• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

superman adventures 1 help!
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Cannot find any info on this book. heres my research so far, however inside the book it says same date nov 1996

CGC Census - has three variants 1) regular not sure if thats only direct , 2) preview copy 3) trade

comicrealm, mycomicshop, key collector does not help they only show direct edition.

Does anyone know why does one has a logo in upd area? if so where did it come from. 

superman back.jpg

superman front.jpg

On 4/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, stevemon said:

Cannot find any info on this book. heres my research so far, however inside the book it says same date nov 1996

CGC Census - has three variants 1) regular not sure if thats only direct , 2) preview copy 3) trade

comicrealm, mycomicshop, key collector does not help they only show direct edition.

Does anyone know why does one has a logo in upd area? if so where did it come from. 

superman back.jpg

superman front.jpg

@onlyweaknesskryptonite @Iconic1s

On 4/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, Iconic1s said:

Beats me (shrug)

Sorry!

The only thing I could think w as maybe a DVD comic combo, but I'll admit I was flaberghasted too.

I figure someone may be more familiar,  guess I can wait too. :)

Last year, I might not have thought twice on the logos haha

On 4/27/2022 at 7:24 PM, stevemon said:

superman back.jpg

superman front.jpg

Pretty sure this is the 1) that you mention if this helps.

774162D6-33DD-4AD3-B38D-127BB60BFC16.thumb.jpeg.72f5a7baba0bc6c69a8f2ec43ef1bcb7.jpeg

2912EDFD-498C-4216-B2B4-E3EA8D725A28.thumb.jpeg.0c1c2d05a2ab637d72000e63d750caf6.jpeg

On 4/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The only thing I could think w as maybe a DVD comic combo, but I'll admit I was flaberghasted too.

I figure someone may be more familiar,  guess I can wait too. :)

Last year, I might not have thought twice on the logos haha

think dvds released 1996 and this book dropped 96, could be thats  good lead. yeah those small variants be making a different just started checking my books after i found my carmen sandiego has the dc universe logo. but im stumped on this superman one. cannot find a shingle one like it

On 4/27/2022 at 8:07 PM, stevemon said:

think dvds released 1996 and this book dropped 96, could be thats  good lead. yeah those small variants be making a different just started checking my books after i found my carmen sandiego has the dc universe logo. but im stumped on this superman one. cannot find a shingle one like it

You might also check a comic cassette combo if it was 1996.

There used to be cassette tapes that would be released with comics, for interactive purposes I guess.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, Iconic1s said:

Pretty sure this is the 1) that you mention if this helps.

774162D6-33DD-4AD3-B38D-127BB60BFC16.thumb.jpeg.72f5a7baba0bc6c69a8f2ec43ef1bcb7.jpeg

2912EDFD-498C-4216-B2B4-E3EA8D725A28.thumb.jpeg.0c1c2d05a2ab637d72000e63d750caf6.jpeg

the upc on the one you attached is direct. the one i have has a superman logo which i cant find any where

I am not 100% but I do believe this came in a toys r us pack. Just before the DC Universe Logo books they had direct editions that used different logos ( Bullet Logo, Zero Hour Logo, WB Reading Logo , Bat Symbol. ) at the tail end of the multi packs 

I believe they more than likely had this as one of those pack fillers. Originally they started with the 2 packs , 20 packs, and character packs. Later were 16 packs and 10 packs as well as some 2 packs. IMO this would have probably been found in either the 2 packs or maybe one of the 10 packs.

@Cpt Kirk

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 4/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, stevemon said:

the upc on the one you attached is direct. the one i have has a superman logo which i cant find any where

Yep, noticed that.  You also referred to three different ones in the census.  Was trying to show you one of those for reference in case you hadn’t seen any of the others that you mentioned.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am not 100% but I do believe this came in a toys r us pack. Just before the DC Universe Logo books they had direct editions that used different logos ( Bullet Logo, Zero Hour Logo, WB Reading Logo , Bat Symbol. ) at the tail end of the multi packs 

I believe they more than likely had this as one of those pack fillers. Originally they started with the 2 packs , 20 packs, and character packs. Later were 16 packs and 10 packs as well as some 2 packs. IMO this would have probably been found in either the 2 packs or maybe one of the 10 packs.

@Cpt Kirk

ill have to look into the contents in all the packs that was released but thats a great lead. dont know where to find that info but it gives me a great start. think this is very plausible. makes the most sense. things  a ghost online. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:08 PM, stevemon said:

ill have to look into the contents in all the packs that was released but thats a great lead. dont know where to find that info but it gives me a great start. think this is very plausible. makes the most sense. things  a ghost online. 

