• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing A Marvel Value Stamp? Here's Where To Find 'Em
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Warning: This post contains details that may distress purists: Bought some very low priced, ungraded comics today from my LCS including a Defenders 15 which, when I got it home, turned out to have the MVS cut out. Luckily MyComicShop gives you the information on which stamp the comic was printed with and the following site (link below,) shows them all so you can get creative with printing and mounting a replacement. It's a really worthwhile site even if you don't need to print out the stamps. :peace:

http://mvstamps.blogspot.com/p/marvel-value-stamps-listed-by-number.html

On 5/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, shadroch said:

The back of the stamps wouldn't match the back of the page, does it?

Precisely. However, it's a great list if you want to fill the MVS stamp book. If "surgery" is what you're thinking about, you'd have to use the same exact issue. :shiftyeyes:

On 5/8/2022 at 1:26 AM, shadroch said:

The back of the stamps wouldn't match the back of the page, does it?

No, but in this case the page behind is an advert, so no loss of story/art. In reply to Matt The Duck: The comic is incomplete before my 'surgery' anyway so nothing to lose. I always include a small note with all my comics (where/when bought, note on grade/condition etc) so all above board. Besides I never sell. 

I feel the shop should really note any cut outs even on cheap ungraded items, unless they just missed it. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:33 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

No, but in this case the page behind is an advert, so no loss of story/art. In reply to Matt The Duck: The comic is incomplete before my 'surgery' anyway so nothing to lose. I always include a small note with all my comics (where/when bought, note on grade/condition etc) so all above board. Besides I never sell. 

I feel the shop should really note any cut outs even on cheap ungraded items, unless they just missed it. 

I replaced one stamp in a cheap book once as an experiment with tear seals. To make the mis-matched back fit, I did two things - used a thicker tear seal on that side of the page only (no seal on the stamp side) AND before attaching it I applied tape to the middle and ripped it off - gaving it a 'natural' looking tape pull (so you don't immediately notice the middle art does not match, and the seal spread around the edges obfuscate the rest). Its still obvious for anyone looking at it carefully, but when flipping through now just looks like a regular defect.