• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P. George Perez
4 4

86 posts in this topic

As much detail as the man put into his work, even when he really didn't have to (think of all those crowd scenes!), he obviously really loved his work.  And if that's not the definition of the Good Life, I don't know what is.  RIP Mr. Perez.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:04 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It is impossible to overstate the impact on my life that George Perez had. He and Marv Wolfman changed the course of my entire life.

I didn't buy comics as a kid. I remember owning a single comic as a kid, Rom #47. I read books, mostly fantasy/adventure type stuff like the Oz books, LOTR, Jack London, John Steinbeck, Encyclopedia Brown, Choose Your Own Adventure, stuff like that.

In the summer of 1989, I was 17, and working at a Boy Scout camp in Willits, CA, north of Ukiah. I was an avid reader of books, so I haunted used book stores to find stuff I'd be interested in. In town, there was a used book store, so on my day off, I decided to check it out. I discovered there that they had comics for sale, too. I wasn't too interested, but I noticed a "50 cent" bin. Since I'm a notorious cheapskate, I decided to see what was there. I found, to my delight, that there were comics with cover prices of $2.50 and even $2.95...for 50 cents! I could sell these for COVER price, and make a HUGE profit!

Little did I know, of course...

At the same time, Batman the movie was all the rage, and I loved it. Absolutely loved it. So, I looked at the new comics rack, and they had the latest issues of Batman (#437-439, Year 3) for sale. I bought them as well. They didn't have #436, as this was August, and Batmania was in full swing. I read #437-439 anyway, and though I didn't get the whole context, enough of it was there that I could piece together the story.

Well, I took that small pile of comics home with me, and promptly moved on to other things. While I completely loved the Batman movie, the comics were just a casual purchase, an attempt to perhaps cash in on the hype, and not anything I even thought about once I got home and put them in a box.

But that fall, I made some new friends who were much more into comics than I was, so in January of 1990, we went to an actual comic book store for the first time in my life...the Land of Nevawuz, in Danville, CA. I can, to this day, 32+ years later, still remember exactly what the circumstances of that first visit were...the sights, the look of the store, everything. On that fateful night, the store had this book on the rack:

s-l1600.jpg

The best part is...it was FREE!! Well, I couldn't say no to THAT! And that may have well been the very first comic book I actually read since that Rom #47 years before. And in that book was reprinted a section from The New Teen Titans #39...the prelude to the Judas Contract. I was totally intrigued, and knew I'd have to track down the rest of this storyline. I had no idea who "Marv Wolfman" or "George Perez" were, but I knew that I was really fascinated with what I had read, and needed more.

Of course, I had missed "A Lonely Place of Dying" completely, so I was a little miffed. After searching the local Bay Area comic stores, I found that some of them had Batman #440 and #442...for $5 each! ARGH! Now I HAD to have them, but I was determined not to pay "full market retail" for them. I continued my hunt, and eventually was able to track down the entire storyline, as well as my missing #436, and then I read them. The fact that all of these books tied in with one another just made it all the more fascinating, and by then, I was completely hooked. When I finally read Lonely Place of Dying, I so much connected with Tim Drake, as the "anti" Jason Todd (the Collins/Starlin Todd), that my very first eBay user id was "Timdrake72."

As a result of that first initial contact, and then kickstart, comics became the major theme of the rest of my life. For nearly 33 years, with few exceptions, comics have been the major focus of my life, as a collector, as a part-time dealer, and, for good chunks of my life, my sole source of income. And I've loved nearly every minute of it.

If I hadn't visited the Land of Nevawuz on that fateful night, and picked up that free reprint book, and read that reprint of New Teen Titans #39, and been inspired to track down those missing Lonely Place of Dying and Year 3 books, so I could finally read them...I may never have gotten into comics at all. But because I was fascinated by the story I had read, and the collector bug in me to have the ones I was missing was strong, it sparked a lifelong avocation that has become a central focus of my entire life.

And it's all due to George Perez and Marv Wolfman.

George Perez quite literally changed my life.

And for that, I will be deeply, deeply grateful.

PS. Though this is not the first copy of New Teen Titans #39...the story reprinted that I mentioned above...I ever owned, it was the nicest. I bought this for $2 in 1993 from the comic shop that bought out the Land of Nevawuz. The first time I saw that cover, I thought "man, this would be amazing to have sketched. Look at all that open white space! I know...I could get Nightwing on Dick's side, and Flash on Wally's side!"

It took me 22 years before the opportunity presented itself...but I finally got it. This one's a lifer:

599793395_ntt39cgcss.thumb.jpg.61b5f8171b5a14dd3a8b260bc225d128.jpg

PPS. I still have all those comics I bought in that used book store in Willits, CA. Never did make any money with 'em. That's ok. They're much more important to me now.

Fantastic post, RMA! :applause: 

I probably haven't opened NTT #39 in 25 years or more, but remember it vividly. That scene where Wally sees the other Titans going gaga over Robin and broods to himself 'welp, there you go, I knew I never really fit in here' (or similar) was so poignant and has always stayed with me... I'm sure a lot of loner kids related to that. The series was so rich with nuances and moments like that.

It's worth remembering too that George started the series as the artist, but was billed as a co-writer/co-creator with Marv as time went on.

Edited by Point Five

On 5/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, spideyfan68 said:

George (2).JPG

What an awesome picture.  

I never got to meet George, but this sure makes me wish I had.

Just look at his face.......you can't fake that......the genuine love and affection he had for his fans.  I'm sure you were absolutely thrilled to get a picture with him......but he looks even more excited to be taking a picture with you.  

The hobby has truly lost someone great.