• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a reason why page color is missing from label?

15 posts in this topic

Just bought a book and it does not have page color indicated like most other slabs.  There is no page color field when doing a certification lookup as well but all other information is correct to the label.  Couple questions, does CGC have a reason to do this now or is this a QC thing?  How bothered would you be by this as far as owning it goes?

Used to be where I would just do a re-holder and move on but CGC takes a year now to do something as simple as that (speaking from personal experience).  I also can't trust them like I used to when cracking open slabs (also speaking from personal experience).  I have to be more selective.  Thanks for any help/advice.

I would contact cgc about it directly.  I would bet its just an error

If its a relatively modern book I wouldn't reholder it now as pages would obviously be white.  If you think it matters, just get it reholdered in a leisurely way, maybe save it until you're submitting something else too or at a convention to save on shipping costs.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, revat said:

I would contact cgc about it directly.  I would bet its just an error

If its a relatively modern book I wouldn't reholder it now as pages would obviously be white.  If you think it matters, just get it reholdered in a leisurely way, maybe save it until you're submitting something else too or at a convention to save on shipping costs.

Thanks, I probably won't bother reholdering at all is my feeling right now.  It is a modern title in 9.8 grade from the 90's so I might go with the assumption that it is white pages.  This is the first time I ran into something like this, but just checking if I am missing something as there are policy & grading changes I am sure I wasn't aware of.  Quicker to get a answer here than emailing CGC, but I will probably do that as well.  Thanks again Revat.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, jokiing said:

If you look up the certificate # that should give you the paper color. I wouldn't chance sending back for this minor QC issue.

Believe it or not, the page color is missing from the certificate lookup as well.  It's like CGC graders didn't even bother checking for it.  There must be a grader there who's being lazy, lol.  Thanks for your input, I think I agree with you about not sending it back.

Edited by Sky1

On 5/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, What'sTheNumberFor911? said:

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

How much more helpful would that really be?

It's the newer label graded last year (2021).  Just imagine a label with literally no page color note.  In the case of this label it would typically be right under the grade.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, jokiing said:

If you look up the certificate # that should give you the paper color. I wouldn't chance sending back for this minor QC issue.

Page quality entry should actually take place during the grading process, so while QC should have caught it, it's not really their fault...  :gossip:

But yeah, I wouldn't risk sending a 9.8 back for something this minor...

On 5/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

Page quality entry should actually take place during the grading process, so while QC should have caught it, it's not really their fault...  :gossip:

But yeah, I wouldn't risk sending a 9.8 back for something this minor...

More than just a grading (and QC) failure, this really highlights the poor quality of some of CGC's software interfaces. All books should have page quality, just as all books should have a grade (chosen only from the available list) and certain elements of the core label. We know, from errors like this, that their internal software doesn't enforce the appropriate safeguards, because you can have this book with no page quality, or the ".5" graded label that appeared some time ago. I myself have a Mechanical Error book at CGC right now because it's a title that wasn't in the census, and it shipped back to me mis-titled with the closest option that was already in the database; that's a very similar problem. 

I'm not saying that better software systems will prevent errors in general, but they're clearly contributing to the problems.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, Qalyar said:

I myself have a Mechanical Error book at CGC right now because it's a title that wasn't in the census, and it shipped back to me mis-titled with the closest option that was already in the database; that's a very similar problem. 

That's the kind of stuff that shouldn't take place, but does...

I'm not saying that better software systems will prevent errors in general, but they're clearly contributing to the problems.

I suppose as long as there's a chance for human error these kinds of things are going to happen. Lord knows I've seen some pretty crazy stuff, and of course it's not just at CGC. In my view, the trick is being able to catch the mistakes and correct them before they become an even bigger problem...  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 5/6/2022 at 2:00 PM, The Lions Den said:

That's the kind of stuff that shouldn't take place, but does...

I suppose as long as there's a chance for human error these kinds of things are going to happen. Lord knows I've seen some pretty crazy stuff, and of course it's not just at CGC. In my view, the trick is being able to catch the mistakes and correct them before they become an even bigger problem...  

Right. The goal of a software system supporting an operation like CGC's should be two-fold. First, it should help the employees avoid errors, to the best extent possible. Second, it should provide support for detecting potential errors and attributing them to the responsible party. Unfortunately, from what I've been able to glean about CGC's proprietary software via the sorts of errors it allows, it isn't very good at either of those things. If I lived anywhere close to CGC, I'd offer them a great consultation rate on software and data management services, haha!

I myself have a Mechanical Error book at CGC right now because it's a title that wasn't in the census, and it shipped back to me mis-titled with the closest option that was already in the database; that's a very similar problem. 

Curious, did you just accept this and move on or plan to reholder?  I wonder if the mentality for people who get errors like this consider it unique or prefer something to be in a more "official" capacity.  I know it's a to each their own type of deal, but it's nice to get opinions.  More specifically to my issue, I wonder how missing page quality reflects upon the actual grade to others.  Like you said, it should be a part of every grade and be error checked so that it isn't missing.  It seems like they didn't even bother checking page quality because it's missing on the label and cert lookup.  Doesn't instill confidence in their grading system either as this may go past a clerical issue if graders glossed over this, but who knows.

Sounds like missing page quality isn't the norm though and judging by the reactions so far my issue is not surprising to anyone either.

Edited by Sky1

On 5/6/2022 at 3:41 PM, Sky1 said:

Curious, did you just accept this and move on or plan to reholder?  I wonder if the mentality for people who get errors like this consider it unique or prefer something to be in a more "official" capacity.  I know it's a to each their own type of deal, but it's nice to get opinions.  More specifically to my issue, I wonder how missing page quality reflects upon the actual grade to others.  Like you said, it should be a part of every grade and be error checked so that it isn't missing.  It seems like they didn't even bother checking page quality because it's missing on the label and cert lookup.  Doesn't instill confidence in their grading system either as this may go past a clerical issue if graders glossed over this, but who knows.

Sounds like missing page quality isn't the norm though and judging by the reactions so far my issue is not surprising to anyone either.

My book with the wrong title on the label went back to Sarasota under a Mechanical Error invoice, pretty much immediately, and is currently waiting in line to be corrected and reholdered.

I'm not sure if I'd bother on a Modern book missing PQ. I probably would, to be honest, because if errors don't make them eat shipping costs, there's even less motivation to clean up the system's flaws.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:50 PM, What'sTheNumberFor911? said:

Label donkeys hee haw.

Sounds like a person that can only afford a Superpro #6...in 3.0 grade...purple label...at a 50% discount.  But you keep telling yourself labels don't matter renegade.  I'm just kidding lol

If it makes you happy I'm not going to do anything about the label.  I wanted to see what this was about or if there were changes to labeling.  CGC isn't the same company it was two years ago and I haven't been keeping up.