P.G.M. Iron Man # 95
2 2

24 posts in this topic

ps I'm always curious when someone asks for a grade on a book worth maybe $2 bucks-

On 5/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, kav said:

ps I'm always curious when someone asks for a grade on a book worth maybe $2 bucks-

I'm trying to learn how to grade books....older mid-grade ...low level books are hard for me to grade so I'm using this Iron Man run to improve my grading skills on these types of books. Also I'm learning the lingo and terms used when grading....lots of graders take the time to teach and explain plus and minus associated with certain issues like stains and water damage and so on and so forth....there is so much to learn and I only just started so this has been invaluable to me and I'm so thankful to everyone who has been helping me thru this.  Thank You for your grade.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I'm trying to learn how to grade books....older mid-grade ...low level books are hard for me to grade so I'm using this Iron Man run to improve my grading skills on these types of books. Also I'm learning the lingo and terms used when grading....lots of graders take the time to teach and explain plus and minus associated with certain issues like stains and water damage and so on and so forth....there is so much to learn and I only just started so this has been invaluable to me and I'm so thankful to everyone who has been helping me thru this.  Thank You for your grade.

thx!

On 5/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

could probably be pressed to 5.0 if that helps.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:04 PM, kav said:

could probably be pressed to 5.0 if that helps.

I luv that insight too ...I have no idea how pressing works or how it affects grades or even when you should or should not do it.....but I am learning about it now and I'm reading up on all that stuff.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I luv that insight too ...I have no idea how pressing works or how it affects grades or even when you should or should not do it.....but I am learning about it now and I'm reading up on all that stuff.

you have to get a reputable presser like joey post otherwise book could get damaged.  press books that are worth pressing, maybe like a $100 book that could become a $400 book.   pressing raises grade by 0.5 to 2.0 grades depending on book.  

I've got it around a GD/VG or VG- as is. I don't know if I agree that it can be improved much with a press, but possibly a half grade bump? Certainly a good book to practice on, at any rate.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:11 PM, kav said:

you have to get a reputable presser like joey post otherwise book could get damaged.  press books that are worth pressing, maybe like a $100 book that could become a $400 book.   pressing raises grade by 0.5 to 2.0 grades depending on book.  

This is just a wealth of information and I can't thank you enough. Your a very nice person and I must say your 72 k  posts make you like some kind of Living Legend when it comes to this kind of stuff in my eyes.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:03 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

lots of graders take the time to teach and explain plus and minus associated with certain issues like stains and water damage and so on and so forth

@marvelmaniac is the best with this.

I grade every book that comes through this forum so it's hard to find the time and energy.

Aside from Overstreet and other grading standards, you'll learn a lot by just grading books and seeing what others say about them. Do it enough and you'll begin to understand what a book looks like in a certain grade. It'll take hundreds and hundreds of books but it will happen. The particular and odd or uncommon defect will be the hardest to figure out.

Thanks for continuing to post.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:03 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

That's all fine but PLEASE don't post so many pics!  We can tell from four pics or so what grade it is.   I'm at 3.5!

You are between a 3.5 and a 4.0 .. coin flip… I don’t have any problem with the number of pics you are posting. They are super clear and the more info we get the more accurate we can be generally speaking. That being said with these books you have 4 or 5 should be just fine along with any of the details you usually provide 

If you have a high resolution scanner, you would only need a few pics.  If you don’t have one, try to post pics of the worst defects, along with BC and FC. (thumbsu

C&P o 5.0/5.5

On 5/5/2022 at 10:21 PM, Galen130 said:

If you have a high resolution scanner, you would only need a few pics.  If you don’t have one, try to post pics of the worst defects, along with BC and FC. (thumbsu

C&P o 5.0/5.5

No scanner .....I don't even know what that is ? I guess it's like a photo copy machine.......I sound pretty stupid......I'm just laughing at myself.....probably like you guy's do when you read these dumb things I post.  Good advice on pics of worst defects and Front and Back cover ...will do.

P.S.  I'm not a Tech-ey Guy ...I still luv paper....If it wasn't for my wife I would never have been able to figure out how to even post these pics.....I use her phone......because I have never owned one....How nuts is that ....I may have to get one soon ......she keeps bugging me to get one.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

No scanner .....I don't even know what that is ? I guess it's like a photo copy machine.......I sound pretty stupid......I'm just laughing at myself.....probably like you guy's do when you read these dumb things I post.  Good advice on pics of worst defects and Front and Back cover ...will do.

P.S.  I'm not a Tech-ey Guy ...I still luv paper....If it wasn't for my wife I would never have been able to figure out how to even post these pics.....I use her phone......because I have never owned one....How nuts is that ....I may have to get one soon ......she keeps bugging me to get one.

Question of curiosity, do not feel obliged to answer...Your lack of use and knowledge of technology has me wondering, are you an "Old Guy" like me (66)? Nothing wrong with that at all, just curious.

Three things I learned from 40 years in the Automotive Repair Industry, they kind of apply to almost any situation.

1)The only "stupid" question is the one that is not asked.

2)It is easier to answer "stupid" questions than to fix "stupid" mistakes.

3)The first time is an experience, the second time is a mistake.

I believe in teaching which means you have to start at the beginning (as you are) and explain things simply so they are understood, so any questions, concerns, Please feel free to ask.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

There are times I wish I didn’t have a smartphone.  I don’t like the aliens tracking me…:shy:

On 5/6/2022 at 10:45 AM, Galen130 said:

There are times I wish I didn’t have a smartphone.  I don’t like the aliens tracking me…:shy:

Three letters...VPN. (thumbsu