• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New just need some info and guidance

15 posts in this topic

Hi I was recently left a pretty big comic collection by my great uncle that was very serious about his comics I have no idea for them so I'm just going to sell them but don't know the best way to do it so I joined this forum for some help maybe 

IMG_20220501_213938433.jpg

IMG_20220501_214002128.jpg

1. Put them in bags and boards

2.  Make a list of comics

3.  The easiest would be to sell in one big lot in an eBay auction.  Post the list and some pictures, you don’t have to learn anything.  This process probably doesn’t maximize pure profit, but saves a ton of time  and effort.

If you post more specifics about your situation you’ll get better advice

If you're not interested in doing your own leg work, you may want to visit a few comic shops to see what they would offer for the lot. Keep in mind that you will not get 100% of what they're worth, as the person buying the collection has to put time and resources into doing the work themselves.

where are you located? I buy (I am in NJ) as do others here.

The ends of the spectrum of choices you have are...sell them all at once for lower price or sell them all yourself for maximum profit. It is hard to sell comics if you so not know comics though. Start by being careful when you handle them, Tomb of Dracula has two very expensive issues #1 and #10 and tearing them of even folding them will lessen value. Werewolf By Night 32 may even pay the mortgage for the month. Be careful with dem comics!

It is overwhelming but you are in no hurry. Take a deep breath and wait a few days and then dive in again. There is no hurry, don't rush and damage the comics or stress yourself out.

Edited by Bird

On 5/2/2022 at 1:47 AM, 5304030669 said:

I have so many of them it's very very overwhelming

Take a deep breath - when you feel overwhelmed, take a break from thinking about it.  You're in an enviable position, one in which a lot of posters here would love to find themselves.

Also remember, there's no pressure, no rush to do anything right away.  If it matters in your life, you probably have something valuable so you should definitely not make any hasty decisions that you may later regret like just dumping the books for whatever you can get.  No reason to quickly take hundreds when a little time and work might bring thousands.

Lots of posters on here willing to provide solid guidance.

Thank you all for your advice! I've been overwhelmed by these for a month now !! It seems people want to help me and so I let a person so called helpme and he stole some of my comic books so I guess no need to get help if that's the hell I get anyways I will take deep breaths and relax it's been 2 mons since my uncle passed and left me these I haven't got anywhere so I'm to the point of just being done with them to much stress lol

On 5/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, 5304030669 said:

Thank you all for your advice! I've been overwhelmed by these for a month now !! It seems people want to help me and so I let a person so called helpme and he stole some of my comic books so I guess no need to get help if that's the hell I get anyways I will take deep breaths and relax it's been 2 mons since my uncle passed and left me these I haven't got anywhere so I'm to the point of just being done with them to much stress lol

everyone's situation is different, and they move at different speeds with different levels of involvement.

If your goal is maximum profit above all else (nothing wrong with that), you will have to take the time to know what comics you have, what their grades, what their prices are, and how and where to sell to maximize your profits.  And you'll likely have to sell comics individually.  Which of course can take a ton of time.  

On the opposite side of that, you could drive the comics to your local comic shop, where they will probably offer somewhere between 5-25% of the value of the comics, and you walk out that day with cash in hand and no more stress.  Might take 15 minutes of your time total.  And since you don't know comics anyways, you don't know how much you lost out on. 

Now of course the prospect of missing out on hundreds or thousands of dollars doesn't seem appetizing in general, BUT if you consider how much TIME you'd have to put in to learn everything and sell everything to maximize value (plus the stress), then well how much is your time really worth?  Are you willing to put in 100-500 hours of time dealing with all of this? How much can you expect to get paid in the end?  How much would you expect to get paid per hour to something you have literally no experience or interest in?

There are of course, some middle alternatives.

1.  As I stated in a previous post, you could make a list of comics, post as many pictures as possible, and just run a single big auction on ebay (or similar auction site).  Collect the cash (after ebay fees), and just mail all the comics at once to the highest bidder.  You don't have to learn about what's valuable, or what condition is, and while you won't maximize your profit, the 'fair market' has essentially ensured you're not getting royally cheated.  You'd be done with the whole thing in a week.  

2.  Consider consigning with a big, respected comic dealer.  Consigning means they sell your comics for you, obviously for a fee.  You send all your comics to someone (hopefully reputable), and they do the grading, the advertisements, the listings (auction or buy it now), they handle shipping and returns, they fill out tax forms, and just mail you checks when items sell.  They might even recommend which comics to send for grading when its appropriate, or help you determine which are best sold in bundles or auctions or whatever.  For your purposes, I would consider mycomicshop.  You can contact them and they will walk you through the whole process and see what your options are.  Of course there are plenty of other reputable dealers as well, the best choice may depend on what your goals are and what you actually have.

If you do want more help from these boards, you should post more specifics about what you actually have (like how many comics roughly, what are the titles generally, what years are they from), and what are your actual goals (sell quickly? max profit? protect as an investment? start collecting?)

I have pretty much zero experience with comics, but I read something on one of the consignment sites that might be helpful.  They suggested that people who are unfamiliar with comics should sort them into stacks of the same titles, then out of each stack find the lowest and highest numbered issues and write those down, such as...

Amazing Spider Man #11 - #229

You don't have to list each individual issue, or which ones are missing, just the range--then post those here and the minds that know can tell you which runs may contain treasures.  Just a thought.

On 5/2/2022 at 6:16 PM, Axe Elf said:

I have pretty much zero experience with comics, but I read something on one of the consignment sites that might be helpful.  They suggested that people who are unfamiliar with comics should sort them into stacks of the same titles, then out of each stack find the lowest and highest numbered issues and write those down, such as...

Amazing Spider Man #11 - #229

You don't have to list each individual issue, or which ones are missing, just the range--then post those here and the minds that know can tell you which runs may contain treasures.  Just a thought.

That is smart. I will say it again, I use mcs ( my comic shop dot com) as a resource for this type of thing, once you have the range you can call up 50 issues at a time with variants and Mark Jewelers etc all listed (usually).