• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Spring Auction
1 1

93 posts in this topic

No page is the same as another, so one will always be better than the other.    However, looking at those two I certainly wouldn't expect a significant price spread.    You might disagree and that's fine but to me they check all the same boxes. 

The big drivers of value... "action" "costume" "hero" "villain" are present in both, and both are from the same issue as well. 

Edited by Bronty

On 6/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bronty said:

Ditko spidey is pretty regularly 100k now when you've got spidey in costume.   And this has great shots of kraven too.    Its really a very nice panel page and that's what they are starting to go for.    Splashes used to be 100k, but splashes are 300k now when available... 

There's only 1 panel featuring Kraven.  

There are multiple "long distance" panels i.e. no details - one of which has neither Kraven or Spidey; 2 panels that don't show Spidey's face including a prominent rump panel.  

No panels with Kraven and Spidey in the same panel in battle or otherwise.

A sub par page in my book but someone thought that it was worth $145,000.

Note that the panel of Spidey on the stair rail was the basis for the 1966 Aurora Spider-Man model.

Edited by pemart1966

Moon Knight prices were strong. Not just the Sienks stuff but other artists as well. Whether CL or other platforms it seems to be that Moon Knight material is still going strong from what I saw so if prices are going down that's one character that's been able to resist it to a certain extent at least. I did see some pieces though that I felt did go for a little low compared to what I saw as the quality of the work. 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, pemart1966 said:

There are multiple "long distance" panels i.e. no details - one of which has neither Kraven or Spidey; 2 panels that don't show Spidey's face including a prominent rump panel.  

Note that the panel of Spidey on the stair rail was the basis for the 1966 Aurora Spider-Man model.

In having this discussion and reading your notes, and looking closer at them, I agree the HA page is definitely better.   I just don't see a massive difference.   Is it 20% more valuable?  Yeah, probably, but its not 100% better IMO.    Also worth nothing the heritage sale was a year ago.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/9/2022 at 4:38 PM, Bronty said:

In having this discussion and reading your notes, and looking closer at them, I agree the HA page is definitely better.   I just don't see a massive difference.   Is it 20% more valuable?  Yeah, probably, but its not 100% better IMO.    Also worth nothing the heritage sale was a year ago.

I say this tongue in cheek, but it’s definitely time for you to see an optometrist  :foryou:

On 6/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I say this tongue in cheek, but it’s definitely time for you to see an optometrist  :foryou:

So let me ask you this.   What do you think the percentage price differences between those pages "should" be?

On 6/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, Bronty said:

So let me ask you this.   What do you think the percentage price differences between those pages "should" be?

On 6/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The one on HA is an epic battle sequence far more exciting than the clink page, with larger character images than the  link page.  Additionally, one of the panels is very similar to the cover.  Minimum 50% premium

:popcorn:

I suspect that the fact that Kraven will be in an upcoming movie might have had a fair bit to do with the quite frankly ridiculous price paid for the Link page.  

Money not withstanding, the HA page is 100% better than the Link page.  The Link page is just not appealing IMO.

Edited by pemart1966

On 6/9/2022 at 3:11 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Moon Knight prices were strong. Not just the Sienks stuff but other artists as well. Whether CL or other platforms it seems to be that Moon Knight material is still going strong from what I saw so if prices are going down that's one character that's been able to resist it to a certain extent at least. I did see some pieces though that I felt did go for a little low compared to what I saw as the quality of the work. 

Actually, the Moon Knight results were quite soft - especially the Colan Hulk #11 splash. That splash went just under $9,000, but the seller was asking for $15,000 just weeks before it went to auction.

I thought the Sienkiewicz pages sold low, too.

I was surprised that the Dazzler #3 splash sold higher than the Uncanny X-Men Romita Jr. pages, but, a Frank Springer Dazzler #16 panel page ended in this week's HA at $2,040, and that also kind of shocked me.

My take away is that the Moon Knight market is soft, while Dazzler art continues to sell high.

Did anyone think a Brent Anderson Uncanny X-Men page would sell for $6,500 or that a Batman Son of the Demon page would sell for $4,090, while a Brian Bolland Camelot 3000 page only sold for $3,900?

I thought the Byrne Wolverine #21 cover would hit $50,000, but it came far short of that at $29,000.

I still believe the Stan Lee autographs on the J. Scott Campbell art hurt the end results. I don't think it helped the Spider-Gwen hip-hop variant cover, either.

Dillin Justice League of America art seems to have cooled off and, I thought, the great pages offered would sell much higher.

Steve Ditko art sold well if it was Marvel, but the Charlton horror cover underperformed. That was cheaper than what I paid for a Ditko Charlton cover in 2001.

I'm not sure why a Rafael Grampa Batman splash would sell for $27,000, but, wow, it sure did. It's good art, but I didn't know he had such a following.

The two Alan Kupperberg Spectacular Spider-Man #127 pages were bargains. I figured black costume Spider-Man pages would sell for at least $2500 each or more.

