• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cranston Books Shadow and Doc reprints

3 posts in this topic

What is up with the ebay auction prices hardback Shadow and Doc Savage hardback reprints with facsimile interiors from Cranston Books?  They seem to sell for at least $100 apiece and in the case of some of the Doc issues, over $600, far more than many of originals they reprint would sell for. What are these? When are they from? And who is paying these prices?

No idea, not familiar with the Cranston Books editions.  I know there was a period when a couple of the Doc Savage doubles from Bantam could go for more than the original pulps, but that was just a couple specific books with very small print runs relative to the others in the series.  The internet and later reprints have dropped those prices, though.

Yeah this is bizarre.. Never heard of or seen these before either, but there's $10,000 in sales on a few reprints so far. That publisher's name is also not much help, seems like an obvious reference.

They do look really nice though, and I like the Bantam Doc covers more than the original sometimes dorky pulp ones, but they're missing the interior art. These look like the best of both worlds. I'd pay $600 for the set.