• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. Neal Adams
9 9

189 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 12:49 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

:cry:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/neal-adams-dead-batman-comics-artist-1235138106/

Talked with him every year at HeroesCon a bit during setup before the Pandemic. He was a hoot. Always made me laugh…“Crusty” indeed 🥰

My favorite Adams cover:

79E1EE8C-FC58-4C1D-8577-CDF90F1E7845.thumb.jpeg.d7ac411e39a5e0e0fbd2755dd381a6ad.jpeg

Thank you Neal. :cheers:

My favorite Adams cover too. Told him that at a show once and he looked at me funny, and said well it has good colors. 

On 4/29/2022 at 1:18 PM, SeniorSurfer said:

R.I.P. Mr. Adams and my condolences to his family.  I was lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and got the opportunity to tell him how much I enjoyed his work (something he might have heard a time or two).  I would remember my heart racing as I stood in front of this composer (for he was more than an artist) who's single panels were original, energetic and always in motion while ever so detailed in their pencil work.  When I was a kid, his was one of the first styles I could easily recognize and I would eagerly buy anything that had even a hint of his art.  

While I'll always have his work to enjoy and read over again, what I'm remembering now is only that he was always very friendly and generous with his time which, as I now reflect, is the most precious thing he gave me.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to meet him several times. Even though I was a full blown adult, I felt just like that kid who bought his books off the rack. I knew I was standing in front of a giant. Always that big smile, and a great laugh. I will miss that...

On 4/29/2022 at 1:32 PM, Beardown said:

In 2019 I was able to commission an original Joker and was lucky enough to get this photo of him putting the finishing touches on the piece.  R.I.P to a true legend.image.thumb.jpeg.1f4c04f48752f4a670df5b1294bdd9b0.jpeg

Great photo and such a treasured memory. He just looked and acted so much younger than I knew he was. Still hard to believe...

On 4/29/2022 at 1:32 PM, Beardown said:

In 2019 I was able to commission an original Joker and was lucky enough to get this photo of him putting the finishing touches on the piece.  R.I.P to a true legend.image.thumb.jpeg.1f4c04f48752f4a670df5b1294bdd9b0.jpeg

I never got an artist of his caliber to do a personal drawing. I'm curious what the cost of something like that was?

On 4/29/2022 at 4:35 PM, Roger66 said:

My favorite artist too.  I started collecting around 1978.  I remember early on thinking any comics drawn by Neal Adams were head & shoulders superior to other artists and I thus coveted anything drawn by him (with great exceptions to say Bernie Wrightson, Barry Smith, John Byrne, George Perez, Steranko ...).  He was a creative genius with an amazing eye for detail and action/drama and his takes on say Deadman, Green Arrow and of course Batman helped define my many hours of reading pleasure as a youth.   R.I.P to one of the greats. (worship)

I started in 1978 also and your list is just like mine!

As others have said, I can only echo....what a great artist. 

I suspect comic books would not be the force they are today without the talent and influence of artists of his calibre.

RIP Neal.