• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Up charge
4 4

45 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, reptilekingdie said:

I don’t no if this has been brought up but I just got up charged by CGC because of a book of mine got 9.8. So now CGC is waiting for books to get graded. This makes no sense and that is why I don’t as much. (You don't WHAT as much?) Blackstone is there slave master and want there money back with these BS up charges

This thread is not worthless.  It could serve as a spelling and grammar lesson for third grade students - how NOT to write competently.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, reptilekingdie said:

I don’t no if this has been brought up but I just got up charged by CGC because of a book of mine got 9.8. So now CGC is waiting for books to get graded. This makes no sense and that is why I don’t as much. Blackstone is there slave master and want there money back with these BS up charges. 

CGC always increases the charges if you do not submit properly. For example, if you try to submit an expensive high grade book in a lower tier and it gets the high grade, you can be charged the proper tier level. It is the risk you run submitting books like this. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 4/29/2022 at 8:27 AM, comicginger1789 said:

CGC always increases the charges if you do not submit properly. For example, if you try to submit an expensive high grade book in a lower tier and it gets the high grade, you can be charged the proper tier level. It is the risk you run submitting books like this. 

It's called a bump.  Few times, the accounting department called me then I accepted the additional costs.  Now, they don't call everyone anymore but the customer service is doing that ever since.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

While we’re on the topic of these upcharges...

How is it not a complete conflict of interest for there to be a direct correlation between grading fees & the value of the book being submitted????

Such as it is now.  Such as it has ever been.

Back in the old days, when CGC was a small company, they'd give you a call when letting you know that one or more of your comics had graded higher and so outside the tier in which you submitted it, and so you owed them a bit more money.  It was a great call to receive. :cloud9:

Edited by namisgr

On 4/30/2022 at 12:41 AM, reptilekingdie said:

I had submitted 2 copies of sandman 1, one came back a 9.2 and the other I thought 9.6 maybe a 9.8 but for them to charge 2 months later, I call BS. But to add 94 to what I had already paid. Just needed to vent. 

While I can understand the frustration and need to vent sometimes.  Even when you look back 2 months Sandman #1 in CGC 9.8 was still over $1,000 book. 

20220430_005333.thumb.jpg.54f024e41e5b4ad637cf1cb990bcddfb.jpg

Still well worth the extra $94. Congratulations! 

PS. If you still really hate it I would be more than happy to give you the $94 + the other grading/shipping fees for that book! 

Usually this type of thing does not disturb me too much because it may be someone trying to sneak a $1000 comic in as a $400 or under.  But even during the time CGC has a comic in their possession (very, very, very long time), the value could skyrocket.  Like if you had just submitted a raw 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man 210 before the run-up began to be pressed and graded.  Goes in at a few hundred, comes out at 2 Grand.  You did it legit, shouldn't be your fault CGC is tortoise-like.  So you pay a premium penalty fee for ridiculously slow service.  That's UN-American, and I protest.

In the case of these 2 Sandman 1 comics, even a 9.6 is safe at a DV of $400.  How are we supposed to know which comics are going to end up on the North side of 9.6?  If we knew the grades, we wouldn't be sending them in!  That's what we are paying for.  Since it's always a coin flip between 9.6 and 9.8, varies with the grader, the weather, the mood of the day, etc., you would think in this case the submitter would get the benefit of the doubt.  Like a 2 or 3 grade level leeway, not just a single grade off, a $600-$700 difference single grade off.  There was only a slim chance for this particular outcome.

Say you submit a Silver Age as a projected 4.0 at $400 and it comes back a 7.5 worth $1800.  Yeah, that's more than a bit off, probably was apparent to even the amateur collector that it was better than a 4.0, upcharge it.

And I would like to know how CGC arrived at a $94 difference.  I don't even see any tier rate differences that equate to that, unless they changed the shipping amount, too.  What's up with that?

On 4/29/2022 at 11:45 PM, Lightning55 said:

How are we supposed to know which comics are going to end up on the North side of 9.6?  If we knew the grades, we wouldn't be sending them in!  That's what we are paying for. 

^^

EXACTLY RIGHT, as their submission system makes absolutely no sense at all since it's based upon the submittors determining the vlaue tiers to submit when we don't yet know either the grade of the book or if it's been restored which would kill the value of the book being submitted.  :screwy:  

And the problem is only getting worse. Sent a GSX 1 in a few month's back express tier. It got upcharged to Walkthru. The book came back a 6.0, and last sale at the time was $3300. Really, I mean REALLY? I am expected to grade GSX 1'ns now down to the .5? As a dealer, we do a high volume of submissions, it's hard to keep up on values, and pre-screen books condition. Not to mention the upcharge is always more than the 15% we get paid to facilitate.

This feels like the comic cartoon where someone is hanging upside-down to drain all the pocket change, seriously.

Everytime I try to talk to accounting about it, I get crickets, yet they have their hand out every week for the 3k plus we do, mostly walkthru, express and standard. We have almost disqualified anything for economy, and as a dealer, will no long offer Economy it to our clients, being a middle man for 10 months isn't worth it.

Oh, and the latest, a Star wars 1 subbed back in Sept got kicked from Economy to Walkthru. Haven't seen the grade, but it would have to be 9.8, of which I doubt. Okay, so the book has gone back up, but when was that? LoL I haven't talked to the client in over 9 months, how am I suppose to get re-imbursed for this upcharge?

Meanwhile; while I am trying to straight these out, the subs sit in the vault even longer. Is it really going to be 10 months, and walkthru fees to boot? And bookkeeping nightmares?

Drop The Mic GIFs | Tenor

On 8/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, Hero Restoration said:

And the problem is only getting worse. Sent a GSX 1 in a few month's back express tier. It got upcharged to Walkthru. The book came back a 6.0, and last sale at the time was $3300. Really, I mean REALLY? I am expected to grade GSX 1'ns now down to the .5? As a dealer, we do a high volume of submissions, it's hard to keep up on values, and pre-screen books condition. Not to mention the upcharge is always more than the 15% we get paid to facilitate.

This feels like the comic cartoon where someone is hanging upside-down to drain all the pocket change, seriously.

Everytime I try to talk to accounting about it, I get crickets, yet they have their hand out every week for the 3k plus we do, mostly walkthru, express and standard. We have almost disqualified anything for economy, and as a dealer, will no long offer Economy it to our clients, being a middle man for 10 months isn't worth it.

Oh, and the latest, a Star wars 1 subbed back in Sept got kicked from Economy to Walkthru. Haven't seen the grade, but it would have to be 9.8, of which I doubt. Okay, so the book has gone back up, but when was that? LoL I haven't talked to the client in over 9 months, how am I suppose to get re-imbursed for this upcharge?

Meanwhile; while I am trying to straight these out, the subs sit in the vault even longer. Is it really going to be 10 months, and walkthru fees to boot? And bookkeeping nightmares?

Drop The Mic GIFs | Tenor

This is what big business does, CGC, owned by the notorious you know how, is now B.B. Ebay, Paypal, the big conventions, etc., - they all in in biz to take as much as your money out of your pockets and put it in their pockets. Loyalty, and fairness do not exist with these corps.

Edited by Humpty-Dumpty
wordage