• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catrick's (sporadic) Windy City Pulp Convention report!
3 3

50 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 8:39 AM, jimjum12 said:

That's Gene Carpenter's booth .... You should see what ISN'T on the wall ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Gene is great.  Lots of fun helping connect him with a buyer on some cool early Peanuts books.  Next time, I have to look at his stock closely early because he had a lot of nice books.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Gene is great.  Lots of fun helping connect him with a buyer on some cool early Peanuts books.  Next time, I have to look at his stock closely early because he had a lot of nice books.

Some Very cool Peanuts.

I can’t stop smiling.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:00 AM, catrick339 said:

Preliminary report.

I was disappointed in the sales on the zillion inexpensive hardcovers I dragged in, even after lowering the price  to $3 apiece they tended to set there. See the first pic of my booth. It's all paperbacks next year. Pulps sold okay, paperbacks at $5 sold very well, paperbacks at $1, even when laid out UNDER the tables, did very well. I even sold a half dozen Big Little Books. Hardcovers at retail sold pretty well. I'm thinning my personal collection and have some beautiful volumes available, lots of lookers, a decent amount of buyers. All I brought in comics was vintage westerns at $5 apiece, they sold and sold.

Thanks Rick. Yeah, other than exceptions, HB books seem to sit for me too. PBs usually sell well for me too. But I usually concentrate on the better covers. Often bring a lot more than $5. Same with Pulps. BLBs are interesting. I have quite a few. I have always really liked them. Hard to leave nice ones in nice shape at flea markets. Haven’t brought out any for sale in quite a while because I keep hearing the market is real soft. Did you have to discount them a lot?

Interesting to hear you sold a lot of Westerns. They are pretty dead out here especially the Dell photo covers. $5.00 a piece? hm

I have noticed I sell a ton of cheap stuff at shows. Happy to get rid of it though and people often buy large piles. So many better venues for the better stuff.

Sounds like a worthwhile show for you.(thumbsu