A several of the multi pack books are ghosts . Some with only a few copies so far known to exist.  There isn't any full resource that shows all of the packs and even less that show the contents. Most of the DC Universe Logo packs have been discussed in the thread for those, but when it comes to some of the packs that preceded and later packs information is even harder to come by. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:14 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

A several of the multi pack books are ghosts . Some with only a few copies so far known to exist.  There isn't any full resource that shows all of the packs and even less that show the contents. Most of the DC Universe Logo packs have been discussed in the thread for those, but when it comes to some of the packs that preceded and later packs information is even harder to come by. 

will be checking the dc universe logo thread see if it helps. but thank you a lot for your expertise. ima lean towards this was in a pack. now which pack is the question. wish there was a record for these type of things some where. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:58 PM, stevemon said:

will be checking the dc universe logo thread see if it helps. but thank you a lot for your expertise. ima lean towards this was in a pack. now which pack is the question. wish there was a record for these type of things some where. 

DM’ed you also but for everyone’s awareness, this just popped up on eBay.  Different book but same logo and it says ‘original owner’.  Maybe this guy remembers where he got it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125284681884?hash=item1d2b8c889c:g:OJwAAOSwkMhiafw9

DFB4C83B-ACAA-4442-9781-B19710E82EB2.thumb.jpeg.6532e698d114f33722c2c13b91950deb.jpeg

I assume these are the Superman equivalents of the pre-DCU books with the Bat logo. That is to say, distributed in poorly documented multi-packs. Of course, I also know what happens when I assume...

For the record, there's at least one more version of Superman Adventures 1, the Doritos promotional reprint, but it has entirely different cover art. Just noting for purposes of completion here.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:42 AM, Iconic1s said:

DM’ed you also but for everyone’s awareness, this just popped up on eBay.  Different book but same logo and it says ‘original owner’.  Maybe this guy remembers where he got it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125284681884?hash=item1d2b8c889c:g:OJwAAOSwkMhiafw9

DFB4C83B-ACAA-4442-9781-B19710E82EB2.thumb.jpeg.6532e698d114f33722c2c13b91950deb.jpeg

While this may have the same Logo in the box. This is not the same . The adventures of superman 457 only has two versions.  Newsstand and direct . Which the direct has that Logo. There is not a 3rd version.  

This is similar to the way some of the Bat Symbol was originally used in the later 80's books, but then is used again for the multi pack books which actually have 3 versions  (Newsstand, Direct, Bat Symbol ) 

That is what led me to believe that the book the OP posted was from these packs. What I find interesting about this is that his is from 1996 which is more towards the end of the multi packs , where most of the others (zero hour , bat symbol ) are near the beginning or prior to the DC Universe Logo books. 

Another example of this Logo being used as a Direct during the same time that the DC Universe Logos were made was on the Superman Wedding Album. 

20220202_164920.thumb.jpg.678873b9f48b4267c2cfd45b242a103a.jpg

Again there are 3 versions of this book Newsstand,  DC Universe Logo, and Direct, but the regular direct is this Superman Logo. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 4/28/2022 at 7:48 AM, Qalyar said:

I assume these are the Superman equivalents of the pre-DCU books with the Bat logo. That is to say, distributed in poorly documented multi-packs. Of course, I also know what happens when I assume...

For the record, there's at least one more version of Superman Adventures 1, the Doritos promotional reprint, but it has entirely different cover art. Just noting for purposes of completion here.

Originally that was my thought, however this one is just a little different, in that is wasn't pre DCU. By late 1996 the DCU were tapering off and there really were not many printed after.( that have been found)  which is one of the things that makes this one a little interesting.  

Although I do agree the most plausible explanation for how this came to be distributed was more than likely the same process of multi packs.  

On 4/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Originally that was my thought, however this one is just a little different, in that is wasn't pre DCU. By late 1996 the DCU were tapering off and there really were not many printed after.( that have been found)  which is one of the things that makes this one a little interesting.  

Although I do agree the most plausible explanation for how this came to be distributed was more than likely the same process of multi packs.  

it is odd, if the last known multi pack was in 12/96 then this would fit in that time line supporting the multipack origin a bit but then if this was a multi pack it would eve had the dc universe logo right? is there any other superman logo books in multi packs? where all the variants in 96' dc universe or was it mixed in with other symbols like the early bat logo. 

On 4/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, stevemon said:

it is odd, if the last known multi pack was in 12/96 then this would fit in that time line supporting the multipack origin a bit but then if this was a multi pack it would eve had the dc universe logo right? is there any other superman logo books in multi packs? where all the variants in 96' dc universe or was it mixed in with other symbols like the early bat logo. 

Some of the packs did have a mix. Where they have been known to have DC Universe Logo  , Bat Symbol, direct edition books. There have been 2 packs that have a mix as well. Which is why I suspect this came from a pack. So far I have seen some of the superman symbols on books that came from these packs, however those were just direct editions like the aforementioned Superman Wedding Album.