• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Captain Carter see a price bump?

32 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, Dimebag_D said:

Spoilers 

Hide contents

Based on recent Doctor Strange 2 trailers and captain carters appearance, will captain Carter #1 one shot see an increase in price?

Maybe but I think it depends on what role she plays in the movie.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall a conversation after the first Cap Movie in which it was determined that Peggy Carter's first cover appearance was Captain America 232.

It lacks the high population #'s speculators and flippers require therefore it may not get a whole lotta love.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
Captain America 232 (4/79, Marvel Comics)
            Grand Director & Doctor Faustus appearance. Letter from Kurt Busiek.
Universal 72 9.54     39 20 4 3 1 1 2   2                          

Captain_America_232.thumb.jpg.e61eb599495181a6445aad8aa9d3e4d4.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, Dimebag_D said:

That Exiles cover is really SWEET, I’m gonna put my money on that one.

Why not tales of suspense#77 1st appearance of Peggy Carter, way undervalued imo.

I do own a copy I picked up about 2019 after the conclusion of the infinity thanos movie (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/28/2022 at 9:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Why not tales of suspense#77 1st appearance of Peggy Carter, way undervalued imo.

I do own a copy I picked up about 2019 after the conclusion of the infinity thanks movie (thumbsu

Of course this is the modern section. :shy:

If she appears, sure that issue will get a bump at some point. Maybe it is a $10-20 bump, maybe it is a $50-100 bump.

Regardless of what kind of bump it gets, it is NOT a book I would speculate or try to find with hopes of selling at the perfect time. Unless you are experienced in doing so, being able to time it so you sell a book at that perfect moment when the value peaks (traditionally when a trailer drops is the largest bump, if one is to be had, followed by the weekend of the film). The market is also getting smarter, so while most recently with the new Thor trailer you saw some record sales of that issue with Jane Foster as Thor on the cover. However the window for those high sales seemed smaller than ever because almost immediately, the market was flooded as people raced to list theirs and now I would argue, the peak for that book is past. Could it jump to new heights again at the time of the film? Maybe but I think those who REALLY wanted it because they love the character probably already have it.

That leaves the "I am going to buy this to sell for more" crowd left out there and well, if that is the only market, there will be no market for a book like this. Or at least a very small market. And again, it is also possible that this movie is amazing and new waves of fans fall in love and desire the book so it may have staying power....BUT I always harken back to the character in comics. Are they loved? Do they have a large following? Call me not in touch with the market but I don't think the Jane Foster as Thor fans are a large group and THAT would make me wary of wanting to try to speculate long term (or at all) on this book in particular.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:01 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Well the 1:25 is on fire. I sold mine a week too early lol

Still made a nice profit, but nothing like the prices in the last 24 hours 

The prices on the 1:25 are insane.

I guess I will keep mine. (shrug)

On 4/29/2022 at 10:42 AM, Crops068 said:

The prices on the 1:25 are insane.

I guess I will keep mine. (shrug)

Yeah, I got busy with work and travel this month and knew I should have pulled it as the trailers leaked out. Oh well. I made money, and someone else will make money. Win Win

On 4/28/2022 at 8:13 PM, MAR1979 said:

I may be wrong but I seem to recall a conversation after the first Cap Movie in which it was determined that Peggy Carter's first cover appearance was Captain America 232.

It lacks the high population #'s speculators and flippers require therefore it may not get a whole lotta love.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
Captain America 232 (4/79, Marvel Comics)
            Grand Director & Doctor Faustus appearance. Letter from Kurt Busiek.
Universal 72 9.54     39 20 4 3 1 1 2   2                          

Captain_America_232.thumb.jpg.e61eb599495181a6445aad8aa9d3e4d4.jpg

I am surprised that no one claimed my book that I recently had my Cap sale thread.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, JollyComics said:

Cap 232.  1st Peggy Carter on the cover.

Oh sweet!  Yeah someone slept on that if nobody claimed.  But then everyone is all about the Captain Carter version more than just plain old Peggy.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:23 PM, Crops068 said:

Oh sweet!  Yeah someone slept on that if nobody claimed.  But then everyone is all about the Captain Carter version more than just plain old Peggy.

Partly because population is low, flippers and speculators dont have any.to hawk  As a whole the current hobby is one that is manipulated.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/29/2022 at 7:03 AM, comicginger1789 said:

If she appears, sure that issue will get a bump at some point. Maybe it is a $10-20 bump, maybe it is a $50-100 bump.

Regardless of what kind of bump it gets, it is NOT a book I would speculate or try to find with hopes of selling at the perfect time. Unless you are experienced in doing so, being able to time it so you sell a book at that perfect moment when the value peaks (traditionally when a trailer drops is the largest bump, if one is to be had, followed by the weekend of the film). The market is also getting smarter, so while most recently with the new Thor trailer you saw some record sales of that issue with Jane Foster as Thor on the cover. However the window for those high sales seemed smaller than ever because almost immediately, the market was flooded as people raced to list theirs and now I would argue, the peak for that book is past. Could it jump to new heights again at the time of the film? Maybe but I think those who REALLY wanted it because they love the character probably already have it.

That leaves the "I am going to buy this to sell for more" crowd left out there and well, if that is the only market, there will be no market for a book like this. Or at least a very small market. And again, it is also possible that this movie is amazing and new waves of fans fall in love and desire the book so it may have staying power....BUT I always harken back to the character in comics. Are they loved? Do they have a large following? Call me not in touch with the market but I don't think the Jane Foster as Thor fans are a large group and THAT would make me wary of wanting to try to speculate long term (or at all) on this book in particular.

The time to speculate on any new book is with pre-orders at a discount. Upon release you sell enough to recover your costs + an acceptable profit, reinvest the original capital + profits into the next spec book, and then sell off the rest over time while holding some for max potential returns. It is a formula that works well if you have enough storage space to do it.