• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 8:57 PM, Bird said:

we both liked it but I have the opposite reactions to your points. I didn't see America as that while watching but you do have a point. I was glad to see John K go and thought Captain marvel was the best part of that scene, the battle energy dance with Marvel and Witchiepoo was cool. I never watched the cartoon so didn't even notice that.

We’ll there you go…different strokes, different folks

Edited by AGGIEZ

I ended up seeing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness today.

The Illuminati was a cool addition to the movie, but I didn’t think they were necessary to the plot since everyone was killed off pretty quickly. It was more like fan service than anything else.

Overall, I give the film an 8/10.

5AB22CE9-72FB-4BD4-BA5D-69EF1EC80661.jpeg

On 5/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Can someone explain to me if there is a difference between universe’s VS dimensions VS different time lines or are they all the same?

I just got home from seeing it. It's a little ambiguous on your question, but I believe that you could potentially have different timelines within the same universe. They specifically name the 616 universe for example.

Pro's:

1) I loved the Doctor Strange demon spirit things that he was controlling at the end.  It was very "Army of Darkness".

2) Reed Richard's was good but IDK, I think it will be tough even for the MCU to pull off the whole stretchy power.

3) Liked Wanda as the villain but was really hoping for a more grander scale villain.

Con's:

1) The third eye. Not the concept, it just looked kind of cheesy.

2) America Chavez I thought was a little annoying.

3) The Illuminati kill off. It made them look a little ridiculous.  I'm not sure why but Black Bolt smirk was a little cringe to me.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:28 PM, grendelbo said:

What about the car? The Oldsmobile Delta 88?

the yellow 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88, which you can spot floating in mid-air when Dr. Strange and Christine stumble into the collided universe.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:13 PM, Azkaban said:

the yellow 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88, which you can spot floating in mid-air when Dr. Strange and Christine stumble into the collided universe.

yes-napoleon-dynamite.gif

534f1be520826f15d0824773d17231faaea5c04b.gifv.gif

Yup, I saw the car too. I was worried it would be in a crowded new york scene and that I would miss it since I don,t really have an eye for cars. But Raimi laid it out really clearly for anyone who might be in the know.

I just came back from watching it and I thought it was pretty good, also quite relentless, and very very Raimi. I am not that big a Raimi fan. I get what he does but it's just not my thing. But then again, Raimi wants you to laugh at the goofiness of the situation and I did, so I guess I do get it and my body did react accordingly. I read a review that said people were laughing at the wrong parts but they just don't know a Raimi film. The contrast of an "emotional" or "inspiring" speech given to you by a corpse in exaggerated prosthetics IS the joke and Cumberbatch really goes broke making Raimi's dreams come true by adding this weird rigor mortis angle to his speech and jaw movement. 

That's one thing I will give this movie (and Marvel), they go for freaken broke! This is a Raimi movie through and through, not a cookie cutter Marvel film. How in the world did this get a PG13 rating?! Not saying the F word means you can show eye gouging, heads exploding Boys style, and rotting corpses coming to life? 

So yeah sounds like I enjoyed it, and I did, but fans of Raimi will undoubtedly like it more. I did have some serious issues with it:

1. Wong's hair is distracting AF. We are talking about a multimillion dollar film, if you have to do reshoots just give him a dam wig that's close enough to the other shot. Having his hair completely change in style and length from one shot to the next is really distracting and feels so damn cheap.

2. I don't get what was up with some music cues. I am referring to some guitar riffs that we here which seem really random with the scene at hand.

3. While the magic action is very good and fun, that martial arts fight with Mordo was terrible. Could they not have someone who knows how to direct a martial arts fight help Raimi with that? It reminds me of Taken 2 where they cut so frantically to hide any poorly shot action. And it's in a very tight space, could have made for a cool and fun fight, but instead it looks like .

4. Really dislike that first end credit scene. We end the film on a cliff hanger and it's only a cliffhanger for 5 minutes because it's immediately resolved in the end credit scene.

5. Why was Rinthra there if he did nothing? If you are going to have something or something stand out, then it would be fun to do something with it.

6. Mordo's accent was also very distracting. He was sounding like Matt Berry, don't know why he had to give that goofier spin on it.

And those are my quibbles

Edited by William-James88

On 5/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, Terry JSA said:

I didn’t think they were necessary to the plot since everyone was killed off pretty quickly.

Honestly, all their deaths made me think of Ultimatum in that the deaths were grotesque and kinda pointless.  Felt like it was a "shock factor" thing.  If they wanted to highlight how powerful Wanda really is, I'm sure they could have found another way to do it.

That said, I appreciate that the trailer that followed No Way Home was literally meant to throw people off.  I feel like trailers release waaay too many details these days so that was great.  Mind you, I've been going into the last few Marvel movies without seeing any media, staying off their social media, avoiding this particular section of the boards, etc (with exception of the first teasers).  Some things did manage to leak through.  Like I think there was a Youtube video that popped up a while ago showing Captain Carter.  And I think the Illuminati was spoiled because the price of that book jumped "mysteriously".  Still, I expected the Illuminati to be a post credits reveal and not dropped in the middle of the film.

Oh, and I think I was the only one in my theater to gasp when Christine said she was working for the Baxter Foundation.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:39 AM, ExNihilo said:

Oh, and I think I was the only one in my theater to gasp when Christine said she was working for the Baxter Foundation.

I caught that too and immediately thought of the Fantastic Four.

Oh, just need to add, as someone who is a massive fan of Hickman's work, especially his absolute epic that spanned from Fantastic Four to Avengers to Secret Wars, I am stoked that we're going to be getting some form of Secret Wars on screen.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:12 AM, ExNihilo said:

Oh, just need to add, as someone who is a massive fan of Hickman's work, especially his absolute epic that spanned from Fantastic Four to Avengers to Secret Wars, I am stoked that we're going to be getting some form of Secret Wars on screen.

I was stoked that they talked about incursion events. 

Here are some contrasting thoughts as I am a comic fan but the partner isn't (and never watched wandavision).

As already stated by everyone this is a very Sam Rami movie and I absolutely enjoyed it, I am concerned a larger audience wont though. He has a style and this felt very much like an evil dead 2/Darkman movie from both a visual and tone aspect. Unfortunately the movie itself suffered slightly from pacing which ramps up, then comes to a stop during the fan service Illuminati scene, and again before the fight with the last Strange.

I think the entire Illuminati scene was a test run to see what sticks and what will be accepted on the live action side of things in the future and just how "interchangeable" they can be with characters (which was broached with Cpt. America) when more of the Avengers era actors become to expensive for full movies.

My partner on the other hand whom has seen all the movies but not the TV shows... had no idea why Wanda was the bad guy and didn't really care about what was going on due to it. It was a fun ride but it wasn't for someone who didn't already know what was going on.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:38 PM, DougC said:

My partner on the other hand whom has seen all the movies but not the TV shows... had no idea why Wanda was the bad guy and didn't really care about what was going on due to it. It was a fun ride but it wasn't for someone who didn't already know what was going on.

Boy, they're going to be even more confused when Kang eventually appears on the big screen.

Liked that there were a lot of misdirects leading up to the film.

Whatever became of Bruce dressed as Dr Strange? 

Wanda revealed as the villain at the very beginning of the movie. 

Things like that.