• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

I'm tentatively giving this a 7.5/10.

First of all: Holy f:censored:ing s:censored:. I cannot believe they cast Krasinki to be Mr. Fantastic... My mind was blown.

Second of all, they did nail incorporating horror aspects into this movie. I'm very happy about that.

The movie has a few glaring problems that I just cannot overlook. It's poorly-written, and poorly paced at times (specifically the beginning). Wong is apparently the dumbest Sorcerer Supreme that you could possibly imagine. The ending is dumb, and the first credit scene just comes out of nowhere. Only about 5% of the jokes land. There's too many Raimi-isms (outdated CBM tropes). The ending is not satisfactory.

For the most part, I had fun, but I just couldn't ignore a lot of the dumb s**t that was shown.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

First of all: Holy f:censored:ing s:censored:. I cannot believe they cast Krasinki to be Mr. Fantastic...

This is the most important bit for the future, I suppose. How much screentime does Reed get? Is he smarter than Stark? I only want Reed to be smarter than Stark. This is my only fanboy aspiration. Down with Stark. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, TupennyConan said:

This is the most important bit for the future, I suppose. How much screentime does Reed get? Is he smarter than Stark? I only want Reed to be smarter than Stark. This is my only fanboy aspiration. Down with Stark. 

Not that smart since he tells Wanda how to defeat black bolt and then gets destroyed in 5 minutes

On 5/6/2022 at 7:21 AM, Wolverinex said:

Not that smart since he tells Wanda how to defeat black bolt and then gets destroyed in 5 minutes

That's true. I thought it was dumb as hell, but if you need to kill Black Bolt I guess that's how you do it.

Oh, and the fact that Black Bolt was in this was f***ing amazing.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, TupennyConan said:

Should be. Even though my dad was a comic reader back in the day, he was like, "why the hell is Mr. Fantastic on the Illuminati? He isn't that special." I'm like, "dude, he's the smartest person on Earth. They even mentioned that when introducing him."

On 5/6/2022 at 7:54 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's true. I thought it was dumb as hell, but if you need to kill Black Bolt I guess that's how you do it.

Oh, and the fact that Black Bolt was in this was f***ing amazing.

Yes, it was awesome seeing black  bolt.  Hopefully they utilize him more

On 5/6/2022 at 8:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I suspect that Galactus is the one who destroyed Dark Doctor Strange's world, since he didn't answer the question.

They said what happened, it's an incursion event. That's a "normal" occuring event in the multiverse when worlds literally collide after meddling between them too much. It's not a big bad destroying the world. That's why the world is a shadow of it's former self, it's fading from existence, with ash everywhere (like when Thanos snapped his fingers) and gravity/physics is all busted.

Only way to stop an incursion is to destroy the world that's closest to yours so that no collision occurs. Made for a pretty badass panel in the comics.

On 5/6/2022 at 6:15 AM, Larryw7 said:

Are the events of NWH addressed in any way?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:58 AM, William-James88 said:

No, they are not. Also, i thought the What If Doctor Strange episode would be adressed, it is not either. The main movies adressed are: Doctor Strange 1 (for Mordo), Infinity War/Endgame, that What if captain Carter episode and Wandavision.

They do kinda. 

When Strange and Wong are talking with America in the  Dinner she asks are you familiar with the multiverse?

They say there was the Whole Spider-Man incident!

America says Spider-man? then

a little back and forth about spiders. She asks does he spins webs out his Butt. Strange says no.. I means its possible and then they move onto something else

Edited by Ares

On 5/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ares said:

They do kinda. 

When Strange and Wong are talking with America in the  Dinner she asks are you familiar with the multiverse?

They say there was the Whole Spider-Man incident!

America says Spider-man? then

a little back and forth about spiders. She asks does he spins webs out his Butt. Strange says no.. I means its possible and then they move onto something else

Ah you're right, forgot about that part. 

Hey, something I didn't get. America (the character, not the country) speaks spanish and has a jacket with the stars and striped with her power being a star. So lot's of New York latino American iconography. But then we see her world and it's this utopian world that is totally unrelated to our own. So how the hell does that work?

Kinda reminds me of my one issue with the Winter Soldier movie, when I first watched it. He's called the Winter soldier referring to the cold war between the US and the Soviets, uses Russian equipment (they specify that for some reason as if it's supposed to be important) and has the red Soviet star on his arm to contrast Captain America's iconography. And yet in that movie he is revealed to be an agent of Hydra worked on by Swiss, German and American Scientists? WTF?
They of course explain it later in Civil War that he was trained in the Russian division of Hydra, so watching the film again that is never an issue. But still, that first time I watched Winter Soldier, it's as if the comic design and influence was totally at odds with the actual story on display.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, valiantman said:

8)  Introducing the Darkhold is pretty cool, that should be a neat addition to the MCU---- and, it's gone!

Just saw it tonight and thought the same thing. Although Wong had some memory of its contents, perhaps other do too. Maybe it can be re-written. (shrug)

Saw it tonight. I really enjoyed it!  I liked what they did with Wanda quite a bit.  I didn't even consider that they would actually turn her heel without a redemption swing halfway through the movie to fight the good fight. It was pretty awesome seeing the Illuminati characters on screen and didn't mind that they offed them pretty much right away.  I loved Black Bolts death scene. I did think they would keep a few of them to add to the MCU somehow.

I can see people being confused if they haven't seen Wandavision though.  I don't remember there being more than a line or two to explain much of Westview - although there were 2 kids that came in late standing next to us talking when Strange went to meet Wanda so I may have missed it.

Edited by Jemin

On 5/7/2022 at 12:03 AM, Jemin said:

I can see people being confused if they haven't seen Wandavision though.  I don't remember there being more than a line or two to explain much of Westview - although there were 2 kids that came in late standing next to us talking when Strange went to meet Wanda so I may have missed it.

That's part of the challenge with such a massive franchise: keeping all the pieces together for the audience. And hoping they saw it all too.

I didn’t like it at all.  A couple cool fanboy moments and some “shades of Evil Dead” are the only thing that kept me from totally hating it.   The plot was lame.  The resolution weak.
 I also found Rachel McAdam’s mole very distracting. lol 

Since Endgame, I haven’t really enjoyed a Marvel movie other than Spider-Man.

Let’s give this one a solid D.  Will not watch again.