• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Tales to Astonish 101 - Rat Chew (?) Edition!
4 4

11 posts in this topic

Front cover isn't too bad -- top right corner, some spin ticks, small bend on right side, larger tear/bend on right side

Back cover is messing up my grading abilities: there's some ticks and minor tears, but then there's what I think is rat chew on the bottom middle; it goes through the book getting smaller and smaller from the back to just before the centrefold. Looks to me like either rat or insect chew, but I don't have a lot of examples of what that looks like exactly. 

image.thumb.png.a92f836845c50d6a8a66a296ae33d70f.png

image.thumb.png.8ae218ae952fabe7898c99c4b55b2dd4.png

The missing paper along the bottom edge is certainly significant.  But the defect that leaps out at me first (and something you didn't mention) is the moderate-to-heavy tanning.  I suspect the inside front/back covers (and maybe even the interior pages) will have a similar halo.  Even if the book was otherwise perfect, this degree of aging should limit the book to a maximum grade of 7.0 FN/VF or 7.5 VF-.  So take that as a starting point when accounting for the book's various structural defects.  :foryou:

On 4/29/2022 at 11:00 PM, zzutak said:

The missing paper along the bottom edge is certainly significant.  But the defect that leaps out at me first (and something you didn't mention) is the moderate-to-heavy tanning.  I suspect the inside front/back covers (and maybe even the interior pages) will have a similar halo.  Even if the book was otherwise perfect, this degree of aging should limit the book to a maximum grade of 7.0 FN/VF or 7.5 VF-.  So take that as a starting point when accounting for the book's various structural defects.  :foryou:

That is a *great* point about the tanning, I figured the chew would probably decimate the grade anyway so was mostly focused on that. I don't think this or the other books I posted tonight are high grade or worth much, this is more about my learning about grading defects beyond the standard ticks, tears bends and creases. hypothetically, if this book was a 9.8 otherwise, what would the chew do to the grade? 

I'm not going to offer a grade on this one.  However, here are some examples of "lightly used" books with rat chews may help you better understand how CGC treats this particular defect.  Just click on the thumbnail to enlarge.  :foryou:

952540258_UT38-40-Pet.thumb.jpg.f2a4439f56c2dfb7027e11147a9f52aa.jpg  654143025_Mystic42-45-Pet.thumb.jpg.2ab57217585ad1c859c936360d8ba86f.jpg

1489486297_UT32-55-Pet.thumb.jpg.f116848c6279bab58715a82de39fee81.jpg  765154853_UT33-55-Pet.thumb.jpg.38db1eb4102657374e93ef30c2e89eb4.jpg  202581517_UT37-70-Pet.thumb.jpg.a8553ccaf1be0c6ac1e4580702956777.jpg

So I'm going to guess that a rat chew especially one that goes through multiple pages like my example would immediately max a book out at 4.5/5.0, very helpful advice from the crew here. Mine is from the back not the front, but I think theoretically it shouldn't matter. I don't typically come across this in the books I look at (usually higher grade to begin with), this was an impulse buy (disclosed by the store owner and priced accordingly) and bought as a grading lesson (plus a fun read) along with some other books I bought for grading education. Thanks y'all!

I will say 4.0 to 4.5 as well … this doesn’t look like a rat chew to me. @zzutak was on the right track. What I noticed right off was the browning particularly around the edges. When it starts getting dark the paper doesn’t bend much at all - it breaks off.. I think someone caught the edge on a backing board or firm surface and the paper chipped off. Just a theory for what it’s worth. Rat chews look terrible, being all ragged you can see the teeth marks 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:18 AM, Februus said:

I will say 4.0 to 4.5 as well … this doesn’t look like a rat chew to me. @zzutak was on the right track. What I noticed right off was the browning particularly around the edges. When it starts getting dark the paper doesn’t bend much at all - it breaks off.. I think someone caught the edge on a backing board or firm surface and the paper chipped off. Just a theory for what it’s worth. Rat chews look terrible, being all ragged you can see the teeth marks 

So it not be rat chew but it's something that 'carved' through the back of the book in concentric "circles" getting smaller and smaller on each page for about the last 6 pages of the book plus cover. Could it be machine made? It looks too imperfect for that.  It's very strange to me (and the reason I bought it, ironically).