• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FCBD 2022
1 1

23 posts in this topic

So, what FCBD books do you think will be hot this year, if any? Marvel and DC both have ratio variants for their books this year. Marvel is going wild with 1:1000 Peach Momoko variants. I don't know if any of my LCSs will even order 1000 copies, not that I'd buy it anyway.

Maybe that Bunny Mask Tales, or the Nottingham book, or Jeff Lemire's book Bone Orchard Mythos will be good pickups. Potentially good reads if nothing else.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, BuraddoRun said:

So, what FCBD books do you think will be hot this year, if any? Marvel and DC both have ratio variants for their books this year. Marvel is going wild with 1:1000 Peach Momoko variants. I don't know if any of my LCSs will even order 1000 copies, not that I'd buy it anyway.

Maybe that Bunny Mask Tales, or the Nottingham book, or Jeff Lemire's book Bone Orchard Mythos will be good pickups. Potentially good reads if nothing else.

This day is meant to get kids into the shops so that our hobby can continue to grow and thrive. Looking to make $3 off a free comic with this intent is just sad.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:18 AM, ygogolak said:

This day is meant to get kids into the shops so that our hobby can continue to grow and thrive. Looking to make $3 off a free comic with this intent is just sad.

That's part of FCBD, and that part is great, but it's not all. Why would Marvel make 1:1000 variants for their "free" comics? Why would DC make a "free" comic variant with a literal price on the cover? Why would Marvel and DC put out comics that aren't reprints and are actually lead-ins to big events they have planned? And finally, do you think comics available on FCBD like Bunny Mask are meant to get kids into the hobby?

The truth is, FCBD is simply marketing. You have comics meant for kids like Sonic and Donald Duck and a number of other books. Then you have books clearly meant for adults like Nottingham and Bunny Mask. And this variant thing...c'mon. Companies want to bring in new customers but they play to trends and marketing. They want to drum up hype and get people to spend money and collect. And if there's any goodwill in their intent, yes, of course they want kids to have fun books to read. But they also reward adult readers. These books are not all introductory books. And they KNOW people have FOMO and pay to that with the ridiculous variants.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:02 AM, BuraddoRun said:

That's part of FCBD, and that part is great, but it's not all. Why would Marvel make 1:1000 variants for their "free" comics? Why would DC make a "free" comic variant with a literal price on the cover? Why would Marvel and DC put out comics that aren't reprints and are actually lead-ins to big events they have planned? And finally, do you think comics available on FCBD like Bunny Mask are meant to get kids into the hobby?

The truth is, FCBD is simply marketing. You have comics meant for kids like Sonic and Donald Duck and a number of other books. Then you have books clearly meant for adults like Nottingham and Bunny Mask. And this variant thing...c'mon. Companies want to bring in new customers but they play to trends and marketing. They want to drum up hype and get people to spend money and collect. And if there's any goodwill in their intent, yes, of course they want kids to have fun books to read. But they also reward adult readers. These books are not all introductory books. And they KNOW people have FOMO and pay to that with the ridiculous variants.

FCBD is marketing, and that's fine. But 1:1000 "FCBD" variants just seems a little on the nose. The idea being FCBD wasn't just marketing, it was also about accessibility, and this variant nonsense seems rather like the opposite of that.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, BuraddoRun said:

They aren't free to the retailer.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:18 AM, ygogolak said:

It can mean both. That being said, I sincerely doubt anyone will see any value in these outside of the ratio variants.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, Lord Gemini said:

It can mean both. That being said, I sincerely doubt anyone will see any value in these outside of the ratio variants.

There are a handful of books that have value out of the presumably 1,000's over the years now.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, ygogolak said:

There are a handful of books that have value out of the presumably 1,000's over the years now.

Right. That's why I'm just looking to grab what I like and then snag a ratio variant off eBay or something if I really want it.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

One of my LCSs has a 50% off back issue sale tomorrow (and they don't sort; I've made good money off those boxes), plus the FCBD copies. And I have a Mother's Day gathering with my wife's family during the same time as their operating hours... :(

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, Wolverinex said:

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

That is my credo for 99% of my life. This weekend is the 1%. 16 years ago was my wife's first Mother's Day as a mom - on that day, we got in a "disagreement," went to our separate corners to cool down, and I fell asleep on the couch not long after. When I woke up, she was mowing the lawn for the first time ever since we'd been together. From that day on, I've done whatever the heck she wants on Mother's Day.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

That is my credo for 99% of my life. This weekend is the 1%. 16 years ago was my wife's first Mother's Day as a mom - on that day, we got in a "disagreement," went to our separate corners to cool down, and I fell asleep on the couch not long after. When I woke up, she was mowing the lawn for the first time ever since we'd been together. From that day on, I've done whatever the heck she wants on Mother's Day.

Good man.

Today I hit up 3 stores and got all the freebies I wanted. One store had a 25 cent sale on a bunch of books and I picked up a few bucks worth of those. I will say, regarding the intent discussion above, I DID see a lot of kiddos at the stores excited about getting free comics. It was a nice day for families to go out and have some fun at the local comic shop.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Good man.

Today I hit up 3 stores and got all the freebies I wanted. One store had a 25 cent sale on a bunch of books and I picked up a few bucks worth of those. I will say, regarding the intent discussion above, I DID see a lot of kiddos at the stores excited about getting free comics. It was a nice day for families to go out and have some fun at the local comic shop.

I volunteer at my LCS (last year and this year) and my kiddo comes and helps too.  It is a big to do, they have local creators and stuff for kids to do.  We manned the carnival games this year.

Was a scorcher of a day but we all had a good amount of shade (as it is outside).  But was great fun.

I did get all the FCBD books I was after as did my kiddo. 🙂

On 5/8/2022 at 9:49 PM, Crops068 said:

I volunteer at my LCS (last year and this year) and my kiddo comes and helps too.  It is a big to do, they have local creators and stuff for kids to do.  We manned the carnival games this year.

Was a scorcher of a day but we all had a good amount of shade (as it is outside).  But was great fun.

I did get all the FCBD books I was after as did my kiddo. 🙂

^^

Working :x with comic themes!