• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon #1 King 1968 military giveaway is it scarce?
3 3

55 posts in this topic

I picked up a couple of these in a lot I bought. It's a 1968 reprint of the 1966 FG #1, with the 4 pg Mandrake story replaced by ads, including a re-enlist pitch. It was apparently (meant to be?) given away on military bases, and has "complimentary" in the banner where "brand new" appeared originally.

While there are probably a couple dozen copies of the 1966 edition on ebay, and nearly as many sold, I can't find a single copy of this on ebay, current or sold. Is it actually scarce? And if so is there a warehouse stash of 200K copies waiting to found? :nyah:

flash gordon giveaway.jpg

I have one of these, @rjpb, as I collect complimentary Kings and Charltons:

80372103_FlashGordon1(1968)12cComplimentary.thumb.jpg.1c1f28d9afadbbe31c1fdf4cb82bf105.jpg

They don't come up that often on eBay lately, and are comparatively scarce compared to the original - as you say, 20 or so regular copies available / sold on eBay currently but no complimentaries - but I have seen listings in the past that suggest bulk lots being a thing, as you might expect:

fg.PNG.6f9c9b9b04431909852f947dd66e97c4.PNG

I haven't detected a huge premium on them which stands to reason as few will likely be interested. Accordingly, I wouldn't expect it to go for more than the original unless someone was particularly keen to grab themselves a variant copy and took their chance on a highly priced BIN.

Beetle Bailey giveaways are fun to collect - both King and Charlton. Some are quite prevalent but others are extremely scarce. I'm not sure there is even a full list of what exists published anywhere (I have more examples than the GCD has to offer, currently) but I'm working on it.

Here's a nice one:

1072794869_BeetleBailey58(April1967)ComplimentaryCopy.thumb.jpg.0e238ee184806ea5cbc6433f71a7a377.jpg

I love the look on the dog's face, which would make a good forum avatar  Capture.PNG.63dee2e144cb04eda3d62b18fcb8c9ed.PNG

@Get Marwood & I Thanks for the info. I'll probably just list them on ebay, touting the "rarity" as compared to the regular issue, but without a premium attached, though there is a pretty broad FMV range even on the regular based on ebay sales, $15-$40  inc. shipping in similar condition. I was kind of surprised it was that much, as though it's a 56 year old book, it was one where supply seemed to outstrip interest back in the day, despite the nice Williamson art. 

On 4/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, rjpb said:

I was kind of surprised it was that much, as though it's a 56 year old book, it was one where supply seemed to outstrip interest back in the day, despite the nice Williamson art. 

There's no accounting for taste, is there :grin:

Good luck!

Ah.  Now I know who my competition is!

A seller had a box of around 25-30 copies of the comp copy on feebay about a year ago.  I asked to buy several at once and they obliged by putting up a group of four (which I believe is where @Get Marwood & I image came from).

I have at least 10 copies of the complimentary copy at this point and I have not been satisfied that any are above 9.0.  I will likely have to send my best few to a presser/fixer if I ever decide to submit a book to CGC again.  I believe there is a 9.0+ on the census.  I want to buy it BADLY.

Al Williamson is awesome.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:05 PM, Yorick said:

Ah.  Now I know who my competition is!

A seller had a box of around 25-30 copies of the comp copy on feebay about a year ago.  I asked to buy several at once and they obliged by putting up a group of four (which I believe is where @Get Marwood & I image came from).

I have at least 10 copies of the complimentary copy at this point and I have not been satisfied that any are above 9.0.  I will likely have to send my best few to a presser/fixer if I ever decide to submit a book to CGC again.  I believe there is a 9.0+ on the census.  I want to buy it BADLY.

Al Williamson is awesome.

Ha!

There seem to be two versions in circulation - the one shown in this thread and one with the purple colouring missing above the top corner complimentary wording:

283253836_FlashGordon1(1969)12cComplimentary.jpg.643e8bb23c16a12fbdd65d7f142042d0.jpg  1293588583_MissingColourTopRightCornerTriangleb(2).jpg.3b4da0c470305c36e12a27248b787aaf.jpg

Which do you have Yorick?

On 4/27/2022 at 11:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Which do you have Yorick?

Ooooo!  Look at you with all your fancy knowledge!!  I have not heard of nor seen that error before.  Thanks so much for adding another book to my list.:cry:

I checked the census.  1 copy at 9.0, 1 copy at 7.5, and 1 copy SS at 3.5.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Yorick said:

Ooooo!  Look at you with all your fancy knowledge!!  I have not heard of nor seen that error before.  Thanks so much for adding another book to my list.:cry:

I can't help it Yorick. I've just this minute discovered a new Harvey variant. I'm like a machine lol

On 4/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Yorick said:

Thanks so much for adding another book to my list.:cry:

What Kings do you collect then - or is it a Flash fetish?

@Get Marwood & I have you ever seen another of those King Comics Philippines print with the white cover?  I really want that one.

Just the other day a package arrived from the UK with some Flash Gordon pence copies and a Heritage edition.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What Kings do you collect then - or is it a Flash fetish?

Definitely fetish!  Flash Gordon 4 was my first comic book.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:18 PM, Yorick said:

@Get Marwood & I have you ever seen another of those King Comics Philippines print with the white cover?  I really want that one.

This one?

236469021_flashphillipines.jpg.1da311669759818853500ddb883bdec6.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 7:18 PM, Yorick said:

Just the other day a package arrived from the UK with some Flash Gordon pence copies and a Heritage edition.

:cloud9:

On 4/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, Yorick said:

Geez.  I need to leave this thread ASAP.  Now another on my list.

I won this Berk Collection copy a little while back:

fla15.220a.jpg

Cor, that's nice. More stairs!

On 4/27/2022 at 11:21 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

This one?

To answer your question, no.  It was in the Filipino comics thread and had Flash with two other characters arm-in-arm (drawn by Williamson) over a white background.  It was titled "King Comics", not Flash Gordon.

Edited by Yorick
I AM WRONG! Keep reading the Thread...