• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From the NY Times : Vincent Zurzolo article
5 5

83 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 1:34 PM, Bronty said:

In fairness, I understand what you're saying.    Everyone writes all sorts of "look at me" posts everywhere these days.   But I also understand he's promoting his business and if talking about moisturizing gets him in the paper, then he's got to stay hydrated (shrug)

I see that side of it too Bronty. I’m not oblivious to the value of transforming the old fashioned notion of a comic book dealer into a full fledged “life style” brand. It’s probably smart business. But the article and all the subtext associated with it are just too perverse and too ridiculous not to be mocked. And if some of my comments appear mean spirited it’s just because of personal experiences and philosophical differences that are probably better to restrain going forward, lest it appear that I am merely a “negative” to Vincent’s albeit fake, “positive”.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Peter G said:

I see that side of it too Bronty. I’m not oblivious to the value of transforming the old fashioned notion of a comic book dealer into a full fledged “life style” brand. It’s probably smart business. But the article and all the subtext associated with it are just too perverse and too ridiculous not to be mocked. And if some of my comments appear mean spirited it’s just because of personal experiences and philosophical differences that are probably better to restrain going forward, lest it appear that I am merely a “negative” to Vincent’s albeit fake, “positive”.

So you're telling me you have dry skin.... !

On 5/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Peter G said:

The article about the comic book dealer is admittedly heavy on lifestyle and light on comics.    That being said, its supposed to be a "how this new yorker spends his sunday" article, so from my POV its basically understandable.    Its for a wide audience. 

If that was an article in a comic book trade magazine/website of some sort, ie for a narrow audience, I'd probably agree with you.

I.e. the day that that say (Gemstone's) Scoop starts posting skin care routines, yeah, I'm probably mocking it too. 

Edited by Bronty

On 5/9/2022 at 3:41 PM, Bronty said:

The article about the comic book dealer is admittedly heavy on lifestyle and light on comics.    That being said, its supposed to be a "how this new yorker spends his sunday" article, so from my POV its basically understandable.    Its for a wide audience. 

If that was an article in a comic book trade magazine/website of some sort, ie for a narrow audience, I'd probably agree with you.

I.e. the day that that say (Gemstone's) Scoop starts posting skin care routines, yeah, I'm probably mocking it too. 

Haha. I’m not trying to recruit anybody to my side of the boat. You can stay on your side. It’s ok. 😘

On 5/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, Peter G said:

Haha. I’m not trying to recruit anybody to my side of the boat. You can stay on your side. It’s ok. 😘

Oh I get it ;)   Internet debates never result in recruitment to any side of any boat.    Except maybe the Titanic.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, lighthouse said:

There’s a lot of crazy in this story. But craziest to me is that Metropolis only has 250,000 comics in inventory.

Warehouses in Manhattan ain’t cheap plus they’re all Action 1’s. I would have been much more interested in some hard hitting questions about his views on fractional share ownership of comic books and its long term impact on the market. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 5/8/2022 at 3:04 PM, batman_fan said:

Am I the only one disappointed they didn't cover his colonic ritual?

Oh snap!

I'm anxious to know how Vinnie's dietary regimen will impact future GA sales..

It's comforting to know that eating copious amounts of kale will not constipate the market. :whee:

On 5/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, lighthouse said:

There’s a lot of crazy in this story. But craziest to me is that Metropolis only has 250,000 comics in inventory.

And they only sell 50,000 a year. That’s 250 long boxes or less than 1 a day. 

I bet he loses money every year too. 

On 5/10/2022 at 6:15 AM, namisgr said:

So let's see now.  There was a story in a Sunday Lifestyle section of the Times about Vincent Z.

He works hard to stay in physical shape and eat healthy, and benefits from meditation.  He's also got a thing for skin care.

He loves his dad, who's still chugging along independently at 95.  He learned cooking from his parents and enjoys doing it.

He has a good connection with his wife, which started over comic books.

He loves comic books and still reads them for enjoyment.

He is enthusiastic about comics as long term investments.

Reprehensible.

My only regret is that the article wasn't longer. 

Edited by october

On 5/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, october said:

. Hopefully they will publish the sequel that absolutely no one demanded.

It could make for even better non-reading than the first! :luhv:

On 5/10/2022 at 12:10 PM, adamstrange said:

It could make for even better non-reading than the first! :luhv:

Just because it’s ‘news that’s fit to print’ don’t mean it’s news that’s fit to read.