Rockets Blast hoard
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Hard to believe it has been over twenty years since G.B. Love passed away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I subscribed to RBCC in the late seventies long after it had lost it's ad mojo to the Buyer's Guide. I still enjoyed it and the slick covers by fan artists and the work by Don Rosa. I'd pick up a few earlier issues at conventions but never any as early as these. They are quite rare and a great window into early fandom.

I regret disposing of my early Buyer's Guides which I started getting in 1972 or so. Those issues were chock full of treasures. But giant piles of ads seemed pretty superfluous in the day since a new issue dropped every other week.

Wonderful pickup! Congratulations.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, Ameri said:

I'm pretty obsessed when it comes to the old fanzines. I love looking at the old ads and the fan art covers. Comic Book Marketplace will always be my favorite series for articles on comic history.  Here's a bunch

What, no Wizard? :baiting:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, Ameri said:

I'm pretty obsessed when it comes to the old fanzines. I love looking at the old ads and the fan art covers. Comic Book Marketplace will always be my favorite series for articles on comic history.  Here's a bunch 

MAGAZINE Comic Alter Ego camera1.jpg

MAGAZINE Comic Book Marketplace camera1.JPG

MAGAZINE Comic Fanzines RBCC camera1.JPG

MAGAZINE Comic Fanzines RBCC camera2.jpg

MAGAZINE comic fanzines RBCC camera3.jpg

MAGAZINE comic fanzines RBCC camera4.jpg

MAGAZINE comic fanzines RBCC camera5.jpg

MAGAZINE Comic Source camera1.JPG

MAGAZINE comic The Comic Reader 1977-1978 camera.jpg

MAGAZINE comics buyer's guide camera0.jpg

MAGAZINE Comics Buyer's Guide camera1.jpg

MAGAZINE Comics Buyer's Guide camera2.jpg

Very cool historical items. I can’t imagine collecting them though. I barely have enough room for my comics.,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, tth2 said:

What, no Wizard? :baiting:

Actually, I used to pick up Wizard all the time in the 1990s but it was always recent news so I stopped buying it. I only kept their 100 Greatest Comics Special and their "Dark Book" which was a nice guide to the greatest villains. Hero Magazine did a 100 greatest comics special and that was pretty decent as well. 

MAGAZINE comic fanzines3 camera.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great thread and pics of your collection!

I started collecting a bit after you, in the late 1970s, but I was instantly picking up Comics Journals and Comic Readers as soon as I discovered comic stores.  (I was into Star Wars when it first came out, and first learned about a publication aimed at fans when I bought Starlog 1 off the stands, but comic fanzines were a step down in quality and a step up in passion!)  In the 80s, I started reading Amazing Heroes and NEMO, and occasionally buying weird little "investment" oriented zines like Future Gold and a monthly market report publication.  And, of course, I got a subscription to CBG.  Had a long run stacked up in a closet at my parents house.  Tossed the CBGs in the 2000s because I'd stop actively collecting ten years earlier.  Ouch.  At least I saved all the promo posters etc. that they used to have in those as inserts.  Really regret tossing those when I read a thread like this.

What got me back interested in GA was undoubtedly CBM.  Started buying those from local comic shops I'd wander into.  Also bought some Alter Egos.  I'm still buying the CBM back issues I'm missing from my run, which is mostly complete.  For me, CBM was the best overall publication for comic history ever produced.  But CBG's ads were undoubtedly the best in my time.   Thanks for bringing back some memories ... and regret about that decade of CBGs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 8:08 PM, Ameri said:
On 5/3/2022 at 10:06 PM, tth2 said:

What, no Wizard? :baiting:

Actually, I used to pick up Wizard all the time in the 1990s but it was always recent news constant hype so I stopped buying it.

FTFY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, sfcityduck said:

Great thread and pics of your collection!

I started collecting a bit after you, in the late 1970s, but I was instantly picking up Comics Journals and Comic Readers as soon as I discovered comic stores.  (I was into Star Wars when it first came out, and first learned about a publication aimed at fans when I bought Starlog 1 off the stands, but comic fanzines were a step down in quality and a step up in passion!)  In the 80s, I started reading Amazing Heroes and NEMO, and occasionally buying weird little "investment" oriented zines like Future Gold and a monthly market report publication.  And, of course, I got a subscription to CBG.  Had a long run stacked up in a closet at my parents house.  Tossed the CBGs in the 2000s because I'd stop actively collecting ten years earlier.  Ouch.  At least I saved all the promo posters etc. that they used to have in those as inserts.  Really regret tossing those when I read a thread like this.

What got me back interested in GA was undoubtedly CBM.  Started buying those from local comic shops I'd wander into.  Also bought some Alter Egos.  I'm still buying the CBM back issues I'm missing from my run, which is mostly complete.  For me, CBM was the best overall publication for comic history ever produced.  But CBG's ads were undoubtedly the best in my time.   Thanks for bringing back some memories ... and regret about that decade of CBGs.

I have a complete set of CBMs. I remember buying all of the early ones from Al Stoltz. 
 

We also got CBG in England but they were nearly always too late to snag any deals, and were infrequently distributed. Still have good memories of ordering stuff that was impossible to find over here.

Edited by goldust40
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 8:01 AM, goldust40 said:

I have a complete set of CBMs. I remember buying all of the early ones from Al Stoltz. 
 

We also got CBG in England but they were nearly always too late to snag any deals, and were infrequently distributed. Still have good memories of ordering stuff that was impossible to find over here.

Heck, I lived in the US and subscribed. On the West Coast. By the time it got to me me, the deals were long gone.

But I was able to converse with collectors all over the country I wouldn’t be able to otherwise.

I made a lot of connections and from time to time got chances at books before they hit the Buyer’s Guide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1