• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Show Saturday, June 18
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, PovertyRow said:

I must have some weird karma going with submitting to CGC. So my Fedex was supposed to be Saturday, as I said, so am staying home today. I made a few online orders for Saturday delivery since I was going to be home anyway.

Now I find my CGC delivery has been rescheduled for Monday. Similar thing happened with my last Fedex CGC delivery, which is why I avoid them whenever possible. doh!

fedex sat 6-18.png

Michael,

Set up a FedEx account and have them hold your package, so you can pick up at your convenience.

Missed you in Berkeley today. 🥲

On 6/18/2022 at 4:03 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Michael,

Set up a FedEx account and have them hold your package, so you can pick up at your convenience.

Missed you in Berkeley today. 🥲

Missed seeing you all as well. On my previous shipment from CGC I signed into Fedex and it said this package was not eligible for such changes. Tried going back into Fedex but my password was not working. Requested a verification code be emailed to me so I could change my password. Received none. Next requested a text be sent to me. Again nada. Now I know they have my email as I requested my username via my email an d I got it. I also have emails from Fedex and also Texts from Fedex so I know they have my phone number as well. To paraphrase Stan Lee's cameo in the first AntMan movie: "Crazy super botched!" :insane: 

(For the benefit of those who may have not seen AntMan)

On 6/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, JWKyle said:

We're not coming up this time. We went to a show last weekend in North Hollywood too soon for another trip plus fathers day weekend. But and I know this one hasn't happened yet,but hopefully the next one will be a go for me. Have a good show and I really the like few books I have from the Kubert collection it's nice having something from one of my favorite big five war creators even though the Kuberts I have are Marvels :makepoint:

Oh and too bad about Elveen's his stock is always fun to dig through.

How was the show in N Hollywood? Thought about setting up but noticed the venue change and had a prior commitment. Decent crowd? 

Another very fun show in Berkeley!  Tim was an absolute superhero yesterday on setup day. There were a lot of surprise problems with the venue that he had to deal with using creativity and a lot of brawn.

First show as a vendor for Shin anywhere since Big Wow 2012?  First Berkeley visit by FFB as well!

Next show is our sixth anniversary--coming right up on August 6.

I think this was my favorite show so far! And we’ve done a lot of shows!

I had so many great comic conversations with so many cool people. Darick Robertson was an absolute joy! The guy has just been killing it in comics, and his creation ‘The Boys’ is dominating Amazon, but somehow he’s the friendliest guy you’ve ever met. We gave away a bunch of Darick books, and Harv Doss donated six CGC graded books, which we also gave away today - there were a bunch of stoked comic book collectors!

@The Brain was in charge of the parking lot as usual (thank you my friend!), and Darick did a killer Spider Jerusalem head sketch on his ‘comic art jam’ T-Shirt.

I picked up a super nice set of Planet of the Apes magazine 1-3 from Ian, and am very excited about that.

Thanks to all the dealers, the shops that pass out our fliers, and especially everyone who attended! Marc and I appreciate you.

2DBD7EEB-9B3B-4C42-B82A-382818B6B89D.jpeg

01B2499C-3FFB-4079-8D7C-E896C6E930C8.jpeg

388B6D9F-CABF-4087-9117-B42ADEE5A0C3.jpeg

4FB592F5-3853-49AE-A6D0-94F3F378AC26.jpeg

9243BD86-5581-41D4-997A-01B97D43C8AA.jpeg

619708FA-D187-42BF-AF16-769721284F37.jpeg

8E4B77ED-84C6-41CB-9081-131C5CBCCF4F.jpeg

D5586E49-4398-41D6-8BD5-80F2A0FDEEC6.jpeg

2A37E021-F22B-467B-8C57-FFCA0A0D9F4E.jpeg

On 6/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Another very fun show in Berkeley!  Tim was an absolute superhero yesterday on setup day. There were a lot of surprise problems with the venue that he had to deal with using creativity and a lot of brawn.

