• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the most popular/high sought Underground Comix?
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Let's make the list here.  Make sure that you will include images and the editions (it can be 1st to 7th print).  For example, Zap Comix #0 1st Print, Zap Comics #1 2nd Print, etc.

Most popular and high sought Underground Comix were printed from 1967 to 1982. If any books are beyond 1982, it's fine but they must be popular and high sought.

I only dabbled in this cool genre, grabbing the few that came my way.  A couple are too salacious to post here [C_nt Comics #1 (Apex Novelties, 1969) and Snatch Comics #1 (Apex Novelties, 1968 NO DATE)].  I also have these: 

Bogeyman Comics #1 (San Francisco, 1969)

2122681170_Bogeyman1(CGC8.0)-front.thumb.jpg.7872b11d3beb6df56cdf5008a824954e.jpg

Flaming Carrot #1 (Aadvark-Vanaheim, 1984)

1697174077_FlamingCarrot1(GCC9.8)-front.thumb.jpg.f289e1f72fbeda5141c9ab0e790cdaf7.jpg

Mr. Natural #1 (4th Printing) (San Francisco Comic Book Co., 1971)

915021188_Mr.Natural1(4thptg)(CGC9.4)-front.thumb.jpg.cfdcc32b0fb613fe2e36cda7f176e472.jpg

Edited by Pantodude
pix change

I can't imagine anything coming close to Crumb stuff in terms of lasting popularity, and probably Zap being the title most associated with him, even though it became a group title. I guess Zap #1 (1st) would be the most highly desired, the closest thing to an "Action #1" of undergrounds, in that other books preceded it, but none as influential. I wouldn't mind owning one, and have bid on a few, but admittedly the affordability of second and third prints, which are still pretty cool, may somewhat limit the quest for some collectors. I managed to amass a lot of undergrounds when they were cheap, mostly first prints, but haven't really felt that compelled to chase down first prints of those that I have a later print of, but that may be more out of laziness than anything else.

Respecting the request for images, even though I don't own one, here is a high grade copy coming up in a future Heritage auction.

zap #1.jpeg

Edited by rjpb

On 4/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, rjpb said:

I can't imagine anything coming close to Crumb stuff in terms of lasting popularity, and probably Zap being the title most associated with him, even though it became a group title. I guess Zap #1 (1st) would be the most highly desired, the closest thing to an "Action #1" of undergrounds, in that other books preceded it, but none as influential. I wouldn't mind owning one, and have bid on a few, but admittedly the affordability of second and third prints, which are still pretty cool, may somewhat limit the quest for some collectors. I managed to amass a lot of undergrounds when they were cheap, mostly first prints, but haven't really felt that compelled to chase down first prints of those that I have a later print of, but that may be more out of laziness than anything else.

Respecting the request for images, even though I don't own one, here is a high grade copy coming up in a future Heritage auction.

zap #1.jpeg

Pretty ridiculous that CGC doesn't list the printing on the label. 

On 4/28/2022 at 6:00 AM, october said:

Pretty ridiculous that CGC doesn't list the printing on the label. 

Yeah, but anyone interested knows what Plymell edition means. plus its the only one with a 25 cent cover price. 

On 4/28/2022 at 7:54 AM, shadroch said:

The only undergrounds I'm ever asked about are the Freak Brothers, and even then it is often about Fat Freddy and his cat. 

Was there an uptick of interest when the TV show came out? Unfortunately it's not very good, but I figure it probably more thoroughly introduced a lot of people to the characters that they may have vaguely heard about before.