• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't combine two different tiers in one submission?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hey all! I am submitting books to CGC for the first time. I have one book that I think needs to be submitted under the standard tier because of its value (ASM 300). The rest are all modern tier. 

I could not figure out a way to submit books under two different tiers through the online submission form. Am I missing something, or does CGC not allow multiple tiers on one submission?

Thanks!

On 5/4/2022 at 6:11 PM, Kronius said:

Hey all! I am submitting books to CGC for the first time. I have one book that I think needs to be submitted under the standard tier because of its value (ASM 300). The rest are all modern tier. 

I could not figure out a way to submit books under two different tiers through the online submission form. Am I missing something, or does CGC not allow multiple tiers on one submission?

Thanks!

Been a while since I used CGC but I think they have to be separate.  Can be mailed together, but on separate invoices.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

And, they will definitely come back separately because they don't want to bother keeping track of your books in different tiers.  So extra shipping.

In general, you can ship different invoices in the same box. There are some exceptions. No piggy backing on Mechanical Error shipments, for example, and it's bad form to sneak low tier stuff in a Walkthrough box...

But regardless, every invoice will ship back individually.

It's interesting but I actually figured out that you are allowed to combine multiple tiers into one submission. You start the order with one tier and enter all the comics that go under that tier into the online form. Then you click "Review Cart". When it takes you to the "Review" screen, you click "+ Add Another Service". This takes you back to the service selection menu. You can then select another service (Grade/Press/etc) and a new tier. You add all the comics that you go under that tier. When you go back to the Review Cart page, both tiers will be there in the same Cart.

I called CGC to confirm this was okay. They said it was. But they said that once they open the box and process it, the two different tiers will be split up and processed and shipped back to you separately, and you have to pay for two return shipping fees.

Unfortunately for me I figured this out after I'd already checked out and completed the packing slip for one of my tiers, but this is good to know for the future.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:34 PM, What'sTheNumberFor911? said:

What's the difference? Do you save $5 per invoice?

No because they still separate each invoice out into different “submissions “ and charge the $5 handling fee for each submission. 

For example, in the Modern tier invoice I just completed, I had some books with custom labels and some without. I got charged two handling fees- one for each group. If you have two different tiers, I’m sure it would be the same.

When I asked CGC, they said it would not make any difference which way you do it.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:02 PM, Kronius said:

It's interesting but I actually figured out that you are allowed to combine multiple tiers into one submission. You start the order with one tier and enter all the comics that go under that tier into the online form. Then you click "Review Cart". When it takes you to the "Review" screen, you click "+ Add Another Service". This takes you back to the service selection menu. You can then select another service (Grade/Press/etc) and a new tier. You add all the comics that you go under that tier. When you go back to the Review Cart page, both tiers will be there in the same Cart.

I called CGC to confirm this was okay. They said it was. But they said that once they open the box and process it, the two different tiers will be split up and processed and shipped back to you separately, and you have to pay for two return shipping fees.

Unfortunately for me I figured this out after I'd already checked out and completed the packing slip for one of my tiers, but this is good to know for the future.

I have been trying to find out something similar that this may answer, if you know. I want to submit books under pressing with fast track service, and grading WITHOUT fast track service. However, that option is not there anymore, and I am automatically charged fast track for both pressing and grading, which is an extra $15 a book. I called CGC and they said I have to pay fast track for both, but that does not seem right. I tried exactly what you said here, but was wondering if CGC would consider this to be 2 books instead of 1 when they receive it. Do you know about this, or if it would work? Thanks in advance!