First show as a vendor for Shin anywhere since Big Wow 2012?  First Berkeley visit by FFB as well!

Next show is our sixth anniversary--coming right up on August 6.

Bummed I couldn't make it, but I need to re-fill the coffers and watch my expenses.  Will hopefully be able to come out in August.

Yep. First time setting up again in what must be ten years. A friend wanted to set up at a show for the first time so I decided to help him out and build him a comic display rack. We didn’t bring much this first time… just slabs and some misc items, but it was a good show and learning experience.

Quick and dirty rack build but it has recessed nut inserts and external knobs to make it easy to attach the back pieces. Standard wire shelving that  can be different sizes. Rubber feet to make it non-skid and to elevate the front angle. Cord locks and string to keep the books from falling.

It was sized for slabs this time, but it’ll probably be resizable for both slabs and raws with six shelves in the future.  Six feet wide for an 8’ booth. I’d probably do 14’ wide for 16’ or 8’ for a 10’ booth. (A 6 and an 8.)

I use zip ties to keep the bottom part of the wire shelves from sliding horizontally which gives it added strength structurally. Everything breaks down into a long and narrow bundle for easy packing into an SUV.

5EA79C25-CCD5-44EA-B46E-EBA087DD64E1.jpegD711FD7F-9460-4F9B-ACFD-0FA8AC6A0ADE.jpegF84ED543-20E6-403C-BCD5-1497EEF78F9A.jpeg908C74A8-6523-43A5-A9EF-B1088140A86E.jpegE8168E8D-3B2B-47AF-8C7F-76DCAB87C585.jpeg
27A155C3-0A38-47E5-9907-54D4526E2358.jpeg

On 6/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, Robot Man said:

How was the show in N Hollywood? Thought about setting up but noticed the venue change and had a prior commitment. Decent crowd? 

If I would have know what I know now I would have 1000% went to Berkeley this weekend. And if I know Sckao  was setting up that would have been the cherry on top. Last book I bought from him was a ASM 121 at the old Steve Wyatt Heyward con years and years ago.

@Robot Man

The crowd was fine the location and area were not the best. It was in a good size bar and I saw drinks being serveddoh!with kids at the con.  The layout was small and weird I will not be going to this one again at this location. If they move back to the Hyatt then yes maybe I will think about it this just left something to be desired. F/VF --Brad is where most of my books came from and I picked up a nice bronze Monster of Frankenstein 1 plus a good amount of run filler for my sets. 

Oh and the cherry on top I almost got tee-boned as I was trying to leave the con. Parking was really really bad and getting back on the busy main street was like a blind gamble. There are so many good cons in California there is no need to go to one that is rough. 

On 6/19/2022 at 12:18 PM, JWKyle said:

If I would have know what I know now I would have 1000% went to Berkeley this weekend. And if I know Sckao  was setting up that would have been the cherry on top. Last book I bought from him was a ASM 121 at the old Steve Wyatt Heyward con years and years ago.

@Robot Man

The crowd was fine the location and area were not the best. It was in a good size bar and I saw drinks being serveddoh!with kids at the con.  The layout was small and weird I will not be going to this one again at this location. If they move back to the Hyatt then yes maybe I will think about it this just left something to be desired. F/VF --Brad is where most of my books came from and I picked up a nice bronze Monster of Frankenstein 1 plus a good amount of run filler for my sets. 

Oh and the cherry on top I almost got tee-boned as I was trying to leave the con. Parking was really really bad and getting back on the busy main street was like a blind gamble. There are so many good cons in California there is no need to go to one that is rough. 

Thanks for this. I set up at a couple of the Hyatt shows and did pretty well. I heard about the weird location and parking. I might wait and see if he can find a better location for the next one. 

On 6/19/2022 at 12:18 PM, JWKyle said:

Good memory!  The last Hayward con was in 2008.

I'm still pumped about our last show--it was really great. Next show is August 6 and I will start the new thread today.