• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams R.I.P
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I had emailed with him a while back about getting him to do a sketch for me.  I just wanted it because I have been such a fan of his for most all of my life.  He was always kind in replying to every email I ever sent him.

I met him in 2017 and had him sign several books for me, mostly the books I really associated with him - Batman 244, 251, Green Lantern 76 and 87.  Should have had him sign my GL 85 &86 too, but it just got pricey quick.

He will be missed.

PDG

On 4/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Soo sad! Must have been health complications of some kind, but never heard of any issues he had. Met him at many Cons over the years. Was always a sweet guy in any moment I talked to him.

R.I.P Neal

I just found out about an hour ago. Apparently, he had been battling Sepsis for the last several months.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, I am not Glenda said:

Just sucks, there was time in the 1970s when Neal was a true rock star, everything he did was mind blowing & really like nothing any of us had ever seen before. But lets not pretend he was always an amazing guy ( Neal didn't like BS). Neal had more talent in his little pinky then most of his peers and he knew it. I met Neal many times over the years and he could be an egotistical @ss sometimes ( a lot of times in those early days) Later on in life when he would see me we joked about it and he would whisper to me " But I am Neal F#cking Adams" I even have a Joker sketch he did for me for free with that on the back. His contribution as an artist and as an advocate for artists rights can not be understated. The comic industry lost a legend and the world is a little less bright. Rest in peace old boy and yes you will always be Neal f#ucking Adams to the generation of fans who grew up with you. 

Yeah I have a feeling most people don't know about his contribution to artists rights, Siegel and Shuster for one. He fought hard from what I read in their fight against DC and goes without saying he had a massive impact in that regard. There must be a good documentary out there somewhere showing that.

Edited by LDarkseid1

A few years ago my brother texted me a photo of a commission that Neal had done for a guy.  It was on the cover of a blank variant of either Action or Superman - Neal had done a sketch of Siegel and Schuster on the cover.  It was an absolutely amazing piece.

PDG

On 5/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I have a feeling most people don't know about his contribution to artists rights, Siegel and Shuster for one. He fought hard from what I read in their fight against DC and goes without saying he had a massive impact in that regard. There must be a good documentary out there somewhere showing that.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5730352/

Kirkman did something about Siegel and Shuster's battle, which included some film of Neal fronting the media, tells how when Jerry reached out basically Neal was the only one who thought, this injustice must be fixed. (the industry writes about heroes fighting for justice - well it was about time the creators did some fighting for justice too)

The rest of the series is pretty good to.