I couldn't hardly believe the Back Issue #1 Batman vs. Captain America cover by George Perez sold for just $5,655. I thought it would reach at least $10,000 and possibly sell as high as $15,000. It's a good cover from Perez's later period, so I had regrets for not going for it.

I know nothing about Rob Prior art, but that Iron Man painting with Stan Lee under the helmet sold for the opening bid of $285,000, which is, in my opinion, CRAZY. But, I couldn't understand the cracked ASM #300 recreation selling so high in the spring HA, either.

I wanted that Green Lantern #48 page by Bill Willingham, but knew it would sell high (it went for $1409). It sure would have paired well with the cover I already own.

*As a side note, I do think there is too much great material coming to market and not enough dollars and that's going to cause a lot of art to sell cheaper than it should.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:30 AM, pemart1966 said:

My god, this is like watching "Dead Poets Society".

On 6/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, tth2 said:

More like "Revenge of the Nerds" :bigsmile:

On 6/9/2022 at 9:21 PM, Michael Browning said:

Dillin Justice League of America art seems to have cooled off and, I thought, the great pages offered would sell much higher.

Dillin has been cooling off for at least several months. My best guess is that newer collectors don’t share its nostalgic appeal with older collectors. Over the longer term, I don’t see likely growth for these (but in fairness, I don’t like the artwork style).

Actually, the Moon Knight results were quite soft - especially the Colan Hulk #11 splash. That splash went just under $9,000, but the seller was asking for $15,000 just weeks before it went to auction.

I thought the Sienkiewicz pages sold low, too.

I was surprised that the Dazzler #3 splash sold higher than the Uncanny X-Men Romita Jr. pages, but, a Frank Springer Dazzler #16 panel page ended in this week's HA at $2,040, and that also kind of shocked me.

My take away is that the Moon Knight market is soft, while Dazzler art continues to sell high.

Did anyone think a Brent Anderson Uncanny X-Men page would sell for $6,500 or that a Batman Son of the Demon page would sell for $4,090, while a Brian Bolland Camelot 3000 page only sold for $3,900?

I thought the Byrne Wolverine #21 cover would hit $50,000, but it came far short of that at $29,000.

I still believe the Stan Lee autographs on the J. Scott Campbell art hurt the end results. I don't think it helped the Spider-Gwen hip-hop variant cover, either.

Steve Ditko art sold well if it was Marvel, but the Charlton horror cover underperformed. That was cheaper than what I paid for a Ditko Charlton cover in 2001.

I'm not sure why a Rafael Grampa Batman splash would sell for $27,000, but, wow, it sure did. It's good art, but I didn't know he had such a following.

The two Alan Kupperberg Spectacular Spider-Man #127 pages were bargains. I figured black costume Spider-Man pages would sell for at least $2500 each or more.

I couldn't hardly believe the Back Issue #1 Batman vs. Captain America cover by George Perez sold for just $5,655. I thought it would reach at least $10,000 and possibly sell as high as $15,000. It's a good cover from Perez's later period, so I had regrets for not going for it.

I know nothing about Rob Prior art, but that Iron Man painting with Stan Lee under the helmet sold for the opening bid of $285,000, which is, in my opinion, CRAZY. But, I couldn't understand the cracked ASM #300 recreation selling so high in the spring HA, either.

I wanted that Green Lantern #48 page by Bill Willingham, but knew it would sell high (it went for $1409). It sure would have paired well with the cover I already own.

*As a side note, I do think there is too much great material coming to market and not enough dollars and that's going to cause a lot of art to sell cheaper than it should.

• I can't speak to softness in pricing for the Colan Hulk 11 splash, but $9K seems like a fairly strong price considering Colan is not an artist associated with the character.  Regarding the $15K asking price by the seller, well, folks can ask whatever they want.  Some prices are grounded in reality.  Others, not so much.
  • The Sienk Moon Knight pages did not sell low.  Based on prior sales results, I would say they went for fair prices in comparison to prior results for similar pages
  • Agreed the Anderson Xmen page went strong
  • Byrne Wolverine #21 cover - never thought it would touch $50K.  Maybe $35K at most
  • J.Scott Campbell covers were all over the map, and with only one or two exceptions, sellers lost money
  • Kupperberg Spec Spidey pages...agreed, they went low and were a good deal
  • Perez Back Issue #1 cover went very, very cheap.  Congrats to the new owner

Did anyone think a Brent Anderson Uncanny X-Men page would sell for $6,500 or...

On 6/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
  • Agreed the Anderson Xmen page went strong

X-Men 160 is a fill-in during the Cockrum 2nd run (145-164) before Smith took over; it's also a major story pivot for Illyana (though she's not on this page, so unlikely a large factor).

$6500 is perfectly acceptable and understandable to those specializing in this area, neither high nor low. I think it would be listed for $8k or more on any major dealer site.

This was an anomaly and somebody got a deal :) 

image.thumb.png.17761fb17f4cffd0695d74b6a7f870e0.png

On 6/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, tth2 said:

To your point, out of both pages, the panel that really resonates most with me is the kraven solo panel on the clink page.

Edited by Bronty

Ouch.    Not totally surprising, but ouch.

Edited by Bronty