• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you value Signed Modern Books?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a collection which included a lot of signed modern books. Im not so familiar with the newer artists. Is there a rule of thumb on how much value is added to a signed book?

Obviously it would depend on the artist as well.

Here are just a hand full of names Ive come across..

Amy Chu, William Tucci, Steve Niles, Brent Peebles, Collen Bunn, and many more

Any advice is appreciated

Are they raw or SS books?

Unfortunately you probably won't get much for signed raws.  I've bought quite a few of them for $5 to $10 each, from people I trust weren't scamming.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, s-man said:

Unfortunately you probably won't get much for signed raws.  I've bought quite a few of them for $5 to $10 each, from people I trust weren't scamming.

Yes based on my little research so far that seems to be the going rate. Unless I come across a Jim Lee, McFarlane, etc.

When I was collecting floppies for the Death of Superman, I could either have a Superman #75 for $1, or a signed copy for $5. I bought the latter, because why not?

Is there a rule of thumb? No. Legibility, placement, etc all matter. I will pay at least $5 more if a signature looks nice and legitimate, though.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:52 AM, s-man said:

think it depends on whos signature it is. I very recently sold a raw copper age cheap iron man signed by stan lee for a very good price.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:36 AM, cigars&comix said:

Yes based on my little research so far that seems to be the going rate. Unless I come across a Jim Lee, McFarlane, etc.

Signed raws can be a tougher sell. Depends on the artist though. If it is a "classic" artist, yeah those will still sell as certain signatures can be pretty easily identified and lots of people desire those. Would still be cheaper than a signature series book signed by the same artist (unless its a super rare signature like Frazetta or Cole).

With modern artists, I would think the ones you listed MIGHT bump up the value $5-10 tops, depending on the book signed. But certainly not much more than that if I had to assign a number to it. I mean, if reselling, start higher. If you feel the signature adds $50-100 to a book, try to sell for that. If you don't get interest, well that tells you that you are priced high OR that it is not that desirable. Or both....and with regards to price you can just lower until you do get interest.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, Ryan. said:

The LCS' near me all have piles of raw signed non-keys for $5 each.

Yes... that's about as much as I put on them in the shop.  And a lot of times, if it's not a major artist (or title) I'll still just toss it into the $1 bin.  I think people like "discovering" them there, and it's good for promoting the section.  (I know a lot of people worry about authenticity, but trust me, no one is out there buying up metallic-ink pens and forging obscure artists signatures on non-key books).

I would think the value of the unsigned book plus the cost of a signature of the artist. Problem is now every second rate artist charges for an autograph. Many have very little interest or longevity. When you add the cost of grading you are probably losing a lot of money.

If you love the book and the artist, just get it signed in person if possible, slip it into a nice Mylar and enjoy it. Value be dammed…

I have many from the '90s which I obtained myself at many cons, but without any proof. I've been selling some of them occasionally, things like Mark Bagley on ASMs and Peter David on Hulks for $8-10 a pop. 

Funny, at the time, I was a teenager so excited to meet these guys and get as many signatures as possible from them. I lugged around duffel bags full of comics at cons to get signed. 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:48 AM, Heavyheavyheavy said:

And the autographs were free (thumbsu

20220429_104143.thumb.jpg.6b6a13f2c5f33af96a731e6fecd2af35.jpg

Man that takes me back. I set up at a half dozen of Steve’s shows in 2002-2004.

It gets a bit more difficult to estimate the value of sigs when a store has a creator do a limited edition signing, with certificate for each individually signed/numbered book.  I recall Lee's did that for a while, and so did New Dimension Comics, to name but a few.

I picked up some nice Thor TPB's from New Dimension, individually signed and limited certs, with an original head sketch of Thor or Beta Ray Bill (thumbsu