just decided to cut a 4 hour movie in half at one of the high tension points.

SPOILER ALERT 

They could have cut it right when Miles gets in the send you home machine and the monitor reads the wrong universe, or once miles realizes he's in the middle of the wrong universe. But no they dragged it out just long enough to introduce the young prowler. It just felt clumsy. 

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse co-director Kemp Powers teased exciting things to come for Miles G. Morales' Prowler from Earth-42. 

Spider-Verse 2 ended with a massive cliffhanger that led fans to wildly speculate what comes next in the 2024 threequel. At the end of the movie, the main Miles Morales was accidentally transported to Earth-42 after it was revealed that the spider that bit him was from that universe. 

After realizing that he is on the wrong Earth, Miles was knocked out by Earth-42's Miles, who was later revealed to be that universe's Prowler. The sequel's ending ultimately set up the events of Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse, aka Spider-Verse 3. 

Spider-Verse 3 Gets Exciting Release Update from Lead Actor

Speaking with ComicBook.com, Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse star Jake Johnson, who plays Peter B. Parker, gave an exciting update about the threequel's upcoming release.

Johnson reminisced on how all of the directors from the first two movies "became executive producers" as well, adding as much input as they could for both stories.

"Here’s what I can promise, and I said it about the second one when we were in the middle of it: Phil Lord, Chris Miller, everybody, the producers on this, the directors they’re going to bring in ... What they did on the first one is all the directors became executive producers. So they just keep adding to it. What I can promise is they are not going to stop until it’s excellent."

He even indicated that it may take "a little bit longer" to complete the movie, as the producers "don’t play by anybody’s rules" and are willing to do anything needed to make the movies as good as possible:

"And if that means it takes a little bit longer, if that means it’s even bigger, if that means it’s longer -- they don’t play by anybody’s rules. They work really hard. As actors in it, we’re always shocked that we get called in to record on this last one. I think it was a month before it screened, where we could not believe we were still recording. So they’re not going to quit until it’s great and I have nothing but faith in them. But in terms of giving anything away [about the story], can’t do it."