• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting things other than comic books, dilemma
3 3

36 posts in this topic

Vinyl, toys, audio equipment, movies, sneakers, video games…my life revolves around this stuff for my own enjoyment. The only hobby I’ve walked away from was sports cards. Every so often, I may sell off something to get another for something that “tickles my fancy” at the moment but I couldn’t see sacrificing one in favor of another. Interest in a variety of collectibles allows me to restrain me to what I can afford, adhering to the rule that my collection subsidizes my hobbies as a way to control my spending

Where would you draw the line? If you collect both ASM and Hulk will you start having looming thoughts of you would have a better ASM collection if you solely focused on that instead of splitting your focus on collecting both Spidey and Hulk?

I've been thinking about purchasing a turntable for quite some time. A few months ago, I ran into my college roommate. He said he still had all of my LPs that I left in the room after I moved out and offered to turn them over. I know one of them is Cheech & Chong's Big Bambu. And, no. The rolling paper is gone.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:15 PM, Poekaymon said:

I almost tagged you when I made the hoarding comment.

lol  I am far from a hoarder.  

@PeteFromPetesBasement told me the other day that he fears I am becoming a minimalist lol 

Far from that as well. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:07 AM, The lips said:

I presume I’m not the only one on here who collects things outside of comic books ?

for me, I’ve a long-standing love for vinyl and as I have with comics, I’ve spent a decent amount over the years. 

Now, and it’s only just hit me recently, is that if I only collected one, I’d have a much better and valuable collection than I would spreading over 2 hobbies. 
Everytime I’ve bought a 3 figure record it could have been a comic and vice versa. 

if I had to pick, comics are my favourite so now I’m thinking of selling the vinyl and spending the profits entirely on comics. 

anybody else collect multiple things and have this dilemma / and what would you do ? 

I collect Coins, currency, video games and comics.  Arguably, townhouses also.  I feel your pain. But this calendar year, I decided to focus on comics only. It’s going better than I could’ve hoped. By focusing, I think I found more deals and made better purchases I’ve been more in tune with what the market was doing. Maybe consider this approach?

oh, a word of advice. Never sell one kind of collectible to buy the other kind. Only buy comics with money obtained from selling comics or fresh funds from the bank. That way, when you see a comic increase in value that you used to own, you can’t kick yourself over it because you bought other comics that increased in value during the same time frame.

Edited by Westy Steve

On 5/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, JC25427N said:

Where would you draw the line? If you collect both ASM and Hulk will you start having looming thoughts of you would have a better ASM collection if you solely focused on that instead of splitting your focus on collecting both Spidey and Hulk?

Good point and I should have give more context. I now only really focus on ASM and completing my run of 1-375. I still pick up some moderns also. I sold off vast majority of other titles to help me hopefully complete. 
Naturally I’m a completist and as Spidey is my fave I’m happy solely working on this. 

I collect a few things. Playing cards, Magic cards, comics, (I don't collect firearms, but they're expensive), etc. Whatever has priority in which hobby is where my focus will lie at any given time. It's not easy, and it's not always great, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

On 5/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, JC25427N said:

If only my wife would stop buying clothes,  and food I could buy more stuff.🤔

On 5/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, Buzzetta said:

I might have bought a Lego set recently … just saying

Severely limiting all purchases though… 

You my friend border on obsessive, no?

Edited by oakman29
Like I'm any less obsessive. Hahahaha!🤐

On 5/1/2022 at 11:56 PM, The lips said:

Good point and I should have give more context. I now only really focus on ASM and completing my run of 1-375. I still pick up some moderns also. I sold off vast majority of other titles to help me hopefully complete. 
Naturally I’m a completist and as Spidey is my fave I’m happy solely working on this. 

Good for you focus is everything especially when you got a big run like Spider-Man

I collect comics and old pinback buttons first and foremost. But as many here have seen, I “accumulate” many other things in my travels looking for these. When I can’t find what I want and see a cool toy, advertising sign or something else I like at a great price, I buy it. I have never spent crazy money on most of it. I have no regrets and have really not lost out on comics or pins because of it.

For years, I collected vinyl as well. I wanted them for the music not the physical record. I got a digital turntable and recorded my music as wave files on my 160 gig IPod. Now, I have what I want in the palm of my hand with full analog quality. Been selling off the collectible vinyl and using the proceeds to fund my other collecting pursuits.

My collection had almost always been self funded. 

Edited by Robot Man